Constant negativity

Options
liminal_lad
liminal_lad Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
Aside from blocking people and flagging comments, is there a way to report users for constant negativity and abusive passive-aggressive comments? Sometimes I forget to login before reading the forums and I catch someone I've blocked up to the same nonsense. It's exhausting to see the same people on the same soapbox endlessly.

I know this isn't a real problem, but it's been a frustrating day and I feel moved to speak up.

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Options
    If they did that, the forum would just be a blank page!

(Hmm, that might be passive aggressive negativity).

They enforce the rules about insulting or abusing other posters pretty aggressively, and ban for it, [redacted].

**Mod note: removed inaccurate information regarding the forum rules and moderation. - fight4thedream
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This forum isn’t as bad as many I have been on. Maybe I’m the common denominator here. 
  • liminal_lad
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Look at the names and keep on scrolling. That's about it, aside from what you've already listed.
    I know you're right. My favorite forum troll is probably having a good laugh at this right now. 

Sekilicious
    said:
    This forum isn’t as bad as many I have been on. Maybe I’m the common denominator here. 
    It is A LOT BETTER here than other forums.  I think that's why the bad apples here bother me so much. Even without aggressive moderation, folks here are mostly civil and it's so glaring when someone isn't. 
  • liminal_lad
    edited December 2021
    Options

They enforce the rules about insulting or abusing other posters pretty aggressively, [redacted].

**Mod note: removed inaccurate information regarding the forum rules and moderation. - fight4thedream
    Thanks. This is a good reminder that the best way to deal with toxic people on an online forum is to ignore them, starve them of the attention they're not getting elsewhere in their life, and hope they move on to troll somewhere else. :)
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 506 Critical Contributor
    Options

They enforce the rules about insulting or abusing other posters pretty aggressively, and ban for it, but there's no rule about insulting the game or the developers.
    Thanks. This is a good reminder that the best way to deal with toxic people on an online forum is to ignore them, starve them of the attention they're not getting elsewhere in their life, and hope they move on to troll somewhere else. :)
    Hey! We’re people too!!

…I mean, negative people suck.
  • liminal_lad
    Options

They enforce the rules about insulting or abusing other posters pretty aggressively, and ban for it, but there's no rule about insulting the game or the developers.
    Hey! We’re people too!!

…I mean, negative people suck.

As an "internet debater" in recovery, trust me, I get it.
  • iamcevrus2
    iamcevrus2 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I mean aside from general discussion about a subject, that's what most comments are going to be, negative, regardless of the subject matter. And here it's going to be usually about 1 of 2 things:

1) Pull rate: Calling it random and it being random are two very different things. Lottery tickets and a pack of physical cards (sports/ MTG/ etc) are random. Which 4* character you get: random. Chance of getting 10 different 4* in a row but I've yet to see getting 2 different 5* in a row. That's not random. That's how it's coded. It could be changed

2) Character Choice/ Strength/ Feeders. Complaints about a characters strength will always be there. Character choice is is another matter. Big Wheel in no sane world would've been the latest 5*. If his powers were that badly needed he probably should've been a "limited" 4*. Or a 4* April Fools. Or a placeholder (we showed you "character a" when it was really "character b" the shapeshifter). The upcoming 4* looks to be Doc Ock. Even though Rhino/ Hobgoblin are still missing in-game and there's only 1 Green Goblin. Unless it ends up being Superior Spider-Man, who wouldn't be able to team with Doc OR Spidey, and that is inherently messy. Feeder complaints will go down some whenever Havok gets one.

Players want to enjoy the game, and sometimes we have strange views on how this should be accomplished. But when you've got multiple people making the same complaint time and again, might not be the users "negativity" that's the issue.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally I can't remain speechless in front a really mean negative comment.
    But when applying logic comments like those usually prove to be wrong, so it doesn't really bother me.
    It must be because my dark side is that I am kind of bad and agressive too.
    However anyone is susceptible to change hearing other opininions(or act like changed lol).
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bad said:
    It must be because my dark side is that I am kind of bad and agressive too.
    Bad's dark side is kind of bad? Please tell me that pun was intentional.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Akoni said:
    Bad's dark side is kind of bad? Please tell me that pun was intentional.
    That is the best pun I can make to my English extent lol. Sorry
  • liminal_lad
    Options
    **Mod note: While we understand the need to vent sometimes regarding design choices and game changes, it's never ok to insult the dev team, whether it be a specific individual or the team in general. Insults, attacks and abuse against the dev team are treated with the same weight as those against forum members.

