Oops! All polaris!

Options
2»

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    And sometimes behind BRB I can see some peter.
    Are we really not gonna talk about the phrasing of this?
    Where's Archer when you need him?
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just cleared SCL9 in Howard’s PvP. First time I’ve ever had the guts to go that high. I know it’s only the first day and all but Polaris rocks. Please never nerf her
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just cleared SCL9 in Howard’s PvP. First time I’ve ever had the guts to go that high. I know it’s only the first day and all but Polaris rocks. Please never nerf her
    Howard's PvE is a nice one to try, very goon heavy and the bad guys are not too OP. In truth, it is really only the 5E that can be pretty tough depending on what your 5* shape is in.
  • Sekilicious
    edited April 2021
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Howard's PvE is a nice one to try, very goon heavy and the bad guys are not too OP. In truth, it is really only the 5E that can be pretty tough depending on what your 5* shape is in.
    My 5* characters are pretty pathetically covered across the board. Hopefully progression at SCL9 is more rewarding than top 50 at SCL7. I might have to drop when new 4* characters are introduced 
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm so glad that Polaris week is over. Her being boosted together with characters like Kingpin and Talos means it's Polaris-only all week long, which is just so boring. I wanted to run some Spider teams for the Spidey PvP, but yeah none of them boosted and instead Polaris boosted, no chance of that. Shame.
  • AlexR
    Options
    When I saw the title of the event, I was really hoping it meant that we'd be restricted to only using spiderverse characters. I do like such events for giving us a break from the usually PVP opponents, but sadly that was not the case this time.

Now that I've finally champed Polaris, I have been using her quite a bit, but to be honest I'm a little reluctant to as it often feels a little too quick and easy to win with her, thus making it less fun. Yet I still often feel compelled to because she is one of the best options for going up against another Polaris. So I'm still all for nerfing her. Besides, it's not like they have to nerf her to the point where she becomes useless. Surely it's possible to tweak her abilities in such a way that she's still top tier, but doesn't dominate the game quite as much. For instance if electromagnetic resonance was changed such that it only activates when matching special tiles, doesn't do additional damage and/or creates 1 less special tile than currently.
    ...You're new here, aren't you? :wink:
    Basically, don't expect mild nerfs that would bring an OP character to a reasonable level. MPQ's devs don't do that. They always overnerf hard. If Polaris gets nerfed, she'll be dead. Look at Gambit (either one), look at Bishop. So if you suggest a nerf, don't do it with the expection that it will just mildy tweak her. Unfortunately, it's pretty much all or nothing with nerfs here.
    The rest I agree with-- I expected at least the rest of the Spiderverse characters to be boosted too for some Spiderverse Shenanigans.
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, I was getting the impression they tend to overnerf. I was just suggesting that perhaps they don't need to. Too naïve?

I was actually getting quite a bit of use out of Kingpin in this event. I wasn't particularly excited when I managed to champ him recently, but his Wilson's Gambit can pack a hefty punch, particularly when he's boosted. ~8000 AOE damage? Yes please!
  • AlexR
    Options
    Yeah, I was getting the impression they tend to overnerf. I was just suggesting that perhaps they don't need to. Too naïve?

I was actually getting quite a bit of use out of Kingpin in this event. I wasn't particularly excited when I managed to champ him recently, but his Wilson's Gambit can pack a hefty punch, particularly when he's boosted. ~8000 AOE damage? Yes please!

