Constant negativity

2»

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can't blame people for expressing their own opinion although being negative. 
    However a few years ago anything the devs could do was a slap in the face, and any player defending the game  was the "white knight of the devs", and a troll, by the way.
    There was a group practically self proclaimed as the righteous community and any other type were the evil whales.
    Exactly like the fb page.
    I thought that cleaning this site was clearly important for to provide feedback and for helping to improve the game. 
    Players being negative right now are an exception, where there were the rule before. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Does the forum need a dislike button? I feel people sometimes use the Flag feature as a substitute for dis-likings
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    The ignore feature has been a game changer for me. Sometimes a poster just rubs you the wrong way in general, and nobody needs that.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    Srheer0 said:
    Does the forum need a dislike button? I feel people sometimes use the Flag feature as a substitute for dis-likings
    It actually used to have a dislike button, during the bad old times that Bad is talking about. 

Removing it was a good thing, but yes, people then started using the flag feature as a dislike button.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2021
    Srheer0 said:
    It actually used to have a dislike button, during the bad old times that Bad is talking about. 

Removing it was a good thing, but yes, people then started using the flag feature as a dislike button.
    There was also a "LOL" button, which people abused as a dislike button after the dislike button was removed.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I completely support the freedom of speech and everyone should be allowed to express their views and opinions. Criticism should not be censored. But I also think that society should communicate in a civil way, without derogatory name calling and insults. This requires a personal judgment call by the Mod on what is an insult or inappropriate language. Because of that, there will be disagreements on what should and should not be allowed. 

A perfect example of Mods abusing their power is Facebook and Twitter, where they censor anything that goes against their politics. They try to justify their actions by (falsely) labeling a post as misinformation or offensive. They recently admitted that their “Fact Checkers” was just an opinion. I think we all know that is extremely biased, something I hope we never have here. 
    Regarding negativity, I’ve learned that some people always complain and you can’t change them. I believe the best way to handle their unwanted complaints is by ignoring them. They are still free to express themselves (in a civilized way) but they don’t get the attention that they want, which means that they will likely go somewhere else. 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,384 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am a little surprised this topic got so much traction. I did not want to comment or post on it because I thought it was silly.

in an open discussion you will have opposing views you think are “negative”.

if you are weak of will or the position stand on is a bedrock of sand you will falter easily.

An open forum should allow discussion from all parties without complication.

if you do not like what is said then present a better idea.

the mods here do a good job not interfering with the communities discussion.  As it should be.

You will not agree with everyone, but there is no reason to silence people that do not have the same position as you.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    liminal_lad said: The point I should have made in a less passive-aggressive way was: "That wasn't my question and it feels like my actual question was deliberately ignored." 

But is outright hostility better than passive-aggression? I feel like it's probably worse. @fight4thedream is definitely better than some other mods in other places. I'm just wondering why it's tolerated that the overall tone of some folks here is consistently unconstructive, snarky, and toxic. If the answer is "Sorry we don't address that sort of thing. You need to just ignore it, bro." I would have appreciate that being explicitly stated.

The people constantly whining about people not being punished for posting potentially data mined information is tedious. What drives someone to be a Marvel match 3 game Karen? The people who are still really mad about the Shardpocalypse are also fairly exhausting. When was that even? Two or three years ago? 

What I am taking from reading between the lines and the helpful responses of some other commenters is the best thing I can do is keep my ignore list updated. I can work with that. I would delete this post entirely, but it doesn't look like that's possible at this point, which is unfortunate. 
    My apologies. The Mod notice wasn't intended to be a slight to your original question; I was just addressing a specific case of misinformation that I felt needed to be clarified. 

//...//

While I acknowledge there is still room for improvement, I do believe the forum is at a healthier place than it was a few years ago. 
    This is a far better response than I deserved and I completely agree that the forum is a much better place than even a year to two ago. I hope I'm a better poster than I was a year or two ago. 

I took a few days off the forum and this was great to come back to. Thanks again.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that is all sorted out can we please get back to the negativity and complaining!

• Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 498 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    Now that is all sorted out can we please get back to the negativity and complaining!

Mate I'm one of the biggest proponents and practitioners of dry humour, but I just feel this is unnecessary.
    A world in which Monty Python is unnecessary is a world in which Monty Python is necessary.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mmmm....
    Without negativity the White Knights will be bored to death  :p