PVE Suggestion: Node icons

Options
Chirus
Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
What if the nodes had better labeling to describe order? Easy nodes have a green outline. Hard nodes have a purple outline. 2, 3, 4, 5 essential nodes would be denoted with the appropriate number and a star underneath the node (next to the refresh arrow). And challenge nodes could have a skull underneath them. 

Comments

• CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I’d rather have indicators for “full points available”, “timer started”, and “full completion”.
  • Chirus
    Options
    Hmm... The instances where full points available are useful seem less frequent. Although, I'm not one to refuse a positive UI change. I'm less clear on what you mean by "full completion". Do you mean when 0 points are available on a node? That could also be useful information to have visible as a graphic, even if it's only temporarily until the node generates a point again. A lot of seconds have been wasted cycling through the green checkmarks. I feel that pain, lol.

I don't see the problem as an either/or type situation, btw. I think any suggestion that improves readability of the UI and communicates the game mechanics to the player better is worth proposing.  No need to shoot your idea down to prop mine up. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Points full would be useful for two day subs only.
    While we're at graphical improvements, give us indicators for the node order in the mess that is the Florida sub, please.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    While we're at graphical improvements, give us indicators for the node order in the mess that is the Florida sub, please.
    I'd rather have them just redesign the map and get rid of all of the one time nodes and add a boss node to it. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shardwick said:
    Bowgentle said:
    I'd rather have them just redesign the map and get rid of all of the one time nodes and add a boss node to it. 
    Let's be realistic here - that's a lot more work than just a visual aid, not gonna happen 🤣
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Chirus said:
    Hmm... The instances where full points available are useful seem less frequent. Although, I'm not one to refuse a positive UI change. I'm less clear on what you mean by "full completion". Do you mean when 0 points are available on a node? That could also be useful information to have visible as a graphic, even if it's only temporarily until the node generates a point again. A lot of seconds have been wasted cycling through the green checkmarks. I feel that pain, lol.
    Myself, I sometimes skip a node to hit the wave nodes first, then forget to do my 3/4 clears to start the timer. “Full points available” would be beneficial for me (and as Bowgentle said, two day subs)

Full completion is the green check mark. 6/6 or 4/4 clears if SCL10. I’d like it to stay as an indicator.

Maybe an indicator if there are >10 points (or any other number) available up for grabs?

I don’t think it’s necessary to indicate the essentials any differently than it is now. When I was growing my roster, I would just select it and it would lock me out if I didn’t have the character. Currently, I don’t even know who the 2-4* essentials are before playing an event. I only look up the 5* essential and the 5* buff list.

Chirus said:
    No need to shoot your idea down to prop mine up. 
    No offence taken. Same thing to you. We’re just brainstorming.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    shardwick said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Let's be realistic here - that's a lot more work than just a visual aid, not gonna happen 🤣
    I'm not so sure about that. In that Q&A thread that Lakestone did he said that there is a lot of data involved in creating and maintaining of events so for all we know adding a lot of visual aids would take more work. Not to mention that Florida uses the same graphic, albeit a different color, that the first sub of Enemy of the State used so they could take the node layout of the EotS sub, tweak it a bit to add in the challenge node and also add in a boss node.
  • Chirus
    Options
    Chirus said:
    Myself, I sometimes skip a node to hit the wave nodes first, then forget to do my 3/4 clears to start the timer. “Full points available” would be beneficial for me (and as Bowgentle said, two day subs)

Full completion is the green check mark. 6/6 or 4/4 clears if SCL10. I’d like it to stay as an indicator.

Maybe an indicator if there are >10 points (or any other number) available up for grabs?

I don’t think it’s necessary to indicate the essentials any differently than it is now. When I was growing my roster, I would just select it and it would lock me out if I didn’t have the character. Currently, I don’t even know who the 2-4* essentials are before playing an event. I only look up the 5* essential and the 5* buff list.

Chirus said:
    No need to shoot your idea down to prop mine up. 
    No offence taken. Same thing to you. We’re just brainstorming.
    When it comes to optimal play, there is a correct order to essential nodes, so anything that could communicate to the player exactly what they're clicking on before they click on it would be useful information.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ANY UI update so I don't have to tap into and out of a node just to see the difference between "Points Refreshing" and "Full Points".
    We already have a status type for "All Rewards Claimed".  A simple update for a 3rd status shouldn't be pulling teeth.  Just make it a different colored "yellow swirl" as a first pass update, just SOMETHING.  Can make incremental improvements along the way after that with some of these suggestions.

UI is the hardest aspect of video game dev to get right (after animation if it's a character heavy game).  It is always left to the end and never given the time/resources it needs.