Additionally, please keep comments and criticism in regards to the game reasonable and constructive. Toxic remarks that are profane, unreasonable or unwarranted are also grounds for moderation. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding. Thank you.
    So, you'll take action if something egregious happens but being an unpleasant poster who toes the line but doesn't cross it is ok. Group attacks against forum members aren't a problem but individual attacks are. Got it. 

Thank you for the clarification. This is what I was looking for. Appreciated. 
  • liminal_lad
    Options
    **Mod note: While we understand the need to vent sometimes regarding design choices and game changes, it's never ok to insult the dev team, whether it be a specific individual or the team in general. Insults, attacks and abuse against the dev team are treated with the same weight as those against forum members.

Additionally, please keep comments and criticism in regards to the game reasonable and constructive. Toxic remarks that are profane, unreasonable or unwarranted are also grounds for moderation. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding. Thank you.
    So, you'll take action if something egregious happens but being an unpleasant poster who toes the line but doesn't cross it is ok. Group attacks against forum members aren't a problem but individual attacks are. Got it. 

See what you did there!  An example of a passive-aggressive comment with a side of snark!
    I learned something today!  ;)
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    General Discussion is where you come to get the snark, abuse, passive-agressive conversations. It's not for everyone. The Character Discussion can also get heated when a new release is mediocre to bad :D
    On the other hand the other sub Forums, especially Help, Tips/Guides, Bugs, Events, Alliances etc are quite civilized.
    KGB
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    KGB said:
    General Discussion is where you come to get the snark, abuse, passive-agressive conversations. It's not for everyone. The Character Discussion can also get heated when a new release is mediocre to bad :D
    On the other hand the other sub Forums, especially Help, Tips/Guides, Bugs, Events, Alliances etc are quite civilized.
    KGB
    Though, I don't come for the snark, abuse, etc., I must say that I generally agree. I traverse many parts of the forum and only really see those type of conversations in General Discussion and Character Discussion. If ever you're annoyed at the banter, visit other areas of the forum. It's pretty pleasant.
  • liminal_lad
    edited December 2021
    Options

@liminal_lad while I fully agree with the sentiments you mentioned in your OP, this very quote of yours that I quoted is an example of the behaviour you singled out and are trying to eradicate. It really doesn't help your case when you practise the opposite of what you preach. @fight4thedream has been doing a great job here on these forums, and being sarcastic isn't going to help anyone. I recently had a private chat with fight regarding datamined spoiler info, and I appreciate the tough situation fight tends to find himself in with regards to moderating posts, whether to remove or amend them etc.

As for unpleasant posters...well, there will always be such people around, sadly. Best we can do, as others have mentioned, is not give them any control over us. If you really feel like something has to be done, call them out (civilly, of course), and/or report them.
    The point I should have made in a less passive-aggressive way was: "That wasn't my question and it feels like my actual question was deliberately ignored." 

But is outright hostility better than passive-aggression? I feel like it's probably worse. @fight4thedream is definitely better than some other mods in other places. I'm just wondering why it's tolerated that the overall tone of some folks here is consistently unconstructive, snarky, and toxic. If the answer is "Sorry we don't address that sort of thing. You need to just ignore it, bro." I would have appreciate that being explicitly stated.

The people constantly whining about people not being punished for posting potentially data mined information is tedious. What drives someone to be a Marvel match 3 game Karen? The people who are still really mad about the Shardpocalypse are also fairly exhausting. When was that even? Two or three years ago? 

What I am taking from reading between the lines and the helpful responses of some other commenters is the best thing I can do is keep my ignore list updated. I can work with that. I would delete this post entirely, but it doesn't look like that's possible at this point, which is unfortunate.