5* Match Meta - who is part of it/how are you playing it?

2»

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, killmonger is missing in that list. He is a bit expensive critical maker, but his passive enhances match damage. And with these new monsters incoming, 150% match increasing is a world apart.
    Killmonger also locks criticals and penalizes them, although it is too situational.

Like I said on other threads match damage meta is still missing pieces, characters covering more colors, perhaps some bonus skills (it would be perfect one countering hulkoye teams plus match damaging other colors).

About AW, I love playing him on pve and on sim too. But I think he is not the character for to design a team focused on him, as he will lose his damage and the team will be  left hanging out. Possibly colossus could be more fitting on that role due to his tanking and huge health.
    The future is coming and I am very thrilled for to see what its next.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    I really haven’t found a use for Killmonger yet myself; he seems so almost useful, but for whatever reason I can’t find something to use him with.

ive tried him with Onslaught, iHulk, and Ghostpool, also Yellowjacket. He’s alright with Ghostpool since they both punish the opponent when you match opponent’s strongest color.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Ignore his purple power and focus on the other two powers. I see his passive black functioning as a pseudo-Penance Stare. Put him with someone who tanks and true heals or put him with a team that can create/buff protect tiles. Then, let enemy matches critical tile. ~30k of passive damage is impressive.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I did use Yellowjacket for today's Welcome to Shield hard node, and rode that invisibility fortress out pretty effectively. I have a low-coverage Phoenix though, so I needed a gimmick. Morbius wasn't enough on his own. Definitely still won that match off of power damage though, not accelerated match damage. I'm still not 100% convinced that it's a "meta" even if it is a "build concept"
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Wanda's ability to generate any color tiles and add them to the board has some potential in match damage meta.
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Theghouse said:
    Wanda's ability to generate any color tiles and add them to the board has some potential in match damage meta.
    I was hoping the match damage meta would be Wanda’s counter but it looks like her passive reduces any type of damage not just from powers. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    C&D and Mockingbird can do ome of those already in some way.
  • Theghouse
    Wil88 said:
    Theghouse said:
    I was hoping the match damage meta would be Wanda’s counter but it looks like her passive reduces any type of damage not just from powers. 
    Match damage can still be her counter.  She doesn't reduce damage until after somebody gets hit for the first time.  If you can hit her with Colossus' heavy match damage and his single hit nuke, you can deal a fair amount of damage on 1-2 hits per turn, getting the majority of it in while avoiding the damage reduction.

But for Warlock, if his traps go off on Wanda's turn or his AOE procs at the start of his turn, it will trigger Wanda's reduction before his turn to match, negating his match damage boost.  Just another reason why Warlock isn't cut out for the match damage meta.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Speaking of Colossus. You can use his Blue to remove Wanda's repeater, which means she stores no charges for that turn.

Looks like Colossus will comfortably find a spot for himself in the match damage meta and anti-meta.
  • Theghouse
    I might have to roll back my comment about warlock slightly.  I typically shield hop with Thorpocalypse and this was the first time I was limited because Thor was featured.

I shield hopped with Warlock and Chavez, with +2 all AP and 100% match damage boost.  That was insanely faster than Thorpocalypse, like not even close. Might be my new go-to until I can champ Colossus who will do it even better. 

This combo should also survive Wandefense being built on big single hits, but unfortunately Colossus will negate it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I got Warlock champed this morning, and man I do not yet have the knack of keeping him alive lol; I’ll have to experiment some with him.
  • Theghouse
    I got Warlock champed this morning, and man I do not yet have the knack of keeping him alive lol; I’ll have to experiment some with him.
    For longevity I run him 5/5/3, that maximizes all his healing abilities and doesn't start his self-hurt AOE until 6 black AP.  If I'm using him in PVE it's typically with Thorpocalypse so if I have more than 6 black AP I'm usually going to fire Apoc's black anyways.

For quick hops where I will heal him before each match if he's hurt, I run him 5/3/5 and use his yellow right before match end if I have the chance to save a health pack.