Another classic character denied

Options
St_Bernadus
St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
So for the current event, we get Wanda shards. But the 5 star essential is Onslaught. So we will not get shards for him.

Personally I have him champed and am much more interested in Wanda. But a character in classics only comes around once in a great while and it seems like a great shame to miss them.

If I recall correctly, this also happened with Colossus and another classic. It has been the norm of late to throw some new character shards into placement and progression at the expense of the 5E for the event and there have been the odd grumble about that (Apoc got nixed twice). But doing this to a classic in their rare appearance seems very off.

I am not sure what the best solution is. Not doing it means the new character buzz is diminished. We don't want the new character to be the 5E though...unless we could all get a loaner for that one event? I could stand for it remaining the same if the classics were not the ones to miss out. They are hard enough to get already.

Comments

• loslupus
    loslupus Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think devs should just introduce 5-star shards for alliance events and reward them for the 5-star that was skipped. Easy solution and dated alliance event rewards would get the boost they desperately need.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It looks like boss events are once a month now.  That would be a good place to slot in the passed over 5* classic shards.  They can always up the personal progression and add it at the end so that there's something to do for fast clearing alliances.  
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    best solution to just play.  rewards no matter.  Get all marvel characters after time
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Progression is already super slow in this game, so yeah it stinks when they bypass a classic considering it takes a century to cover a classic 5 star. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Based on existing patterns, it wasn't Onslaught's turn to begin with. I would have expected to see him in rotation... mid-late October? He'd be due right around Anniversary, and that would push him back a tad, most likely.

I do agree that it's frustrating that characters seem to have an uneven amount of the spotlight due to the new character release patterns. 7-day events are only a partial fix (the idea that you get 250 shards of both characters DURING the event is solid, but you'd still only get shards for one of them from placement in the previous event, so it's still not "even").

Maybe instead, all release events would just feature the oldest Latest 5, and it would just interrupt normal patterns (so if you see that same 5 two events later, who cares?). It's a gentle push to focus on covering such a character (good for the devs, as it encourages players spending), but it's good for the players too (nobody gets "skipped" in rewards, and players have had a little bit of time to build that character up during their Latest run).

Regardless, I'm on board with everyone that would like to see this situation improved.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This has happened twice with classics since the rotation changed. Once, Banner shards got skipped. And now, Onslaught’s are getting skipped. I’ve been trying to piece together the new rotation (since the devs won’t give up that info), and notice that the only people to appear twice are the ones who had their shards skipped.  So while it sucks, at least none of the “yet to be featured” classics didn’t get skipped. 

New Rotation:

• Iron Man
    • The Hulk (BB)
    • Yelena Belova **
    • Black Bolt
    • Hawkeye
    • Star-Lord
    • Doctor Octopus
    • Apocalypse **
    • Daredevil
    • Rescue
    • Onslaught **
    • Gambit
    • Mister Sinister
    • Archangel
    • Ghost Rider
    • Killmonger **
    • Jessica Jones
    • Okoye
    • Wasp
    • Loki
    • Wolverine (SD) **
    • Kitty Pryde
    • Cable
    • Heimdall **
    • Kingpin
    • The Hulk (BB) [??]
    • Storm
    • Deadpool **
    • Iceman
    • Professor X
    • Black Widow
    • Doctor Strange
    • Magneto **
    • Jean Grey
    • Captain America (IW)
    • Adam Warlock **
    • Doctor Doom
    • Onslaught [??]
    ** = it will be their first time as a classic

Yet To Be Featured:

• Silver Surfer
    • Thor
    • Carnage
    • Wolverine (OML)
    • Spider-Man (BiB)
    • Beta Ray Bill
    • Captain Marvel
    • Captain America (FA)
    • Spider-Man (PP)
    • Green Goblin
    • Havok
    • Hela
    • The Hulk (IH)
    • Black Panther
    • Thanos
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I was retired from the game when Onslaught was released and I have exactly one cover for him. So imagine how I felt when I saw that he was featured and that they were skipping over him for shards.  :|
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    About the 7 days events, my suggestion would be first the 5E shards, and final rewards on progression  5* favourite shards.
    Yess!! Everybody playing like crazy. With new challenges!
    Oh, and about the skipped 5* I didnt come with anything. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Put a CP store with the replaced as the only 5* inside using 1:9 odds or worse odds.

Or put the typical cp store with the replaced 5* for 250cp.

Or a special shard stores for the replaced 5* @ 14000HP.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    they could just double up and give shards for both. it won't break the game...
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I thought everyone purposely avoided pulling for classic 5* because they're all bad and thus worthless.  Why would anyone want Banner shards when nobody pulls tokens for him?
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I thought everyone purposely avoided pulling for classic 5* because they're all bad and thus worthless.  Why would anyone want Banner shards when nobody pulls tokens for him?
    You avoid pulling classic tokens for 5* because the odds are absolute garbage.  How can all classic 5* be worthless when the entire meta lives in classic tokens....

I wouldn't chase Banner and I didn't miss his shards but all it takes is a quick look around the forum to see the number of players with a champ em all mindset.

