distribution in 10x packs?

Options
hi everyone. i've been a lurker for a while but finally created an account to ask this question:

what distribution is "normal" for featured 10x packs?

the reason i ask: i just spent $20 on hero points to purchase the guaranteed modern thor 10x pack and received FIVE blue 2* hawkeyes (as well as the requisite modern thor, a blue daredevil, a purple 2* hawkeye, and a couple other 2* covers i didn't need / couldn't use). i understand that it's all random aside from the guaranteed cover, but FIVE of the exact same cover is pretty rotten distribution when there are a dozen 2* characters, each with at least two skill colors. and not that the game logic would check for this, but i already had 3 blue covers for mr hawkeye, so this purchase feels like a colossal waste of money. normally i don't complain about such things, but this has me feeling pretty sour, particularly since this is the second time i've spent money on the game. (which i really do enjoy, i should note.)

has anyone else had this kind of experience? is this normal, or just horrible luck?

cheers,
osirisdean2

(and again, i really do enjoy MPQ. my hat is off to the devs for crafting such a well-polished game. it's even more addictive than the original puzzle quest!)

Comments

• KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The chance for a 3* from a 10 pack is 15% per pull I believe. It's not uncommon at all to get no more than the 1 guaranteed 3*. They are horrible value for money for sure.
  • You were just a victim of rng, last pack showed about 15% for thor but out of 10 packs i've personally bought, it tends to be 2-4 3 stars out of 10, which is great value if you can do with any color as 4 covers usually cost 5000 hp instead of the 3800 you paid or breaks even at 3.
    However if you have alot of covers already, more worth it to buy it outright then chance the 5% you get the color of the featured hero you need.
    Altho better options for hp use is shielding, roster slots and alliance slots in order of value.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've yet to pull less than 2 3* from a 10 pack and have gotten 4 or more (including the guaranteed) at least twice. I got 4x Black Panther in the BP pack.
  • i'm ok with only getting two 3* covers, i just thought it was incredibly unlucky to get five of the exact same 2* cover, particularly since i couldn't use more than two of it. i was hoping for a little more variety, i suppose.

a follow-up question: do most folks pay actual money to buy the packs, or do they earn the hero points in-game? i have only recently been able to steadily accrue gold in-game, but it is very slow going at 50 to 150 per event. i think at my rate, 3800 would take me months to collect without spending some cash (which i was happy to do this time).
  • Most people, who know what they are doing, don't bother with packs. You paid 3800 for a pack and got one useful Thor cover. Yet you could have spent 2500 (1250 x 2) and got two Thor covers of your own choosing on the train powers screen. Of course you do need up to have one cover in the colour you need to be able to do this, which is why it's important to compete in the PVE events. I've never bought a pack as they are too expensive for 9 useless covers.
  • Badlands wrote:
    Most people, who know what they are doing, don't bother with packs. You paid 3800 for a pack and got one useful Thor cover. Yet you could have spent 2500 (1250 x 2) and got two Thor covers of your own choosing on the train powers screen. Of course you do need up to have one cover in the colour you need to be able to do this, which is why it's important to compete in the PVE events. I've never bought a pack as they are too expensive for 9 useless covers.

in general, i absolutely agree. the problem i faced today was that, despite competing (and doing fairly well) in all the recent events, i had yet to pull any modern thor covers. :/ i think i was close in one event, but my bracket was particularly competitive i think, and since i only have maxed 2* characters and only a few under-leveled 3*s, i was fighting an uphill battle. (i am in the 2* to 3* transition limbo hehe.)
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I bought one for the first time this sale, and got 2 3* Thors and a Hulk I needed (then a bunch of junk). Not sure if that's a good pull or not...
  • The unstoppable pack shows there's a 14% chance of getting 3* so I assume all the other tokens are the same (but with different hero distribution). I remember calculating the chance of pulling 4 3*s is less than 1%, which is what you need to beat the odds (3800 > 3 * 1250 HP), so unless you lack a certain cover it's rarely a good deal. Remember, if you already have the covers even pulling 3 3*s is a losing deal because you could've upgraded any 3 3* covers for 3750 HP.