Options
2»

Comments

• Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Theghouse said:
    Theghouse said:
    I thought everyone purposely avoided pulling for classic 5* because they're all bad and thus worthless.  Why would anyone want Banner shards when nobody pulls tokens for him?
    You avoid pulling classic tokens for 5* because the odds are absolute garbage.  How can all classic 5* be worthless when the entire meta lives in classic tokens....

I wouldn't chase Banner and I didn't miss his shards but all it takes is a quick look around the forum to see the number of players with a champ em all mindset.

Event rewards for lower tier characters are the easiest way to collect them without sacrificing targeting more competitive characters with your pulls and shards.

Onslaught is not even a bad character, he's solid.  I wouldn't pull tokens just for him but I'd be happy to see him in a store with one of my higher priority characters.  My 9 cover Onslaught missed these shards.
    I don't think it's actually possible to champion them all without pulling classics.  I say this as someone who has them all championed (minus Cyclops and Colossus) who *only* pulls classics.

The odds are the same as latest, aren't they?  You do get more pulls if you pull classics, so you get more 4*, which feeds your 4* dupe farm into even more cp and tokens!

While the odds of getting a 5* cover is the same, the odds are not the same on a per character basis.

In latest and Specials, a 15% chance divided by 3 characters is 5% per character or 1 in 20.  With the dilution of classics that 15% chance spread across 52 characters is 0.29% per character or 1 in 347.

SCL 10 PVE and PVP progression alone can get you at least 8000 CP a year, not counting placement, node rewards, champ rewards, alliance buys, or any other sources. 

Spent in either Latest or a special store, you get 320 pulls and the expected amount of 5* covers is 48 covers which depending on distribution could be all 3 champs or at least 2 champs with the 3rd pretty close.

Spent in classics, you get 400 pulls and the expected amount of 5* is 60 covers.  With 52 different characters possible in those 60 covers, the odds of you getting 5 covers or more of a single character is less than 1%.  And who knows if it will be a useful character?  And with every new 5* character, these numbers get worse and worse.

That's why players hoard tokens for good stores instead of pulling classics.
    If your goal is to champion all the characters then all 52 of those characters are "useful" to you, because they get you incrementally closer to your goal.

If your goal is to minmax your roster and only get the best characters, then who cares if they skip old 5* in the rotation?

If you have both goals then those are directly in conflict and you should probably pick one or the other.
    I don't think it's a conflict to want to champ all the 5*s but have the highest levels on the best ones.  In fact I think that's in line with two major goals of the game: collecting the characters and putting together the best competitive team.  Every champ character is also an additional source for rewards.

It's natural for opinions on skipping shards to be dependent on who got skipped. I didn't care about Banner shards. I am bummed to miss Onslaught shards.  But it's hard to complain because they're Wanda shards and she's future meta.  If Kitty or Okoye got skipped when Sighclops or Mehneto entered rotation I'm sure there would have been lots of complaints.

If you enjoy pulling classics you keep doing what you enjoy.  I'm not trying to stop you.  But the math is undeniable.  The dilution of the classics pool has created odds that do not support a cover distribution sufficient enough to reliably champ 5* characters.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I also benefit from the fact that I've been pulling classics since classics contained 3 characters, and with every character championed and 16 of them over lvl500, I have no dead draws in that pool.

My issue with minmaxing is not that some people do it, everyone should do what's most fun for them.  If hoarding is your thing, go for it!

My issue is that "the math is undeniable" has become such an unquestionable mantra that players who don't enjoy hoarding/minmaxing feel that there is no alternative way to build their roster, and for whatever reason they keep playing a game in a way that's not fun for them.

Players should think about what their goals are and what's fun for them, and if they disagree with the conventional wisdom they should choose what's most fun for them, because ultimately we're playing a game, not managing a retirement account.
    Right on.  First and foremost the point of the game is to have fun.