Request - Increase 4* weekly boost

Options
2»

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No, I was answering someone else I think.  I used to do the same thing all the time, and it's definitely fun.  I don't know if they need to increase the boost though, a lot of the 4* are already pretty crazy at 479.
    Oh, sorries. For sure their powers hit hard enough at 479. Guess I'd like them to get more health so they have a better shot against hulkoye. And for them to play more like those challenge nodes in cl10 😄.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,933 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    They're all pretty good when they're boosted and you have them at a very high level, but no one knows that, because no one has them at a very high level, because they're all trying to skip 4*.  I think.
    The reason newer players don't have them at 370 is because of dilution math.
    You need 113 covers to max champ. You can reliably get 20 covers when a 4* is in latest (enough to reach say 277-280 range). That leaves you 90 covers short.
    At ~100 4* characters it means 100x90 = 9000 4* covers to get there. At .85 4* per LT that means ~10500 LT draws required. If you can average 5 LT's a day (an ambitious rate) that means 2100 days of playing or 5.75 years!!!
    Now, each 4* is featured 1 time a year in PvE/PvP (based on 3.5 days events so 100 events a year) so you can shave off 10 covers over 5 years so maybe only 9000 LT's needed or 4.75 years.
    Obviously you can shard 1 or 2 to 370 so a Polaris or Grocket can get there much faster but you can't shard more than 1 or 2 because again 26 draws per cover * 90 needed is ~2400 LTs per 370 so again 5000 LTs to get 2 characters to 370.
    To give you an idea of how many draws 9000-10000 really is, in that same time frame you'd have 1500 5* covers or 30 covers for every 5* buried in classics. So you could get every 5* to L467! Or it takes ~2300 draws (345 5*) to get max champed 5* from latest so in 9000 draws you'd have ~12 max champed 5* at 550!!!
    KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When you say "when a 4* is in Latest," is that holdout from the 12 Latest increased odds days? because there is no odds distinction on 4*s between Latest and Classic. Unless you mean how often a 4* is getting featured in the event reward rotation.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,933 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When I say latest, I mean that a 4* gets featured. They too roughly rotate out of 'featured' at the same pace that 5* rotate out. During their time as featured, we get them as rewards in PvE/PvP a lot more often. I always get every new 4* to ~285ish before they rotate out of being featured.
    KGB
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,898 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    They're all pretty good when they're boosted and you have them at a very high level, but no one knows that, because no one has them at a very high level, because they're all trying to skip 4*.  I think.
    The reason newer players don't have them at 370 is because of dilution math.
    You need 113 covers to max champ. You can reliably get 20 covers when a 4* is in latest (enough to reach say 277-280 range). That leaves you 90 covers short.
    At ~100 4* characters it means 100x90 = 9000 4* covers to get there. At .85 4* per LT that means ~10500 LT draws required. If you can average 5 LT's a day (an ambitious rate) that means 2100 days of playing or 5.75 years!!!
    Now, each 4* is featured 1 time a year in PvE/PvP (based on 3.5 days events so 100 events a year) so you can shave off 10 covers over 5 years so maybe only 9000 LT's needed or 4.75 years.
    Obviously you can shard 1 or 2 to 370 so a Polaris or Grocket can get there much faster but you can't shard more than 1 or 2 because again 26 draws per cover * 90 needed is ~2400 LTs per 370 so again 5000 LTs to get 2 characters to 370.
    To give you an idea of how many draws 9000-10000 really is, in that same time frame you'd have 1500 5* covers or 30 covers for every 5* buried in classics. So you could get every 5* to L467! Or it takes ~2300 draws (345 5*) to get max champed 5* from latest so in 9000 draws you'd have ~12 max champed 5* at 550!!!
    KGB
    That's a lot of math.  You left out that 4* are in mighty and heroic tokens, and vaults (including DDQ), and covers are also directly available for purchase (the $20 weekend deal plus various others).

But anyway, are you saying that newer players aren't trying for 370s because it would take too long?  Or that they are trying, it just takes a very long time to get there?  What does "trying" or "not trying" look like?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I'm on day 1917 and I have exactly 1 370 4*, America Chavez, who I spent a year bonus-heroing (pre-shard) to 360 chasing Jessica Jones. My highest batch of organically grown (never bonused) 4*s are in the low-mid 330s.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I'm on day 1917 and I have exactly 1 370 4*, America Chavez, who I spent a year bonus-heroing (pre-shard) to 360 chasing Jessica Jones. My highest batch of organically grown (never bonused) 4*s are in the low-mid 330s.
    Debating whether or not to do this...why not.

