Request - Increase 4* weekly boost

Options
acescracked
acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2021 in MPQ General Discussion
To the keepers of all that is MPQ,

I'm requesting that 4* weekly/special PvP events boost be increased by at least 50 levels (75?).

I've got a bunch of 4*s at 370 and like to use the boosted 4*s early in PvP events, especially during these off season events. These boosted 4*s aren't going to threaten the 5* meta but maybe a bunch more levels can make em more playable.

Looking forward to this change!

Thanks.

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    That kind of change might make more 4* usable in 5* PvP but it would be overwhelming in 3* and 4* PvP to have a base 270 go to 420 (+150 instead of +100).
    KGB
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
     These boosted 4*s aren't going to threaten the 5* meta but maybe a bunch more levels can make em more playable.

They aren't' supposed to.  From the very beginning devs told us that 5 stars are supposed to be monsters compared to 4 stars.  They didn't just tell us, they demonstrated it.  When surfer was first released there was a replayable node in pvp where you could play a champed surfer against a team of the 3 strongest 4 stars at the time (capt marvel, carnage, hulk buster I think) and people made it a challenge to try and lose while playing surfer and it was difficult to do since he was just so much more powerful.

4 stars like polaris that can fit into 5 star teams and fight against 5 stars are an exception against the rule.  Bishop was nerfed because he was too good at hitting above his weight class.
  • KGB
    Options

monsters compared to 4 stars.  They didn't just tell us, they demonstrated it.  When surfer was first released there was a replayable node in pvp where you could play a champed surfer against a team of the 3 strongest 4 stars at the time (capt marvel, carnage, hulk buster I think) and people made it a challenge to try and lose while playing surfer and it was difficult to do since he was just so much more powerful.

That was then, this is now.
    As in the 4* in Surfers day were mostly trash tier by today's 4* standard. Polaris/Grocket/Juggs would wipe a 550 Surfer off the map, never mind a 450 one. Plenty of other meta 4* teams would also wreck Surfer
    Pretty much any single 5* would be wrecked now by meta 4* teams especially since Stun is so easy to come by and only Surfer was immune.
    KGB
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:

monsters compared to 4 stars.  They didn't just tell us, they demonstrated it.  When surfer was first released there was a replayable node in pvp where you could play a champed surfer against a team of the 3 strongest 4 stars at the time (capt marvel, carnage, hulk buster I think) and people made it a challenge to try and lose while playing surfer and it was difficult to do since he was just so much more powerful.

That was then, this is now.
    As in the 4* in Surfers day were mostly trash tier by today's 4* standard. Polaris/Grocket/Juggs would wipe a 550 Surfer off the map, never mind a 450 one. Plenty of other meta 4* teams would also wreck Surfer
    Pretty much any single 5* would be wrecked now by meta 4* teams especially since Stun is so easy to come by and only Surfer was immune.
    KGB
    That still doesn't change what the devs stated their goal for the 5 star tier is.  Yeah new 4's would stand up against old 5's but new 4's don't stand up against new 5's.  Both have progressed at a pace where 5 still overpower 4's.  

The dev's haven't made any indication that they have changed on their stance and the facts that bishop and cap were nerfed for standing up too well to 5"s would indicate that they still feel the same way.
  • KGB
    Options
    @BriMan2222 - Not true about new 5* standing up to new 4*. A semi-meta team of 3 270 4* will handily defeat the best 450 5* because it's 3v1. 4* have tons of passives/stuns and other things that didn't exist when the original Surfer battle was done.
    KGB
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "No plan survives contact with the enemy."

And the enemy here is Change (in cirumstances). Back then, the dev said 5* are supposed to be much more powerful than 4*. But, changes happen constantly. So, what was said in the past, is only fitted for that particular context. When the context changes, one have to adapt. That's why the earlier batch of 5* aren't as good as they were in 2015 or 2016.

6 years have passed since they made that statement. And this game is like a whole different game for those who came back again.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Or they could increase the 4star cover acquisition rates for developing rosters in order to get them through the 4star tier faster.

Some 4stars get a lot of health when boosted. Almost puts their health on par with 5s of that level.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They have already increased the 4* acquisition rate. I'm sure a lot of players can attest to that. Players can already champ latest 4* after playing their release events like pvps and pves. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Most 370 boosted 4* will murder the common 450ish 5* all day long.  I'm going to generalize very broadly here, but a 370 4* when boosted has 60-80k health, and for powers that do damage, the decent ones are in the 40-50k range.  (I think Kate Bishop blue hits for 60k or something utterly stupid, as an example).

There are two problems with using boosted 4* instead of 5*, if you're a 5* player:

#1 you will get hit a lot more, because more people can see you (the game hides full 5* teams from non-5* players, sort of), and also because 4* don't inspire any sort of avoidance.  You will win some of these matches because people don't expect to take a 50,0000-damage power to the face from a 4*.

