The new (though old) PvE events: How a bug can become a feature

Godzillafan67
Godzillafan67 Posts: 497 Mover and Shaker
edited May 2022 in MPQ General Discussion
At the start of the recent Infinite Pursuit event, a bug allowed players to earn awards from nodes and play for full progression without having to wait for the subevents to open. What if the devs added PvE events that did exactly what the bug did?

A few notes:
  • We would still be playing the same PvE events (no new content created) for the same progression and node awards.
  • Subevents only open when their required node is completed.
  • There would be no placement awards.
  • We can complete all nodes at our leisure within the event's normal timeframe, either 3 or 4 days.
  • To keep programming needs down, nodes retain their standard refresh time after a number of rewards are earned.
  • No one is getting anything for free; all rewards must be earned.
  • This would help address the game's bloated roster and resource scarcity.
  • Alternatively, these events are of the PvE-only type that some players have been asking for.
  • Edit add: I envision these events running a few weeks after the competitive version runs.

Comments

• jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    How does removing placement awards and implementing this change for "the same progression and node rewards" do anything to help bloated roster and resource scarcity? 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's going to happen to the placement rewards? The dev will not put top tier placement rewards such as 150 5* shards or 2 LTs into progression rewards.

What are top alliances going to do with their 550 Okoye and 550 Apocalypse? They'll have nothing to live for.  :D
  • Godzillafan67
    How does removing placement awards and implementing this change for "the same progression and node rewards" do anything to help bloated roster and resource scarcity? 
    If you're playing SCL10, full progression nets you 1/2 of a 5* cover. If you were able to get progression again a few weeks later, you will now have a full cover. When it comes to getting covers for the older 5*s, that makes a bit of difference. Plus, you'll be gathering tokens, iso, and hp along the way, in both progression and node rewards.

What's going to happen to the placement rewards? The dev will not put top tier placement rewards such as 150 5* shards or 2 LTs into progression rewards.

What are top alliances going to do with their 550 Okoye and 550 Apocalypse? They'll have nothing to live for.  :D
    There are no placement rewards. The placement rewards that were awarded in the competitive version of the event aren't incorporated into this one. To address anyone thinking that these are "extra" rewards, they are no different than rewards gained from concurrently running events, like Welcome to SHIELD or Puzzle Gauntlet.

There is a subset of players clamoring for a break from MPQ. Please feel free not to play. :)
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't mind being able to do it all on one, three or whenever I wanted. I would be happy to lose the placement rewards too if it happened. It would be a massive quality of life change.
  • HoundofShadow
    If we were to use the "estimated baselines" of how the dev design such events by comparing all non-timed events, I think you would be greatly disappointed with the progression rewards because even if they were to incorporate your idea, they would also greatly nerf the progression rewards.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    If you're playing SCL10, full progression nets you 1/2 of a 5* cover. If you were able to get progression again a few weeks later, you will now have a full cover. When it comes to getting covers for the older 5*s, that makes a bit of difference. Plus, you'll be gathering tokens, iso, and hp along the way, in both progression and node rewards.
    What you are describing is how things work currently. How are your changes improving that? We already get 1/2 a 5* cover plus tokens, iso, and HP along the way to full SCL10 progression. If people can access any sub-event during the entirety of the event's run, they would simply achieve max progression, like is already done, but lose out on placement rewards. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    If we were to use the "estimated baselines" of how the dev design such events by comparing all non-timed events, I think you would be greatly disappointed with the progression rewards because even if they were to incorporate your idea, they would also greatly nerf the progression rewards.
    I wouldn't care, I wouldn't even need them to add them in. For me the loss would be worth the QOL change.
  • Eirikr56
    Eirikr56 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    If you don't care about placement you can already do each event whenever you want. You will get full progression if you don't time the clears optimally and just clear all nodes fully each 24 hours. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Obviously I like this thread's tittle. 
    And so many times I suggested new features... I've lost the count. Anyway. 
    What devs should do after this bug is to track how many players racked up all the points possible and earned rewards inside the very few hours the bug was running. 
    If there were a lot of them, then actually there is room for a pve gauntlet like this.
    And then a new gauntlet with many subs could be implemented, a monthly gauntlet during 1 week like puzzle gauntlet, but defeating foes like pve, and please having to fight some of the hundreds of characters we actually never fight. An important feature would be enabling, once and for all, scl levels for a gauntlet. 
    And no rankings placement, of course (not playing like a madman 1 ininterrupted hour).
    And talking about yesterday, coincidentally I wanted to play slice 2 and I didn't notice it, if not I would keep playing at least until the first cp points. And the rewards were pretty good, Spider 2099.
  • Godzillafan67
    It's quite possible that I'd hang my head in sadness. However, when you're buying a car, you don't have the following one-sided conversation with the sales associate, "Please knock $250 off the price of the car and include 6 free oil changes. I was going to ask for $5000 off, but I know that you would negotiate me to accepting a higher price." Because now you're not getting those oil changes either. ;)

What you are describing is how things work currently. How are your changes improving that? We already get 1/2 a 5* cover plus tokens, iso, and HP along the way to full SCL10 progression. If people can access any sub-event during the entirety of the event's run, they would simply achieve max progression, like is already done, but lose out on placement rewards. 
    We all still get what we currently get.

