How to Fix Green Goblin

Venomous
Venomous Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
So I have spoken many many times of my love towards my Gobby. He's fun but it's clear he needs a tune up. Atleast some changes to help make them better in the current state of the game. While he is old, he does hold up fairly well at times because of his strong niche in countdown tiles. 

It's on that note that I wanted to bring up this question as a sorta of thought experiment. 

What changes or edits to his kit would you make to his kit to make him more viable while also keeping to his core identity. 

Upon using him so often and for so long, the first thing I wanted to propose was a change to Goblin Glider. While my idea isn't super strong, I feel like thematically it could be cool. The change I would make to it is to have it respawn in the case that the tile is matched. Upon using the ability, you are unable to use the ability again. But my idea is that if the enemy manages to successfully match it, it can come back. However the first time you use it, it is a 2 turn countdown until you match it again. But if the enemy manages to match the tile, it will then come back over and over again as a 3 turn until it manages to reach 0. 

I do understand it isn't very strong but it's a strangely big improvement still for the character instead of just being unable to perform the ability. It works thematically because it would then feel like you are fighting both Green Goblin and the Glider. The enemy now forced to make sure to keep matching it away or else he can do upwards of 20k damage again. 

This idea would made even cooler if he was given a passive I feel would be very befitting for his fortification. What if we had a passive that made it so if the enemy matches a friendly countdown tile, they take damage. It would have some excellent synergy with others who make countdowns and would make him a serious threat even with countdowns. 

That said. What do you think? 

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    You could do something with the glider that would be more interesting. Make him go airborne for 2-3 turns and do damage on return. Put a glider token on the board if it is matched he is returned from airborne with no damage. ie he got knocked off his glider.
    I never liked that countdown version of his ability.
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
    dianetics said:
    You could do something with the glider that would be more interesting. Make him go airborne for 2-3 turns and do damage on return. Put a glider token on the board if it is matched he is returned from airborne with no damage. ie he got knocked off his glider.
    I never liked that countdown version of his ability.
    That could be fun. The idea of him going airborne and being knocked out of the air is great but honestly trying to think over other fun ways he could play. For example what if instead of damage, a passive made it so his countdowns still go down even when airborne. We already have a few characters who can make matches while airborne afterall. 
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    He’s one of the easiest to fix. His kit still fits, is fun and it’s creative. Only problem is power creep. First, obviously, he needs health and match damage buffs, to at least middling. When the black was the nuke of nukes in the game the countdown made sense, but now that the nuke is way back in the pack, the drawback makes him unplayable. I’d push the numbers into the 30k range and reduce the countdown to 1. Would make the yellow irrelevant to the black but otherwise the damage has to get pushed even higher to levels that don’t make sense imo. I’d lower the purple to 9 and do 3 strikes or protects and 3 turn stun, but would leave the steal and straight damage. Wouldn’t touch yellow. Those fixes don’t make him top tier but they leave him (quite) usable when boosted, a la Phoenix. 
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Give him the Phoenix treatment. 

Up the match damage
    up the health
    up the damage of his nukes
    up the power of his special tiles
    lower the cost of his powers
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 548 Critical Contributor
    This had been a topic of discussion for a while. @Kolence had a poll up for his rebalance and I will direct the link here:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/973552#Comment_973552

My thoughts were posted there, essentially everything @Tiger_Wong said above, but I would add an alternate buff while his glider is gone/destroyed (healing or match damage) or my favorite clause, throw a random pun’kin bomb on match-4 or 5. That would be dope.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lazy fix is just increase the number of countdown tiles his purple Spawns, increase the damage on his black so it’s a Nuke worth the risk on, and of course raise his health & match damage.

Comic-wise the Goblin Serum is one of the ubiquitous Super Solder Serums, so I’d argue he should be on the higher end of Health & Match Damage.  Nothing crazy mind you, but he’s always been one of Spidy’s Biggest Bads for a reason.

I’m all for fun new perks to old characters, but if the goal is to make Gobby usable in the current Meta, we don’t need to go crazy.

And while we’re talking about this half of Norman, it sure seems a waste for Iron Patriot to still be locked to the console version.