How much ipmroving would Captain America (First Avenger) need to be viable with a weekly boost?

Kolence
Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
edited February 2022 in MPQ Character Discussion
Time to look at the Civil War duo!

For this occasion we're allowed 2 polls in general, at the same time, so it's easier to compare how the forum sees their current state.

Also, this should be interesting for another reason, since Cap has already been improved quite a bit, though long ago by now.

For me, Cap is working ok, except for his Red, which is quite underwhelming. That's also the power that's tied to the CW side team affiliation mechanic, which means he's not hurt as much as IM by it. Plus he has more team members to boot.

I'd be happy with just match damage and health update and perhaps... fortifying that red CD at least? If we're talking more substantial changes, I'd change the team Cap/team IM mechanic completely, mostly for IM's benefit... :)

How much ipmroving would Captain America (First Avenger) need to be viable with a weekly boost? 22 votes

1. No need for a rework
0%
2. Updating match damage and health
9%
Kolenceentrailbucket 2 votes
3. The above plus power damage
0%
4. The above plus minor tweaks in power costs or other numbers
40%
Alfje17CharlieCrokerBubba3210Rod5mdreyer93captainheathskittledaddyBobdvolTimemachinego 9 votes
5. Needs a rework in 1 power
9%
KGBSt_Bernadus 2 votes
6. Needs a rework in 2 powers
18%
JackDeath666revskipPtahhotepGodzillafan67 4 votes
7. Needs a complete rework
13%
Marc_SpectortechgruntDavidk777 3 votes
8. Something else, please elaborate in a post
4%
Wilger 1 vote
9. I'm not sure
4%
ThaRoadWarrior 1 vote

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,806 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think he needs much.  His red is subpar but it's not a disaster, and if you don't have a red it's worth using.  When they buffed him they basically got rid of the Team Cap stuff.  It's still technically there but there's no reason to care about it.  The other two powers are quite good.  A stun on yellow is pretty crazy, and I think that's the only one.

If anything, he just needs a PR campaign?  At release he was SO bad that the reputation kind of stuck even after his buff, which is one of the best buffs they've ever done.  He's a really fun combo character who pairs well with a lot of other guys.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Give him Nick Fury's yellow and I'll be happy.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    6. Needs a rework in 2 powers
    Yellow and red need to be a couple of ap cheaper.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    4. The above plus minor tweaks in power costs or other numbers
    All of his numbers are pretty bad so I'd start there, I'd also just trash the entire team cap/team IM (it's a relic of a distinguisher) deal and balance up whatever slight difference that would have made.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    9. I'm not sure
    Mine isn’t champed yet, I couldn’t even tell you what he does. I think his yellow is one of those “all the avengers do stuff!” Powers that doesn’t itemize what any of them do, so job one is put the mechanics in there and not just the flavor.
  • entrailbucket
    It shows you what that power does in-game.  I'm not sure why it's just flavor text on the roster page. 

I only have this in a screenshot from the first time he was boosted.  I don't know what his unboosted level was back then, but it was very high.

At 5 covers, yellow costs 10ap and:

does 43,000 single target damage
    does 15,000 AoE damage
    makes 2 strength 3500 attack tiles
    makes 2 strength 6300 protect tiles
    and stuns a random enemy for 2 turns
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    9. I'm not sure
    Wow, that’s a pretty good power actually
  • entrailbucket
    Your numbers would be a lot lower than that, but it's still not awful.  Combine all that with a 7ap blue that hits harder for every special tile you've got, and the 4 tiles he drops get even better.

See?  Dude just needs some good PR.   He's really not bad at all, it's just that nobody has any idea what he does!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Your numbers would be a lot lower than that, but it's still not awful.  Combine all that with a 7ap blue that hits harder for every special tile you've got, and the 4 tiles he drops get even better.

See?  Dude just needs some good PR.   He's really not bad at all, it's just that nobody has any idea what he does!

Enh, he has no passives, no self acceleration, and relies on casting a 10ap power before his cheaper powers become useful.  The buff was helpful for sure. And he was SO bad that his rep is still lower than it should, but he is not actually good. Too slow and not contributing enough beyond his decent yellow and blue.
  • entrailbucket
    There are different definitions of good, and I am *not* opening that enormous unpleasant can of worms again. 

Cap is mostly good enough to be used when he's boosted.  He's not "meta," but these polls aren't asking him to be.
  • Wilger
    Wilger Posts: 94 Match Maker
    edited February 2022
    8. Something else, please elaborate in a post
    Just give us 13 covers so atleast he is playable to see what needs improving.

just having 1 cover is no basis on what to improve

Posibly atleast health and match dammage like most older ones need because of the power creep from the newer ones