Release Notes 4.6 *UPDATE 12/10/20

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's a relatively surprising turn of events.  I'm sure the veteran players who were looking forward to the quest system feel a bit jilted. 

I know that many games have "catch-up" systems in place for new players to help give them a leg up, so that's not a problem in and of itself, but I oppose any new game feature being rolled out to a small portion of the player base and not all of it. 
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2020
    I really, really hope this is simply due to technical issues, and not a policy that would keep veterans from experiencing the daily quests...

I was looking forward to this feature when first announced, then it was teased heavily as of late, making me more excited, and now only to be snubbed for vets? ‘Tis an astronomical feeling of disappointment. 😢

Whatever the rewards may be, that’s not my main concern. I want to play any new features of this game, anything fresh is welcome and gives me more reasons to log-in and play!

If this is changed, thank you!
    If it is not changed, how is this not a kick in the shin to all veterans? After everything else we’ve been through, I don’t see how I can keep playing. It doesn’t instill much confidence that future updates won’t be restricted to certain players in the same fashion.

Furthermore, how does one define a “new player” in this system? If it is available only to a newly created account, how is that good for people who started just a few weeks/months ago? What are the parameters for who has access right now, while most of us do not? At what XP level / reward tier / card collection, etc. does one stop being a new player?
  • naabaldan
    naabaldan Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2020
    I had to create a new account to get access to it. I am not willing to play a fourth time from scratch just to do it. A push up for beginners is not a bad thing at all, though. 
  • Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    @Oktagon_Support thanks for confirming it’s not broken, but without a description of this new feature from you or the devs, we are left to our own expectations and not the ones set by you.

Personally, it is very unexpected that this feature would only be available to new players. Is this a beta rollout? Is this in response to some of the pre-feedback? (I can imagine all-rune rewards, for example, wouldn’t be popular with more experienced players) When can the rest of the player base expect to experience this feature?

There is no mention of this player limitation in the message with the update in the App Store, so I think expecting this feature to be available to me is reasonable. It also mentions holiday specials but I don’t see anything holiday-related yet. Again, without you setting any expectations, I am left to wonder if it is broken or coming soon. I would appreciate some communication on quests and holiday expectations. Thanks!
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Anyone who has done the new account thing care to share what’s so super awesomely newbie friendly about it?
    (And what about it might break the game if the vets get hold of it?)
  • naabaldan
    It gives you resources and origin booster
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    @Oktagon_Support thanks for confirming it’s not broken, but without a description of this new feature from you or the devs, we are left to our own expectations and not the ones set by you.

@b@Bubbles_CS - You nailed it!!!

I am no spin-doctor but even I know communication-101. Control the information stream above all else. So D3/Oktagon need to get the message out to the player base before this group reaches its own conclusions on an incomplete foundation. 

Now if only there had been some kind of possibility to do so. Let’s see...

1. For the better part of a year we had heard about the quest system.
    2. For months we have had a message on the opening screen saying the quest system is coming soon.
    3. Last week we were informed the quest system would be in the next release.
    4. Yesterday, the App Store contained the release and the app description didn’t mention anything about limitations to the quest system.
    5. Today, confusion is rampart about a buggy release on these forums and elsewhere.
    6. Finally, @Oktagon_Support informs us that the quest system is not meant to be for everyone. But sadly no one at D3/Oktagon has been decent enough to supply Marcela with usable information!?! (I’m sad to hear you are being treated this way @Oktagon_Support)
    7. Tomorrow, who knows what else is in store for us.

Really, Oktagon!!! You have had so many chances for taking control of the communication, all you needed to do was send out the message: “we will not release the quest system to veteran players - initially/maybe/ever”. Or something else, really so pitiful.  :'(

Again, I’m not faulting Marcela for this monumental blunder.
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    4.6.1 is available in the Google Play store
  • naabaldan
    No change for us...!?! 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have the whole information to provide yet!
    But I can say it's not a bug.
    Only new players have access to the Quest System for now.
    I will add more details when I have them.

