Newbie in need of help with refining roster

Options
I've been playing MPQ for I dunno, maybe a month or two now? My sense of time is kind of really skewed. But anyway, I only discovered the "Events" tab fairly recently (not sure how I could have missed it), and then heard of the the forum today. I only started becoming a more serious/competitive player after catching the last day or two of the Hulk event, when I realized I could WIN PRIZES OMG.

So anyway, I did fairly well in the last Simulator round and won a bunch of ISO. Now that I'm reading up on stuff that other players have been saying about characters, there are some things I wish I had done differently. Like not use HP to buy covers, invest in a particular combo and save up my tokens icon_rolleyes.gif But now that I have about 5k ISO, I want to start optimizing. Except I don't know who to power up, who to let go of, who to recruit.

Current Roster:
IM35 - Lv31 - 5/3/5
M. BW - Lv28 - 5/5
M. Storm - Lv24 - 5/4/1 (my plan for her has always been 5/5/3, but my luck with her covers is horrendous)
C. Hawkeye - Lv21 - 5/1 (I keep him around because of his crit tile ability)
MN. Thor - 2/0/2
Hulk - Lv16 - 1/0/0 (won him in the event, I only ever use him as a tank for prologue missions and I won't hold out the hope for lucking out on 3* covers)
Moonstone - Lv14 - 2/0/2 (I've been toying with the idea of letting her go, since I haven't used her much since getting Storm leveled)
MN. Magneto - Lv13 - 0/2/0 (new addition, added to the roster only because I got lucky with a token)
C. Storm - Lv13 - 0/2/0 (I really like her, but I'm waiting on more covers)
AXM. Wolverine - Lv8 - 0/1/1 (torn between letting him go and waiting for more covers, right now using him as a tank for the simulation event)
Ares - Lv6 - 0/0/1 (I love this dude!! I just don't know how I'm going to get him up to usable in regular non-powered battle)
M. Hawkeye - Lv6 - 0/1/0 (I love the idea Blast Arrow, but it just takes too damn long to activate)
Juggernaut - Lv3 - 2/3

Waiting to be claimed:
Red Psylocke
Red Ragnarok
Purple Bullseye

I also have one empty spot on my roster. I sell any Yelena or Venom that I get. Their abilities just didn't seem that worth it when I had them.

Who should I pump up? Who can/should I sell? Who do I add to my team?

P.S. Do alliances only pick up players with high leveled characters? I took a look at the Alliance section, since I'd been considering joining one. Then I promptly showed myself out. Because noob say whut. Haha.

Comments

• Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    At first glance, I'd say definitely use any future HP on roster slots. Maybe even buy some HP in the current sale if that's a possibility for you (even $5 spent will help - that's how I started out).

Like you said, Moonstone is probably the easiest sell for you if you need to make room. You should probs sell that Bullseye too.

Leveling up your M.Storm is good. You only need 3 more covers for her, they come pretty easily, and she'll last you a long time. IM35/Jugs also aren't bad until you get some more 2* covers.
    C.Hawkeye is probably decent for you currently, but he'll be the next to go once you get others going.

It sucks having those single cover 2*s & 3*s sitting around for now, but in another month you'll be glad you kept them! For me, Ares covers have dropped like rain, even from Standard tokens. Him/Thor/Wolvie should be your next plan for a heavy hitter, depending on who you get covers for.

Also, try for OBWs. The current Simulator event has them as lower-lvl rewards.
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree with what Talahamut says for the most part. Especially on spending HP on only roster spots. I spent more hp than I'd like to admit on tokens early on.

This game isn't built for speed unless your willing to spend some real cash. Keep working on leveling upIM35,MBW and MStorm. They're a good team early on, and MStorm is still useful even when you reach higher levels.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    ^ You don't want to level mBW too much though because otherwise IM 35 can't tank blue for mBW. mBW doesn't need leveling much anyway, since her abilities do not scale. Also please consider respeccing IM 35 to 5/5/3, his yellow is where the money's at (it's the only active yellow among 1*s).

Refer to this guide to have a better idea of who to get rid of without much pain: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939
  • M.Storm is amazing in the Simulator if you have the super-boosted character to tank for her colours.

I agree with what previous persons have said.

Until you can level a 2* or 3* past what your 1* are, in terms of having enough cover, it's best to just focus on Storm IM35 and Black widow.
  • locked wrote:
    Also please consider respeccing IM 35 to 5/5/3, his yellow is where the money's at (it's the only active yellow among 1*s).

Yeah, I know. The funny/dumb thing is, I was already at 5/4/4 then I got a blue cover and changed it just earlier today. THEN I found out out via the forum that it probably wasn't such a good idea XD
  • What the others said. I also bought the $5-600HP offer when I started which bought me 3 roster slots and it allowed me to keep some 3* I got early from tokens. I suggest you do that, but if you want to delete a character you own, I would delete them in the following order: M.Hawkeye / Moonstone.
    Hawkeye is not bad and he was the first character I had with max covers so he is has a sentimental value for me. This is the only reason I don't throw him away even though I have never used him. Moonstone may be needed for a Dark Avengers or Ladies tournament, but it's safe to say that you will level up other characters first since she is situational at best. All the others will be needed at some point. If you had any other covers of MN Magneto I would add him as too here, but purple is his most useful ability so keep him around.

Start building your 2* first and try to avoid for now 3* rewards because you don't have enough slots and getting multiple covers of them is almost impossible for you. Definitely go for OBW / Ares / Thor covers when you can. These 3 with A.Wolverine and C.Storm are the best 2*s. Once you have a leveled 2* team you will do better in events and you will gain access to Heroic tokens which are more likely to drop 3* covers (~14%).

Right now your main source of covers will be the standard tokens. Always enter in Lightning rounds (LR). Don't be intimidated by the high levels of the enemies. LR last only 90 minutes and you have to make sure you enter in the first 5-10 minutes and beat the seed teams which are low level teams. Win as many matches as you can since they are very good source of ISO and go for the early reward which is a token I think you can get it with 2 wins (50 points).
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Also load up on the Standard token rewards from as many Prologue missions as you can currently beat. They'll fill out your 1*s and possibly some 2*s as well.
    Before I really knew what I was doing in this game, I had a ton of them stored up just from those.

And non-LR PvPs also give Standards at your first win (25pts). So even if you think you can't place decently, make sure you pick those up each time too. And depending on the level of opponents you draw, you can always try for the 300-pt Heroic reward each time by playing during the middle of the tournament when the heavy hitters aren't pounding.