#2 it's generally going to be a lot slower, because generally 4* need to match tiles and spend AP to do damage, vs the good 5* who just passively butcher whatever you put in front of them while you watch tv.

That's a lot of generalizations because there's like 500 4* characters and they very rather wildly in quality, so please don't reply with "but x guy only does 20,000 damage and has 10,000 health," I already know that.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Some specifics, with the current boosted 4*s (all at 370 pre boost):

Amadeus Cho has 87,869 health and his green does 42,118 damage (plus an extra 30,922 damage if you have 12 blue AP).

Kate Bishop has 66,390 health, and does quite a lot of damage:

Blue 47,397
    Black 35,664
    Purple 36,526 (and adds 5 strength 861 strike tiles)

Spider Gwen has 66,390 health and does 44,832 damage on red.

Domino doesn't really do damage so she's not too exciting.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Domino does big damage on Red, I’ve never understood why people didn’t see it lol
  • acescracked
    Options
     These boosted 4*s aren't going to threaten the 5* meta but maybe a bunch more levels can make em more playable.

They aren't' supposed to.  From the very beginning devs told us that 5 stars are supposed to be monsters compared to 4 stars.  They didn't just tell us, they demonstrated it.  When surfer was first released there was a replayable node in pvp where you could play a champed surfer against a team of the 3 strongest 4 stars at the time (capt marvel, carnage, hulk buster I think) and people made it a challenge to try and lose while playing surfer and it was difficult to do since he was just so much more powerful.

4 stars like polaris that can fit into 5 star teams and fight against 5 stars are an exception against the rule.  Bishop was nerfed because he was too good at hitting above his weight class.
    That was reversed when the level boosts were added to 4*s. The level boosts added to 4*s were specifically so they could compete against 5*s.in PvP.

• entrailbucket
    Options
    Domino does big damage on Red, I’ve never understood why people didn’t see it lol
    I forgot that power even existed!

At 370, Domino has 57,928 health and her red does 7,034 damage per black tile destroyed.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That would be a good change in PVE only, playing CL10 even with boosted 4*'s hitting 370 still doesnt match up to the scaling.

PVP wise, not too sure, as stated in this thread, some 4*'s at 370 start to hit harder than 5*'s.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I'm not sure increasing the boost would be that big a deal for 5* players with 370s, because 370s can pretty much already beat 5*...the problem is they make you more vulnerable to hits and they're slower because they have to match tiles and cast stuff.  Raising the boost another 100 or so levels wouldn't really change that.

I wonder if it'd impact lower tier players more?  I know that right now everyone wants to skip 4* altogether, which makes me sad.  The only 370s I see are people who maxed out Bishop (LOL) and people who maxed out Polaris (LOL, in a few months). 

Would a bigger 4* boost encourage people to actually acquire 4*s at a high level?
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,286 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Would a bigger 4* boost encourage people to actually acquire 4*s at a high level?
    Maybe.  As a 5* player, there are two 4* players that matter.  Polaris and Grocket.  That's it.  Everyone else is ok and some are better than others but even Medusa/DarkBeast/Morbius don't matter at all.  Polaris and Grocket are the only two that mean anything (at least to me).
  • Beefhammer69
    Beefhammer69 Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options

Maybe.  As a 5* player, there are two 4* players that matter.  Polaris and Grocket.  That's it.  Everyone else is ok and some are better than others but even Medusa/DarkBeast/Morbius don't matter at all.  Polaris and Grocket are the only two that mean anything (at least to me).
    As a 5* player, there are actually lots of 4*s that synergize really well with 5s and make great PVE teams. This sounds like somebody who just champed kitty and runs her with Polaris and Rocket for everything. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    They're all pretty good when they're boosted and you have them at a very high level, but no one knows that, because no one has them at a very high level, because they're all trying to skip 4*.  I think.
  • acescracked
    Options
    Entrail & lava missing my specific reason for the request.

Got 44 champed 5*s, highest being 511.

Only play the boosted 4s at the beginning of events for fun. Do my final climb with my 5s. The meta potential of the 4s don't matter and how many hits they invite don't matter. Actually the hits are welcomed because they are from lower level rosters that I retal later with hulkoye. If the boosted are decent I'll get a bunch of blues which is fun.

During fantastic 4 PvP for a time, played with only Mr fantastic/thing/invisible woman and beat everything with obvious troubles against higher hulkoye teams and some brb/kitty.

Danger room set the filter to 4s and try some combos. The request for additional levels is try and handle hulkoye teams and give hitters a tougher time. Sort of like cl10 challenge node.

Give it a try during danger room. In character select goto the 4* filter and give it a try for fun.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    No, I was answering someone else I think.  I used to do the same thing all the time, and it's definitely fun.  I don't know if they need to increase the boost though, a lot of the 4* are already pretty crazy at 479.