Oops! All polaris!

Options
Bad
Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
And sometimes behind BRB I can see some peter.

Comments

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 648 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Sabertooth my friend, then you'll be laughing like jameson when someone asks for a wage advance 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    morbius seems like he'll be a rather effective counter to special tile spammers
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Polaris everywhere!!  

Uh oh, Bad gonna move his nerf okoye/ihulk to now nerf Polaris/brb.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She won't be nerfed. She just won the favorite female MARVEL Puzzle Quest character contest. Can you imagine them nerfing Polaris after giving everyone 400 of her shards?

https://d3go.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/?l=en&s=news&f=assemble-your-mpq-top-8-female-characters-poll-3-28-21
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 571 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I feel like Polaris is pretty easy to defeat in 5star land. I can see her being a real pain in the backside for people in the 4star meta.

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jredd said:
    morbius seems like he'll be a rather effective counter to special tile spammers
    On paper, I think you're right. In reality, I think we'll see some MorPol teams. It should be similar to SabrePol teams where Polaris users are trying to safeguard against other Polaris teams. The key to this strategy is his blue since it destroys rather than removes. It's also cheap so Polaris can fire her blue first, then it's all Morbius from there. Unfortunately, the AI will likely use Morbius's blue before Polaris's every time. Unless the 3rd wheel happens to be Carnage or Grocket, MorPol will be a decent, but not great PvP defensive strategy.
  • Bad
    Options
    Polaris everywhere!!  

At the very least polaris/BRB/kitty has one counter now, and it looks good.
    Still waiting for an effective one for hulkoye.

Before becoming too used to defeat okoyes lev 520 :#
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    Polaris everywhere!!  

BRB/Kitty is easily countered by Thorpocalypse and BRB/Kitty is itself a counter to Hulkoye. Of course level 500+ characters are going to be nigh impossible to counter at lower levels but there is a button that can be pressed that assists with that - it is called "skip". The only true counter needs to be "fix MMR so that it doesn't stretch to 50+ levels difference". Won't happen because then the already small pool of 500+ players will have literally nobody to beat on once they hit certain thresholds. So expect PvP to remain broken.
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When I saw the title of the event, I was really hoping it meant that we'd be restricted to only using spiderverse characters. I do like such events for giving us a break from the usually PVP opponents, but sadly that was not the case this time.

Now that I've finally champed Polaris, I have been using her quite a bit, but to be honest I'm a little reluctant to as it often feels a little too quick and easy to win with her, thus making it less fun. Yet I still often feel compelled to because she is one of the best options for going up against another Polaris. So I'm still all for nerfing her. Besides, it's not like they have to nerf her to the point where she becomes useless. Surely it's possible to tweak her abilities in such a way that she's still top tier, but doesn't dominate the game quite as much. For instance if electromagnetic resonance was changed such that it only activates when matching special tiles, doesn't do additional damage and/or creates 1 less special tile than currently.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It wasn't that long ago I was still in 4* land and yes whilst Polaris is monotonous to constantly run into it is no different to the other meta teams/characters of the past (Medusa teams were particularly horrible to wear down) except with the added bonus that she is really really squishy. SHIELD Sim is always clogged at certain points with the same teams/characters over and over again, it is as true in the 5* tier as the 4* tier. Players will claim they have no choice but that is a half truth - it is simply easier to run these teams especially if they offer any sort of deterrent on defence. We might as well embrace these characters and watch how the game develops and the meta shifts. Morbius should be lots of fun against the special tile spammers. This is why I like having a broad roster - it gives you options.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When I saw the title of the event, I was really hoping it meant that we'd be restricted to only using spiderverse characters. I do like such events for giving us a break from the usually PVP opponents, but sadly that was not the case this time.

Now that I've finally champed Polaris, I have been using her quite a bit, but to be honest I'm a little reluctant to as it often feels a little too quick and easy to win with her, thus making it less fun. Yet I still often feel compelled to because she is one of the best options for going up against another Polaris. So I'm still all for nerfing her. Besides, it's not like they have to nerf her to the point where she becomes useless. Surely it's possible to tweak her abilities in such a way that she's still top tier, but doesn't dominate the game quite as much. For instance if electromagnetic resonance was changed such that it only activates when matching special tiles, doesn't do additional damage and/or creates 1 less special tile than currently.

