Points from defense?

Options
Dninot
Dninot Posts: 214
edited October 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
My opening confession is that I don't have an amazing team. I get by on picking my opponents wisely, taking advantage of AI mistakes, and generally grinding my way through PvP just to lose a bunch of points while I'm sleeping.

But something shocking happened today. Someone attacked me, gave up, and I got points for defense. I wasn't even aware this was something that existed. I like to thank the Gods of Ironman and Hawkeye for it.

The bigger question is, can the method of match making and the defense AI be improved to a point where I can rely on my guys to make a better defensive effort and get me points while I'm sleeping? I know this would mean losing points while attacking, but I don't mind that tradeoff.

Comments

• Dninot wrote:
    The bigger question is, can the method of match making and the defense AI be improved to a point where I can rely on my guys to make a better defensive effort and get me points while I'm sleeping? I know this would mean losing points while attacking, but I don't mind that tradeoff.

You might want to move this to the "Suggestions and Feedback" section so you can make sure IceIX gets to see it. There, understandably, is a lack of moderator activity in General Discussion

I think that making the system AI smarter would be a very sharp double-edged sword... so be careful what you ask for.

If you're making it harder for people to attack you, you will also be making it harder for you to attack them. Not to mention it will make every gameplay level significantly harder. By your own admission, you have a lackluster team... so... do you really want every other aspect of the game harder?

It is just a thought. So be careful what you ask for.
  • Good points Juggerlo.

I find the AI on MPQ to be comparable to harder levels on the original puzzle quests - don't see the need to improve them too much.
  • Dninot
    Options
    Its not exactly a suggestion to gain points on defense, as its already a possibility. And I haven't played any other versions of puzzle quest so unfortunately I can't compare.

However I think with the PvP nature of tournaments, defense should play a bigger part. I'm not someone consistently ranked highly, but I can feel for those who do, because they need to constantly grind to stay on top because attacking gains a disproportionate amount of points. I'm really not thinking of what suits me best here, only what I think might make the game more enjoyable for all. I like a challenge as well, so there's that.
  • Dninot wrote:
    Its not exactly a suggestion to gain points on defense, as its already a possibility.

I meant to suggest that they improve the difficulty of the AI - not that you gain points on defense. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Dninot
    Options
    I've already made a thread about the AI's not always making the best possible move. Otherwise I think the player will always have certain advantages, like choosing whos the tank and whos the target. I'm not saying that should be messed with.

But as it stands, I can gain maybe 10 points from attacking someone, and they could get 2 or 3 points if I give up the attack. Maybe that needs to be evened a bit. Which means I should make a suggestion thread. Damn me.
  • Just out of curiosity but how often are you all giving up games? I've only done it once or twice since, generally, if I don't win the first time (which, I'd guess my ration of attacking w/l is something like 95%/5%) I'll attack them again and take advantage of the damage I did from the first attack to finish them off. You get drastically less points each time you don't win but it's still better than losing points for giving up (for me anyway lol).

And just for clarification, I don't revenge attack everyone that attacks me; I only do that when it makes sense. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dninot
    Options
    hogunner wrote:
    Just out of curiosity but how often are you all giving up games? I've only done it once or twice since, generally, if I don't win the first time (which, I'd guess my ration of attacking w/l is something like 95%/5%) I'll attack them again and take advantage of the damage I did from the first attack to finish them off. You get drastically less points each time you don't win but it's still better than losing points for giving up (for me anyway lol).

And just for clarification, I don't revenge attack everyone that attacks me; I only do that when it makes sense. icon_e_smile.gif

I only give up games in PvE and in the rare case I mistakenly go up against someone and didn't realize they were a few dozen levels higher than I thought at first glance. I think I've only given up 2 PvP games ever.
  • Dninot
    Options
    Someone similar rank as me just gave up an attack and I got +8 points for the defense. I scrambled to attack them back but they aren't listed like a succesful attacker would have been. Ohhhh man that mighta been an easy 20 points.