Event rewards for lower tier characters are the easiest way to collect them without sacrificing targeting more competitive characters with your pulls and shards.

Onslaught is not even a bad character, he's solid.  I wouldn't pull tokens just for him but I'd be happy to see him in a store with one of my higher priority characters.  My 9 cover Onslaught missed these shards.
  • Theghouse
    Options
    Put a CP store with the replaced as the only 5* inside using 1:9 odds or worse odds.

Or put the typical cp store with the replaced 5* for 250cp.

Or a special shard stores for the replaced 5* @ 14000HP.
    They already did, it's the 250 CP offer.  That's buying 10 tokens with guaranteed 1:10 odds and no consolation prizes.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Theghouse said:
    You avoid pulling classic tokens for 5* because the odds are absolute garbage.  How can all classic 5* be worthless when the entire meta lives in classic tokens....

I wouldn't chase Banner and I didn't miss his shards but all it takes is a quick look around the forum to see the number of players with a champ em all mindset.

Event rewards for lower tier characters are the easiest way to collect them without sacrificing targeting more competitive characters with your pulls and shards.

Onslaught is not even a bad character, he's solid.  I wouldn't pull tokens just for him but I'd be happy to see him in a store with one of my higher priority characters.  My 9 cover Onslaught missed these shards.
    I don't think it's actually possible to champion them all without pulling classics.  I say this as someone who has them all championed (minus Cyclops and Colossus) who *only* pulls classics.

The odds are the same as latest, aren't they?  You do get more pulls if you pull classics, so you get more 4*, which feeds your 4* dupe farm into even more cp and tokens!
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    best solution to just play.  rewards no matter.  Get all marvel characters after time
    What about those with different play styles or goals? As a collector/farmer I happen to be in the same camp as you. There are, however, many players who only want their favorite characters and wish to pass on all of the others. I am not willing to say that those players are playing "wrong". It's actually a great way to play if you don't want to spend money or a lot of time playing.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Given that there are players who went as high as 50 or 60 pulls without any 5*, 250cp is still considered cheaper to hit that specific goal. Maybe they can offer cash bundle instead, or vault with whatever number of missed out shards for that 5*. For example, a 40 or 50 items vault for that disadvantaged 5*. 
  • Theghouse
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Theghouse said:

I don't think it's actually possible to champion them all without pulling classics.  I say this as someone who has them all championed (minus Cyclops and Colossus) who *only* pulls classics.

The odds are the same as latest, aren't they?  You do get more pulls if you pull classics, so you get more 4*, which feeds your 4* dupe farm into even more cp and tokens!

While the odds of getting a 5* cover is the same, the odds are not the same on a per character basis.

In latest and Specials, a 15% chance divided by 3 characters is 5% per character or 1 in 20.  With the dilution of classics that 15% chance spread across 52 characters is 0.29% per character or 1 in 347.

SCL 10 PVE and PVP progression alone can get you at least 8000 CP a year, not counting placement, node rewards, champ rewards, alliance buys, or any other sources. 

Spent in either Latest or a special store, you get 320 pulls and the expected amount of 5* covers is 48 covers which depending on distribution could be all 3 champs or at least 2 champs with the 3rd pretty close.

Spent in classics, you get 400 pulls and the expected amount of 5* is 60 covers.  With 52 different characters possible in those 60 covers, the odds of you getting 5 covers or more of a single character is less than 1%.  And who knows if it will be a useful character?  And with every new 5* character, these numbers get worse and worse.

That's why players hoard tokens for good stores instead of pulling classics.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Theghouse said:
    Theghouse said:

While the odds of getting a 5* cover is the same, the odds are not the same on a per character basis.

In latest and Specials, a 15% chance divided by 3 characters is 5% per character or 1 in 20.  With the dilution of classics that 15% chance spread across 52 characters is 0.29% per character or 1 in 347.

SCL 10 PVE and PVP progression alone can get you at least 8000 CP a year, not counting placement, node rewards, champ rewards, alliance buys, or any other sources. 

Spent in either Latest or a special store, you get 320 pulls and the expected amount of 5* covers is 48 covers which depending on distribution could be all 3 champs or at least 2 champs with the 3rd pretty close.

Spent in classics, you get 400 pulls and the expected amount of 5* is 60 covers.  With 52 different characters possible in those 60 covers, the odds of you getting 5 covers or more of a single character is less than 1%.  And who knows if it will be a useful character?  And with every new 5* character, these numbers get worse and worse.

That's why players hoard tokens for good stores instead of pulling classics.
    If your goal is to champion all the characters then all 52 of those characters are "useful" to you, because they get you incrementally closer to your goal.

If your goal is to minmax your roster and only get the best characters, then who cares if they skip old 5* in the rotation?

If you have both goals then those are directly in conflict and you should probably pick one or the other.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I don't think it's actually possible to champion them all without pulling classics. 

I am 4 covers away from having all classic 5-stars champed and I never pull classic tokens (aside from a few very early on before I knew what I was doing). If shards were a thing for my entire playing time, I'd likely have been done long before now. I am on day 1834.