I know this isn't your fault but unfortunately you're out point of contact for this kind of complaining.
    With that apology out of the way:
    Why the heck would Quests be designed like this?  Who in their right mind would spend a year hyping up a daily quest system, asking current players their opinions on a daily quest system, and reading and viewing player discussion on a daily quest system, and then implementing a daily quest system that 99% of the players (and 100% of players that provided feedback on it) cannot use?
    And if you were planning on making the quest system for new players only, WHY WAS THAT NOT COMMUNICATED FROM THE START.
    Again, I know this isn't your fault, you're just the fall guy (or gal, as it is).  But man either this is the worst feature design in history, its a deliberate attempt to be nasty to currently players, or it is a bug and you guys are all too ashamed to admit it.  No matter what, its not a good look for Oktagon on what should have been a slam dunk win.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    I cannot imagine any basis to assume that this feature will not be rolled out to all players when the time is right.
  • naabaldan
    As far as "new journal coming soon" is still our best info we can get,
    it will come, someday, until than, you can play a fresh account to enjoy it.
    An updated information is coming soon, i hope
  • Avahad
    Volrak said:
    I cannot imagine any basis to assume that this feature will not be rolled out to all players when the time is right.
    I should imagine you are right and it is a case of biding our time. 

What I don’t understand is why this is the focal point of the 4.6 update (at least in the App Store) but it isn’t actually available to pretty much any players.
    Seems to me they would have been better off not saying anything until it was actually ready.
  • Mburn7
    Avahad said:
    Volrak said:
    I should imagine you are right and it is a case of biding our time. 

What I don’t understand is why this is the focal point of the 4.6 update (at least in the App Store) but it isn’t actually available to pretty much any players.
    Seems to me they would have been better off not saying anything until it was actually ready.

Or maybe just telling us the truth?  All it would have taken would have been a "in order to test its stability this feature will only be available to new players for some time until we can roll it out for everyone" in any one of the pre-release notes, release notes, Q&A answers, general forum posts, or in game notifications that have been sent regarding this subject over the last year.
    I'm looking for the absolute bare minimum here, and still finding nothing.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    critman said:
    Honestly it's very unlike you to think that Oktagon would do something just out of the goodness of their hearts.
    There are countless examples where free offerings are used successfully as a strategy to bring in more business.  Like, say, the whole concept of freemium games.

In this case it's an enhancement of the actual core money-spinning product itself.

(Also, I'm not the topic.  That might help to avoid forum warnings. ;) )

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    *UPDATE 12/09/20
    Quest System INFO.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2020
    *UPDATE 12/09/20
    Quest System INFO.
    Thanks for the information and the fast feedback.

Veterans will have to wait for the welcome journal to get a taste of the system ... But it's a relief to know there's actually something to taste for them.

However, the quest reroll seems very expensive ... And for crystals again ... While it would have been the perfect place to use those piles of unused runes we get from events ... 🙄
  • Mburn7
    *UPDATE 12/09/20
    Quest System INFO.
    Quick questions:

1)  are you going to address the "new players only" aspect of the quests?  The FAQ says that veteran players will have them, but that doesn't match up with what we've been told/seen so far.

2)  Why are rerolls so expensive?  I get you don't want people spamming rerolls for better rewards or easier quests, but that is a seriously high charge.  I really hope there is a confirmation button to prevent someone accidentally dropping a pack worth of crystals on a reroll they didn't want.

3)  What is "you will receive the last reward continuously" mean?  Does that mean for every quest we complete after completing the journal we get the full journal completion rewards again (since that will be the "last reward" received) or does it mean something else?  I know that English isn't your or the team's first language, but the wording here is definitely ambiguous enough to cause problems.

Overall though, thanks for the additional clarification!
  • Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    It seems like the guiding journal is available for new accounts already. When will this feature be made available to everyone?
  • Avahad
    edited December 2020
    @Bubbles_CS According to the inbox message vips are beta testing it from the 14th-21st December.