Up in Arms store is here

Options
2»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Note: my Wasp is not champed and I understand that she is clocked under the "bottom tier" category by many.

I find the concept of her powers fun and cool because the activation of her swarm tiles seem to be imitating wasp swarming around something and then attacking them. Back then, match damage multiplier wasn't a thing and increasing match damage by up to 120% was pretty big for 5*. Also, her locking of tiles via swarm bring back some sort of puzzle to the game.

However, the mechanic to create 12 swarm tiles was a difficult task because it requires  collecting a lot of aps, and her passive was working against her to maximise her match damage unless you can spam her powers in a single turn. Only a handful of characters could help her spam powers to hit 12 swarm tiles easily. The potential to destroy up to 48 tiles on the board was probably a sight to see and was the final blow to end the match.

2021 and beyond
    It's even more easier to help her spam swarm tiles but it means hitting 4-6 swarm tiles and getting stucked with +40-60% match damage unless you fire her blue multiple times before it kicks off. I understand that with many characters getting match damage increment passively, mostly permanently and effortlessly, with some up to 10000%, her one-time up to 120% match damage is less useful.

In short, she can be part of a fun explosive team with some of the modern 5*, if tiles destruction/manipulation and puzzle is your sort of thing.

At the risk of engaging in yet another round of the old argument:

It's totally fine to enjoy playing around with obscure teams and to enjoy figuring out how to extract some value from unpopular characters.

That is not, however, the same as those characters actually being good (insofar as we can use that term for MPQ characters).

Bravo for enjoying wasp, I truly applaud you for doing so. I can't go along with suggesting that means wasp is good.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Actually it's the same case than all older 5*s not rebalanced.
    Wasp, by herself, can't bring down no one. Same with HE, Banner, Logan, Iron man, and star lord before rebalance.
    The sinergy with others could justify their use but the numbers on their damage and AP are laughable.
    Sadly the rebalance rythm is slooow.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We are going really off topic now. But I believe such topic will pop up again in the future. Just a last note, some characters are late bloomers and some characters are just great/good the moment they are released. It reminds me of the arguement between nature and nurture.

Anyway, I'll like to restate that SPMM is good, with his team stun, up to 3 critical tiles, and second highest crit multiplier. With the MPQ forum contest giving R5 Web Shooter, it should sweeten the deal even further.

As for Starlord, he has the highest match damage in the game, and also has the second highest critical multiplier in the game as well. 
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2022
    Options
    We are going really off topic now. But I believe such topic will pop up again in the future. Just a last note, some characters are late bloomers and some characters are just great/good the moment they are released. It reminds me of the arguement between nature and nurture.

Anyway, I'll like to restate that SPMM is good, with his team stun, up to 3 critical tiles, and second highest crit multiplier. With the MPQ forum contest giving R5 Web Shooter, it should sweeten the deal even further.

As for Starlord, he has the highest match damage in the game, and also has the second highest critical multiplier in the game as well. 

What you're pointing out makes SPMM a good second, and a character like SL or Col (Col much better in this case) a good first... If we ever get a 5* that generates crits for "free" like AC we'll know balance has truly gone out the window. I'm choosing to believe that most heroes are undertuned nowadays because the design team knows we'll use them better than they can think to, unfortunately that does also result in some really underwhelming releases.
  • Wilger
    Wilger Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Options
    4 out of 40 pulls 1Gargantos 3 spiderchamp lvls sadly not the last starlord cover
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    8 pulls for three Star-Lord covers.
  • Vhailorx
    Options

I think it's a very bad idea to equate mpq characters to the nature v nurture debate, lest you accidentally imply that some people have value at birth, while others can only become valuable with "proper" rearing.  That is a giant pandora's box that goes nowhere good.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    Options
    One of the most popular metrics used by some players are damage/ap and if you do a random sampling of powers with similar number and/or types of effects, they fall within a certain range. If new characters are deliberately "nerfed" because of characters like Okoye or Apocalypse, I would say it's not true because those powers would fall below the range. Also, the dev mentioned recently in the Women of Marvel podcast that they use a lot of spreadsheet for balance, which is what they have been doing for years.

As for the nature vs nurture debate, isn't that what's happening in MPQ? Some characters were "born great", like Gambit 1.X, Okoye, Apocalypse, while others were deemed trash at birth, like Ultron, Wasp or Kingpin. I believe that every character has the potential to be good but most need "nurturing" to achieve their potentials. And this nurturing comes in the form of getting the right synergies to bring out their potentials. I think how players see character releases are similar to how our society views nature vs nurture. 
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Waited until the very end to mine the vault for that token.  Only took 2x 10-pulls to get the token (and 1x 4* cover).  Then did 1 pull from the token store and got shuma blue!

So crazy long odds, but I will take 3600hp for a 5* cover, even as I am just about to cross the painful 300 roster-slot threshold.