Polaris is very present in the 4* meta but various combinations of her and other heroes make it pretty diverse and the way you play all those different matchups is also different; it has nothing in common with the problems present in 5*. There are a handful of viable teams in 4* and more often than not they directly solve another team while presenting vulnerabilities to a third. With Throg and Morbius coming into play there are even more possibilities.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Polaris meta has some good counters. Polaris/Grocket countered by Polaris/Sabertooth by Karnak/America by Polaris/Grocket. When Morbius is champed on most rosters he will appear on some of these teams more often. I’m still not certain how I approach Karnak/Polaris even with Morbius as the third. 
  • Bad
    Options
    Last time this event was released all webbthrowers were buffed. They were hard to beat, at least for my old MMR. 
    On this event like the previous one is polaris the one buffed and she shows to what extent she is the best 4* with better connections to 5*s.
    Not sure if spiders could beat her anymore.
    Still Im sure morbius will hunt her on time, as he can erase special tiles arguably faster than her.
    But not sure if morbius will take her on her throne.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The Polaris meta has some good counters. Polaris/Grocket countered by Polaris/Sabertooth by Karnak/America by Polaris/Grocket. When Morbius is champed on most rosters he will appear on some of these teams more often. I’m still not certain how I approach Karnak/Polaris even with Morbius as the third. 

I just skip it because it's a pain, I don't know what the "correct" response is either. You will win with Polaris/Grocket but definitely eat some damage along the way, it might be the current 4* defensive pick?
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I just skip it because it's a pain, I don't know what the "correct" response is either. You will win with Polaris/Grocket but definitely eat some damage along the way, it might be the current 4* defensive pick?
    Right now the problem is exacerbated because Polaris is boosted and, because she is THE meta 4*, everyone and their dog has her (Me too, I love me some Pocket). Next round, with both Polaris and Grocket no longer buffed, she should be a little easier to deal with without cascades ruining your day. I hope...
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Polaris is very present in the 4* meta but various combinations of her and other heroes make it pretty diverse and the way you play all those different matchups is also different; it has nothing in common with the problems present in 5*. There are a handful of viable teams in 4* and more often than not they directly solve another team while presenting vulnerabilities to a third. With Throg and Morbius coming into play there are even more possibilities.
    The way people talk about 5* land on here really makes me think I should just avoid getting my 5*s to champ level. XD

I don't generally find Karnak/Polaris to be much of a problem. At least no more of a problem than Karnak with anyone else. Karnak only puts down one defence tile and so it's rare that the AI matches and they have to fight over who get's to use their blue power. Just take some heavy hitters / stunners / characters that go invisible and avoid putting down any special tiles. Deadpool can be good given his retaliation and goes well Wolverine or Captain Marvel. America Chavez is always good, especially if you go in with a +1 all AP boost. 
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She won't be nerfed. She just won the favorite female MARVEL Puzzle Quest character contest. Can you imagine them nerfing Polaris after giving everyone 400 of her shards?

https://d3go.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/?l=en&s=news&f=assemble-your-mpq-top-8-female-characters-poll-3-28-21

This means more likely to be nerfed.

Polaris most powerful!

(And only half kidding)
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    Polaris everywhere!!  

...So you're telling me it's the Okoye level that is the actual problem on hulkoye? Insightful upvote for you, friend!

Polaris is a fine way to beat 500ish Okoyes, on the regular. I've seen unboosted Polaris take down 550 Okoye/550 iHulk.

But, as others have said, to regularly take down 520+....that's tough. And when everyone has that same 520+, and it heals....

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options

I don't mind most Polaris teams. Ever since I figured out how to down any Polaris team, I am happy with the match up. In fact, I prefer Polaris teams. There are only two Polaris teams I skip anymore.
    1. Polaris/Kitty- this one is just so annoying that I don't even bother. I can beat it, but it's not worth the stress.
    2. Polaris/BRB (top 25 only)- I can easily beat this one, but prefer to skip it once I have 700+ points. I just takes so freaking long to beat that I get hit by 3-4 other players before I can finish that one match.
    Like everyone else, I find it's just a combination of match-ups and who you target first in the battle. A sprinkle of boosts help to speed things up. My biggest fear, however, is Hulkoye so I'm trying to stay in 4* land as long as possible while building my 5s.