Then, a few weeks later, you get the same content without placement awards, but the whole event can be played at your pace within the 3 or 4 day timeframe. Sometimes I have a lot of MPQ time on only two of the three/four days of an event, so it would be nice to be able to get all of the rewards completely at my leisure and as real life allows. For some, they might only choose this version of the event. Others will only play the competitive version. Those like me will play both versions for some/all of the node and progression rewards to advance our rosters in the hopes that we'll someday catch up to the big dogs. 
  • HoundofShadow
    This reminded me of one request that some veterans brought up quite frequently: bring back a certain pve. I think it was called heroic event or something. The concept seem similar to yours. However, two major complains were the rewards and character lock-out. I don't think the dev is going to be that generous.

If we were to look at the new non-timed event, it's typically one node per day. Even shield training unlock at best 4 nodes (not including top 2 nodes) per day, with limited rewards. I think that's the kind of rewards I'm expecting if they go ahead with this. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2022
    I love your idea of no placement rewards . It’s brilliant to anyone with basic common sense . This would eliminate the need some players have to live their lives around a video game and you could play freely all hours of the day . It wouldn’t even matter the times the nodes started .The devs could actually just start one new node every 24 hours and everyone could play at their convenience. It would also level the playing field for all players to advance. [redacted]

**Mod note: Removed inappropriate comment. - fight4thedream
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    I'm confused. If the placement rewards aren't added to the progression rewards what is the beneficial difference to how things currently are? If you're not concerned with placement rewards you can just do all nodes til the points are gone and still make full progress can't you?

• jsmjsmjsm00
    I'm confused. If the placement rewards aren't added to the progression rewards what is the beneficial difference to how things currently are? If you're not concerned with placement rewards you can just do all nodes til the points are gone and still make full progress can't you?

Thank you. This is exactly the point I tried bringing up days ago. 
  • NemoAbernnigan
    I'd be more interested in an event where the nodes don't run dry so you can make full progress on any day of the event personally. Some days I have the time and inclination to play more than is available. Other days I have neither the time nor inclination to play at all. So that would be a real quality of life upgrade for me. Being able to make full progression on the days where I actually can play a bunch as opposed to missing out on a bunch when I can't. You'd still miss out on individual node rewards for the ones you didn't play but at least you'd be able to get the progress rewards.
  • Godzillafan67

Thank you. This is exactly the point I tried bringing up days ago. 
    To be clear, you are correct. No one has said otherwise.

The benefit is that by getting full progression on both the competitive PvE and then also the non-competitive PvE, you're earning more iso, hp, and covers. If you're playing SCL10, you've just gained a whole 5* cover instead of half of one. If real life kept you from getting full progression on the competitive PvE, then you've got a second chance to get the rewards you missed on the subsequent non-competitive PvE.

You can participate in both events, one or the other, or neither. Well, most likely just the competitive PvE as I can't imagine the devs actually adding this mode to the game. :D

I'd be more interested in an event where the nodes don't run dry so you can make full progress on any day of the event personally. Some days I have the time and inclination to play more than is available. Other days I have neither the time nor inclination to play at all. So that would be a real quality of life upgrade for me. Being able to make full progression on the days where I actually can play a bunch as opposed to missing out on a bunch when I can't. You'd still miss out on individual node rewards for the ones you didn't play but at least you'd be able to get the progress rewards.
    The bugged event we had recently, which is what I'm proposing is added to the game, would be close to what you're asking for. You'd be able to get full progression on any one day where you're able and willing to do so. The problem with not allowing the nodes to run dry is that players could milk the easy nodes to get progression rewards that would normally be above their reach. (Certainly, one could debate whether that's actually a problem. I'd argue that is simply because resource chokepoints and abundance drive a number of game purchases, and this might upset the apple cart a bit too abruptly.)
  • NemoAbernnigan
    Ohhhh. I didn't realize you were proposing an entirely seperate version of the event in addition to the classic, I thought you meant it as an improvement to the current system. Being able to get full progress rewards twice per event sounds awesome, but definitely unlikely. Being able to get full progression from spamming lower tier nodes wasn't something I'd considered when I made my suggestion, but it's a fair point. If that's a problem though, I'd say that being able to get double the progress rewards is something that would be even more problematic.

I mean I'm all for it, but it would be a large influx of rewards- from the individual node rewards as well as the progression rewards. Maybe if they made the re-run have the same progress meter, so you aren't getting double the rewards, just a second chance at completing the full progression it would be more acceptable from the company's perspective?

I'm still kind of lost on how this second chance run would be any different from the standard though, other than it having no placement rewards.
  • Godzillafan67
    The other difference is that all sub events are available to play during the event’s run. For example, for Infinite Pursuit, you can play all four sub events to completion and get full progression on the second day if that’s the day that you’ve got time to play.