Release Notes 5.7.0

Options
2»

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @BongoTheGrey - It’s true about if all are OP…. However I do not agree with the rest. White is not OP, PMA Ajani is extremely OP. I base that on I never see any other white mono PW in my matches, so PMA Ajani is dominating white, not the other way around. 
    Which leads me to blue, where you do see a plethora of blue PW’s playing a small range of cards that is seen again and again. 

Green is mainly strong in legacy, but I suppose green is strong when played together with blue, so you get the loop going of green conversion and blue card drawing.

Red is ridiculously underwhelming and black is to slow to really shine. (This is the ultra short version).
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That's the beauty of the game. We all see it differently because there are thousands of different interactions available!

By the way, I'm not khurram  ;)
  • Tremayne
    Options
    That's the beauty of the game. We all see it differently because there are thousands of different interactions available!

By the way, I'm not khurram  ;)
    @BongoTheGrey - I apologise for the mistake.

and yes MTGPQ is great in that regard. 😆😂
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dakkon will be interesting to see. It is kind of odd he has nothing tied to lands though. Since the original had loyalty counters equal to the lands you control. The original creature power/toughness was a */* with the number of lands you control. Though he does look like he will play well in the current META. Kind of look forward to using him with a healer of the pride deck. Ramp up to that third real quick. I like the built in surveil, the second seems a bit high of cost, but the third looks like all sorts of fun. 

He's modeled after "Dakkon, Shadow Slayer", rather than the Legends card "Dakkon Blackblade".
  • fishiwan
    fishiwan Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Riveteers Charm mentions cards gaining "Outcast". Any idea what this is?
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fishiwan said:
    It’s in Kami

• wraszowixuXuxi
    wraszowixuXuxi Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    fishiwan said:
    It was also an ability used by Chandra, Dressed to Kill, from Crimson Vow.

The wiki doesn't have her abilities posted on it, but you can check her level 60 stats in game by checking out her part of the "Select an Avatar" in Profile, even if you don't have her yourself.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fishiwan said:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/86079/release-notes-5-3-0/p1

• Nyarlathotep
    Nyarlathotep Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Blue converting gems to blue has almost always been a thing. 
    Grim Flayer could convert to blue and is an old card. 
    I don't even start talking about storm the vault and or urza. 

But I can almost hear you say:
    BUT this were different, those are no cheap spells.
    And I totally agree with you. 

What about Unwind. 
    Suddenly the concept of a card doing multiple things while also converting to blue is not that new anymore...

Dominaria had unwind, which drained mana and converted to blue. Dies it include green? No. 
    Is it cheap enough to cast to be abused in a loop? Yes.
    How do I know that it worked?
    Because I used it in a Blue Sun Zenith deck

Blue is the meta-magician's color. And as far as I am concerned it is not even close to its full power here in mtgpq. 

Blue has always been feared, even in paper. 
    And here in mtgpq blue doest even have access to it's best concept. 

Could you imagine how a new mtgpq standard set could change the so called META if it came with actual counter spells?
    And I mean a real counter, not those useless drain cards... 
    counter target XYZ, Give it something like flash, rework flash so that I can use it even it Greg does not have a creature out. 
    Or come up with something new that let's me react to stuff and finally let me counter those nonsense boardwipes and control cards and deploys and such. Simply because I'm a blue mage and greg did not say please before he decided to cast stuff. 

That would be scary. 

How many green conversion spells do we have? 
    Some even recall cards from the gy, or heal like 30 health, or are ridiculously cheap to cast and instantly fill the whole hand with mana. 
    Which it a thing that should not be possible, too. Not for green. 

The only thing that scares me about a blue spell converting to blue is the freezes it will cause because a support gem got destroyed that way. 😁

Cheers mate. 
  • spellsmasher
    spellsmasher Posts: 55 Match Maker
    edited June 2022
    Options

madwren said:
    Dakkon will be interesting to see. It is kind of odd he has nothing tied to lands though. Since the original had loyalty counters equal to the lands you control. The original creature power/toughness was a */* with the number of lands you control. Though he does look like he will play well in the current META. Kind of look forward to using him with a healer of the pride deck. Ramp up to that third real quick. I like the built in surveil, the second seems a bit high of cost, but the third looks like all sorts of fun. 

He's modeled after "Dakkon, Shadow Slayer", rather than the Legends card "Dakkon Blackblade".
    I think you skipped past the sentence previous to this, where I stated the original has loyalty counters equal to the the lands you control, from the planes walker Dakkon, Shadow Slayer

<a href="https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=522268">https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=522268</a> <code>https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=522268
  • Tremayne
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @Nyarlathotep - great post with a alternative angle. While I agree with the fact that Blue has historically had gem conversion available. I struggle a bit with your arguments.

This game is a match-3 game and I actually think the way gem conversion has been implemented through lands (and a few artifacts) is one incredibly well designed mechanism. So support cards that convert gems is a necessity and most of the gem conversion for blue has been limited in some way.
    f.ex. StV destroys the treasures that makes it convert a large amount of gems.

I think breaking the basic rules are ok from time to time, but there has to be a limiting factor. Urza is a masterpiece and he only becomes bonkers when paired with a mythic, at the cost of one of the 3 creature slots. CYL is a measly (un)common.

Blue spells with gem conversion have typically been accessible to green and have had a poor cost to gem ratio in order to avoid abusing card drawing and gem conversion. Your example with unwind is a fine example of this. CYL has a 1:1 ratio which is on par with green mythics.

Finally, there is the added milling enabler in CYL. Is it seen as a boon or a curse to others? I see it as a boon, but maybe someone can explain why it is a curse for the casting player.

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hey @Oktagon_Support is Zendikar in or out? It's move to Legacy in Booster Crafting, but is still in Standard TG and appears in the 6 hourly free boosters.
    Thanks, LOVE the new set!!
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    TheHunter said:
    Hey @Oktagon_Support is Zendikar in or out? It's move to Legacy in Booster Crafting, but is still in Standard TG and appears in the 6 hourly free boosters.
    Thanks, LOVE the new set!!
    Its not in legacy, it seems to have disappeared from booster crafting completely