How much improving would Thanos (The Mad Titan) need, to be viable with a weekly boost?

Options
13»

Comments

• ViralCore
    ViralCore Posts: 162 Tile Toppler
    Options
    y'all need your heads checked if you think Thanos needs rework before characters like Green Goblin, Wasp, Kingpin, Rescue, Black Suit and Peter Parker Spiderman. These characters have never seen the light of day. While Thanos is still useful in PVE.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Conceit of the thread is OP is just taking polls in release order
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just realised that Silver Surfer was buffed before? That must be pre-2018?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Star Lord and Banner were released around this time I seem to recall, and both could use a full on rework in my opinion.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    An expensive character who straight prevented match damage might force the use of power-based characters, though it would more likely just signal the return of Hulkoye based teams I guess.
    I feel like Colossus already does this function.  While he doesn't flat out prevent match damage, he largely forces players to either stun him or hit him with power based damage.  Its worth noting that Wanda addresses that weakness by negating powers based damage.  That's why the duo is so powerful 
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The above plus minor tweaks in power costs or other numbers
    Surfer was buffed about a year after his release, so pretty early overall in the 5-star history, by now. 

And yeah, the idea is to get the forum goers feel about each of the older 5-stars in todays pvp mostly. With each new poll / discussion thread. 

All should get their turn in a poll, just not all at once, so people can have a chance to give each character a fair consideration, so to speak. 

Well, unless the devs beat us to a character, but that's a win-win situation. Besides we'd all get to talk about that anyway... Just no poll and no speculating. :)
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No need for a rework
    I just realised that Silver Surfer was buffed before? That must be pre-2018?
    Yes.  He used to be way worse.  He's actually not *that* bad now, compared to the total dregs.

Starlord needs a total redo, he's just awful and changing the numbers won't help. 

Banner probably needs to be reworked too -- it's really hard to improve that "transform on death" mechanic very much without it being overpowered.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    No need for a rework
    Phumade said:
    An expensive character who straight prevented match damage might force the use of power-based characters, though it would more likely just signal the return of Hulkoye based teams I guess.
    I feel like Colossus already does this function.  While he doesn't flat out prevent match damage, he largely forces players to either stun him or hit him with power based damage.  Its worth noting that Wanda addresses that weakness by negating powers based damage.  That's why the duo is so powerful 
    Colossus is asymmetrical.  He prevents match damage to his team only.  Symmetrical powers like Thanos purple have the same effect for both sides.

My point way back there was that you can make much more powerful effects if they're symmetrical, because that creates a downside.  Thanos purple is good against certain enemies, but it also stops you from doing some stuff you might want to do.  Blob is another example, he removes friendly and enemy special tiles.

A symmetrical Colossus would be terrible, but only because we already have one that only affects the enemy team. 

They could make some cool powers in this space though -- we have guys who can't be stunned, what about a guy who says *nobody* can be stunned?  Or that you can only generate AP from matches?  Or someone who imposes a Peggy-style tax on both sides?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade said:
    Colossus is asymmetrical.  He prevents match damage to his team only.  Symmetrical powers like Thanos purple have the same effect for both sides.

My point way back there was that you can make much more powerful effects if they're symmetrical, because that creates a downside.  Thanos purple is good against certain enemies, but it also stops you from doing some stuff you might want to do.  Blob is another example, he removes friendly and enemy special tiles.

A symmetrical Colossus would be terrible, but only because we already have one that only affects the enemy team. 

They could make some cool powers in this space though -- we have guys who can't be stunned, what about a guy who says *nobody* can be stunned?  Or that you can only generate AP from matches?  Or someone who imposes a Peggy-style tax on both sides?
    Interesting concept.  I wonder if they had explicitly considered that design aspect. I'm sure someone will pass this note onto the designers for consideration.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Archangel (at 3 cover)and Angel Aerial's Superiority affects both teams.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    No need for a rework
    Archangel (at 3 cover)and Angel Aerial's Superiority affects both teams.
    That is SO weird.  That must be why I've left him built at 5/4/4 forever.  That's more of a downside stapled onto that ability though. 

The sort of thing I was thinking about would be, like, a passive that says nobody can gain green AP.  That sort of thing would be too powerful if it only affected the enemy, but it might be ok if it affected both teams.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ViralCore said:
    y'all need your heads checked if you think Thanos needs rework before characters like Green Goblin, Wasp, Kingpin, Rescue, Black Suit and Peter Parker Spiderman. These characters have never seen the light of day. While Thanos is still useful in PVE.
    The point of this thread was a character that could be easily reworked by just upgrading match damage/health and possibly (hence the poll) minor power adjustments. They could do one of these a month.
    All the characters you mentioned need a major overhaul. That will take quite a while for each character because they have to do a lot of testing and balancing. We will be lucky if we get 2 of those type of reworks in a year.
    KGB
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sersi and domino's powers work for both teams.
    BW's green erases any special tile.
    Characters using fortified tiles(there are many) work with fortified tiles which the enemy creates.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bad said:
    Sersi and domino's powers work for both teams.
    BW's green erases any special tile.
    Characters using fortified tiles(there are many) work with fortified tiles which the enemy creates.
    Web tiles are similar.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Morbius can remove infinity gems from boss Thanos’s board if you match one, but I can’t keep Thanos alive long enough to see if the same thing happens to the Gauntlet countdowns this early in the event.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd start with a boost to health and match damage. He should have around 90,000+ health like Apoc and some others have now and his match damage should be brought to respectable numbers. He has aged well and is still darn good boosted. I think he's one of the 5s that needs the least amount of work probably. I'd personally love to see Banner, OML, or IM be next.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No need for a rework
    domino's powers work for both teams.  @Bad

Doesn't domino's black specifiy tiles that fall during your (players) turn ?
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Domino's passive power is interesting. I think it depends on whether the game saves the state of the aftermath of Domino's passive. If they have a placeholder (for example, an additional 3x8 rows) hidden from players' views, then Domino's power is unintentionally working for both teammate. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll know the answer unless the dev has answered this before.
  • Davidk777
    Davidk777 Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    He definitely needs a increase and match damage to help knock down the weakest person with his black. His purple is ok, I'll just change it to 200 percent match damage. As far as his green goes I would like to see them drop the CD and just make it instant damage. 12 ap plus 3 turns is just too long. CD should only be on passive or cheap powers.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His green could be dropped an AP or two, or have it do AoE plus damage him a little bit to make up for him taking the Match damage.

Infinite Power should be something that cannot go away until the timer runs out.  Think Boss-Apocalypse's "Horsemen" tiles in the corners of the board for his Boss Event...not the playable character Apoc.