I'm honestly note sure if it's on purpose. Considering the first time they nerfed Gambit, they accidentally buffed him instead before they overnerfed him into the ground the second time and they keep making several attempts at counters that will very obviously not counter the thing it's trying to counter until they finally hit something that works.
    Maybe that's naive on my part, idk. But yeah, just pointing that "nerf her, provided it's a mild nerf" is an illusory argument and it's important to be aware of that. :( Sadly, no matter how sensible it would be.
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't think Polaris needs a nerf personally. You can beat her pretty easily even in a full synergy team with several counters. At least that's been my experience, fighting through 4* land. Karnak/Chavez duo is always solid for deleting single targets quickly. Lately I've also been having a lot of fun with Throg, Medusa, and Lockjaw against Polaris combos, especially if it's with Carnage or someone else who grants friendly special tiles. Tank forever with Medusa healing doing her red's passive damge and pumping AP, Lockjaw jumping to the front to absorb hits and bite back as well as damaging off the green passive, and Throg producing charge tiles dodging damage and hitting back with his blue. With the added bonuses of Lockjaw's variable blue keeping things fresh, Medusa's purple stealing tiles and board shuffling as a means to counter tiles, and Throg's ability to jump the team out of danger with a heal and a hit that can be pretty lethal sometimes on landing you can often float without taking any real damage until you're ready to drop his green and tear through the enemies health while simultaneously getting rid of a full board of special tiles and replacing them with tasty charge tiles. Lockjaw can be swapped out for someone else synergistic, preferably one with a strong blue so Medusa can feed it, but I recently got my Lockjaw fully champed and I've been waiting for an opportunity to see him shine.
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't think Polaris needs a nerf personally. You can beat her pretty easily even in a full synergy team with several counters. 
    Sure she's generally not too difficult to beat if you have the right characters. The point is that it's just boring seeing her everywhere when there are so many other characters in the game.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Against Polaris in 4* land, I like to bring out

1) Team Sacrifice: 3* Marvel, 3* Hulk or 4* Rhulk.
    2) Team AP Gains: 3* Hawkeye and Medusa
    3) Team Countdown: 4* Deadpool, Drax, Rhulk or Agent Coulson
    4) Penance Stare: Domino, Ghost Rider and a tank who also true heal.

Others worthy of being mentioned: Rogue, Mr Fantastic, Karnak & a tank/true heal.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unpopular opinion, but I wish she was a 5 or boosted all the time. She was the IHulk counter the 5* tier needs during her boost. Her ability to flood the board and stun cheaply really shut him down while her passive damage whittled away at Okoye. Was able to rattle off tons of quick wins agains IHulk using Polaris/Bill; as she had the health and damage to sustain the early hits and clap back. Going to miss her boost in the 5* tier!
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    More unpopular opinion: Polaris is the best thing to happen to endgame 5* players probably ever.

Before Polaris I rarely saw 4* or 4*/5* teams in PvP, at least at high point levels.  Now I see them all the time and it's fantastic! 

I use a lvl520-something Thanos + Hulk, and that team really punishes opposing teams for bringing a character with low health.  Polaris has *extremely* low health (compared to other 4*), so even when she's paired with a champion 5* I'm looking at a 30-60 second match at most, with no chance of a successful retal.

When they nerf her (and...they will) I hope there's another low-health 4* that lets those players climb that high.
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    They might not nerf Polaris, not directly anyways. I imagine a similar situation to the Grocket nerf, where instead of changing his skillset they released multiple counters to the point where if you bring him without a certain character that current dominates the 4* PvP and PvE meta he is pretty vulnerable. After all, Grocket, Gamora (or Kitty), and Medusa were all over PvP just a couple of years ago (last year? I wouldn't know). Like numerous others have stated, Polaris is pretty vulnerable and easily countered depending on who her partners are. Frankly, if Morbius (along with Sabertooth) renders Grocket and BRB obsolete then Polaris may have difficulty maintaining her place in the PvP meta. 
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't think Polaris needs a nerf personally. You can beat her pretty easily even in a full synergy team with several counters. 
    Sure she's generally not too difficult to beat if you have the right characters. The point is that it's just boring seeing her everywhere when there are so many other characters in the game.
    Even if she were nerfed to oblivion it wouldn't suddenly create a situation where many other characters are used.  There is always going to be a fastest team that is "overused" at every level.  Nerfing Polaris would remove her from being that option in 4* land only to be replaced with another meta team that you would see all the time.  Polaris is good in the sense that she fits multiple teams but isn't gamebreaking by herself due to her very low health.  Even when boosted there are solid counters.