Upcoming Hawkeye Events (11/23/21)

Options
2»

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rebalances are nice in theory, but unless they mess up and dramatically overbuff a guy, they're totally irrelevant.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think Ghost Rider may have mattered more if it had happened pre-boosted 5*, I don't know. As you say, if they character isn't significantly enhancing a boosted character or is so much better now than they used to be that they can compete against boosted characters when un-boosted, they don't really gain anything.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    It probably would have mattered even *less* if it happened before boosted 5*! 

Before boosted 5* there were 4-5 characters in Tier 1 and everyone else was for essentials or messing around only.  Before boosted 5*, he would have gone from Unusable Tier to Still Unusable Tier.

In boosted 5* world we have Tier 1 -- usable all the time, Tier 2 -- usable when boosted, and Tier 3 -- never usable.  Ghost Rider got better but he went from Tier 2 to Tier 2, which had no actual effect.

The only rebalances that will ever affect anything will be rebalances that cause a character to change tiers.  Just changing numbers around is most likely never going to accomplish that.
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Glockoma said:
    Glockoma said:
    I would love to see another 5* rebalance snuck in here…specifically an all around boost to his numbers would be all he needs.
    That makes me nervous after so many of the past rebalances.  He doesn't need a nerf like Cap and Bishop got, but I can imagine a rebalance that removes the blue/red generation while boosting his other numbers.  He doesn't hit hard, but I like his niche Blue/Red generation
    I understand concerns of rebalancing, but I was being specific in terms of rebalancing his health/damage/match damage. That’s all this guy needs.
    Does he need that?  Would it actually change anything? 

Ghost Rider just got a match damage/health/power damage buff and I've seen him exactly zero times since then.
    My opinion of course, but I believe there are many of the oldest 5*’s that in theory would need to have a number buff to at least stay alive after the first 5-10 matches out front. Strictly based on numbers, no doubt about it.

In regards to utility, I believe you framed it pretty well in that he has a “totally busted” passive that is under utilized. So it’s really dealers choice. 

I’m old enough to remember back in about 2015 (was that the year?), the devs did a blanket numbers boost to most characters across all levels. To some of the well designed characters, I think a revisit to that solution would definitely not be condemned by the community.

As far as the Ghost Rider example, I was a mere ant back when the first 5*’s came into play. My first 5* was Phoenix and I struggled immensely during the era of god-king Gambit. I only burst my first hoard for Okoye/ Jessica Jones/ and ???? (I can’t even remember). I still only have GRRR at 3/2/3. I imagine there are many factors that play into the meta and seeing old rebalanced characters peak out; but one to consider is the likelihood of newer players making the bulk of total individuals playing while many vets (that were around when he was in latest) have petered out over the years. 
    To that end, GRRR has moved up my list of 5*’s to champ since I personally like his kit now. He packs a fair punch. YMMV of course, but I love options with these characters and love playing them all to reduced the fatigue of the grind. Hope they all get a little treatment over time.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But each player roster is different to another and each week boosting 5*s  is unpredictable. 
    A lot of players now that he is boosted can have a great option on playing  him and it could be on their roster GR is more effective than a new character. 
    At least on his last pvp I had a feeling that he is more dangerous now.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I have firsthand experience of this! 

My Ghost Rider is lvl500, and after his buff, when boosted +100 levels, he's still worse than unboosted meta characters. Without the boost he's not usable at all, in any situation.  He moved from lower in Tier 2 to higher in Tier 2, which is fine but functionally irrelevant.

Again, I have no issues whatsoever with numbers boost-type buffs, but they're really not going to change anything as far as who's used/good/etc. 

If we want all characters at the same tier (and we should!), a number boost is the start, not the end.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Of course!  But I think numbers-type buffs are popular in certain circles precisely because they don't threaten the dominance of certain characters or players.

A rebalance that turned Hawkeye or Banner into the best character in the game would be extraordinarily unpopular, and probably inspire a boycott and/or review bomb.  A numbers buff wouldn't impact the metagame at all.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yuck the hunt again with the single handed worst level in the history of MPQ. Florida I am not looking forward to that.
    All these years playing this game and I still have no idea in what order Florida's nodes are meant to be played.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As a native Floridian, I can assure you that map is real life accurate.
    Best comment this year...
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yuck the hunt again with the single handed worst level in the history of MPQ. Florida I am not looking forward to that.
    All these years playing this game and I still have no idea in what order Florida's nodes are meant to be played.
    The battles are easy I will admit . There isn’t a 5* in the entire PvE especially CN.  Dark Avengers are easy targets even when 650.  The only thing that bothers me is that Doc Ock is my only 1 cover 5* until day 3.