I'm on day 2570 and have 107 lvl370 4*, including a bunch of duplicates for non-feeders.
    I bonus all of the 5* feeders, and only the 5* feeders. I only open classic tokens with CP, and I don't hoard anything and never have.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,278 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options

Would a bigger 4* boost encourage people to actually acquire 4*s at a high level?
    Maybe.  As a 5* player, there are two 4* players that matter.  Polaris and Grocket.  That's it.  Everyone else is ok and some are better than others but even Medusa/DarkBeast/Morbius don't matter at all.  Polaris and Grocket are the only two that mean anything (at least to me).
    As a 5* player, there are actually lots of 4*s that synergize really well with 5s and make great PVE teams. This sounds like somebody who just champed kitty and runs her with Polaris and Rocket for everything. 
    Ummmmm.  No.  This is somebody who has been playing for seven years and have over 30 champed 5*s,.  Please tell me the other great 4*s that I should be using with my champed 5*s.  Outside of Polaris and Grocket, I don't have one I would ever use.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I have around 50 of my 4*s maxed and used to enjoy using them boosted in PvP.  The problem is that with a couple of exceptions, they fair very badly against meta teams like Hulkoye, Britty and Apocalyse. 

Perhaps if new 5*s like Wanda and Knull enter the meta there will be boosted 4*s that match up better with them (and help to counter Knull’s oppressive health pool).

With regards to the OP, I think any extra boost would need to be fairly sizeable to make a difference and probably still wouldn’t get used by the vast majority of the player pool (for the reasons EB laid out).  I would however like to see the boost list each week expanded as with 100+ 4*s, boost weeks only come around a couple of times a year.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    It may deserve it's own thread, but now that we are on our second PVP in a row with multiple 5*s on the boost list, I'm curious what people are feeling about that as a concept rolling out each week?
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Unfortunately the 5* boost in pvp is so small it's basically worthless.  They desperately need to give them the +100 or whatever levels that we already get in pve, and boost a few of them every week.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Would a bigger 4* boost encourage people to actually acquire 4*s at a high level?
    Maybe.  As a 5* player, there are two 4* players that matter.  Polaris and Grocket.  That's it.  Everyone else is ok and some are better than others but even Medusa/DarkBeast/Morbius don't matter at all.  Polaris and Grocket are the only two that mean anything (at least to me).
    As a 5* player, there are actually lots of 4*s that synergize really well with 5s and make great PVE teams. This sounds like somebody who just champed kitty and runs her with Polaris and Rocket for everything. 
    Ummmmm.  No.  This is somebody who has been playing for seven years and have over 30 champed 5*s,.  Please tell me the other great 4*s that I should be using with my champed 5*s.  Outside of Polaris and Grocket, I don't have one I would ever use.
    Thanos for winfinite challenge nodes and uhh… that’s it for me (everyone except the lastest 4s/5s champed). 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

No.  there are a ton of phenomenal 4* at 370.  Medusa, 4* marvel, spicy 2099, Chavez, vulture are all top tier chars when you match them in with the right dual 5*.

Specifically any 4* with a good passive can be a rock star char with the right double 5*.

I personally don’t think a bigger boost will change behavior BBBUUUTTTTT
    you can easily say things like these 5 passive power chars are always boosted and change behavior immediately.

So yes I do think you can make a longer season long boost list tied to passive power chars and people would be thrilled to play new matchups based on season long conditions
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I have 32 5*s champed. Occasionally Vulture still gets some play on my roster, sometimes Valkyrie. But they exist for battery purposes. I have a Shuri/Heimdall/Magik team I like to run for funsies, and I’ll run Coulson with Hawkeye. XFDP still has value to me, and I’ll use 4* teams against Kaecilius (kraven/prowler/sabretooth/elektr4). 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I still like using 4* with 5*. I see them as support to 5* characters. There are still a lot of great 4*. Here are some which I think are still useful:

C4rol, Rogue, Domino, Valkyrie, Karnak, America Chavez, Medusa, Nightcrawler, Magik, Shuri, Wasp, Vulture.

However, the usefulness of the characters depends on your playing styles. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I still like using 4* with 5*. I see them as support to 5* characters. There are still a lot of great 4*. Here are some which I think are still useful:

C4rol, Rogue, Domino, Valkyrie, Karnak, America Chavez, Medusa, Nightcrawler, Magik, Shuri, Wasp, Vulture.

However, the usefulness of the characters depends on your playing styles. 
    This. If you play competitively (which I do in PVE but not PVP), then you likely have your teams down to a handful of characters (both 4*s and 5*s). And my 4* PVE list is essentially just Grocket, Polaris, Juggs, Thanos, and maybe a couple others when K-Sauce shows up.  Morbius might get some future play in Carnage challenge nodes as well. 

If you play for fun and speed isn’t as much of a factor, then options open up. 
  • Kingart813
    Kingart813 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I wish D3 would increase the amount of 4* characters boosted, it's not Even 10% of the 4 star roster!!  Come on d3!
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wish D3 would increase the amount of 4* characters boosted, it's not Even 10% of the 4 star roster!!  Come on d3!
    I personally would like a bigger buff grouping,  but also have the list go for the whole season.

my personal frustration is that relearning and understanding each weeks list takes too much trial and error for a list that is only good for 2 events.  A season long list would encourage players to experiment deeper to find fun combos for them.