MPQ Pride Month Events (6/1-7/1)

2»

Comments

• Scammy
    Scammy Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Wasn't Azazel Nightcrawler's dad?
    Under current canon, yes. But that's my point. 

Originally
    it was Mystique who was intended to have fathered Nightcrawler. That never made it into the published comics, but it's a good indicator that at the beginning Mystique was both bisexual and gender fluid. So could it actually be considered a retcon when these aspects of her character first appeared in the comics many years later? And if none of her behavior prior to that contradicted her LGBT identity, can it even be considered a change to her character, or was she simply always these things?

Bringing that back to Black Cat, if none of her earlier behavior contradicted her later-revealed bisexuality, then how could anyone say she had been closeted or was retconned? Best you could say was that it may not have been an aspect of her character that her creator had in mind, but then we'd be going into a whole "death of the author" philosophical discussion that I'd rather not get into.
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2021
    Scammy said:
    Wasn't Azazel Nightcrawler's dad?
    Under current canon, yes. But that's my point. 

Originally
    it was Mystique who was intended to have fathered Nightcrawler. That never made it into the published comics, but it's a good indicator that at the beginning Mystique was both bisexual and gender fluid. So could it actually be considered a retcon when these aspects of her character first appeared in the comics many years later? And if none of her behavior prior to that contradicted her LGBT identity, can it even be considered a change to her character, or was she simply always these things?

Bringing that back to Black Cat, if none of her earlier behavior contradicted her later-revealed bisexuality, then how could anyone say she had been closeted or was retconned? Best you could say was that it may not have been an aspect of her character that her creator had in mind, but then we'd be going into a whole "death of the author" philosophical discussion that I'd rather not get into.
    I see why it's hard to say. In the end, even though the character in question has only one, or maybe two co-creators at most, in the end the traits of the character were decided by a bunch of people. But my question stands, was this character originally conceived as being LGBT by its original author? Black Cat behaved like a straight, heterosexual girl at first, then became bisexual so now she comes off as "closeted". But what was her author's original intent?

I'm also aware that a good portion of the LGBT were not always "closeted", they just were 100% straight until the day they decided they would be gays, lesbians, bisexuals or something else. Yeah, I know of at least one case of that (irl I mean). But I'm not too sure if writers can do this with a fictional character, or how would they devise such a way for the character to have a changing sexuality like that. So, sometimes art imitates life, but not deliberately.