Idea for a change to PvP points

Options
What if the points you earned from winning a fight were based on the level of the opponent's characters compared to you character's levels. So for example you have a team of lvl 100's, you beat a team of lvl 100's, you gain 25 points and they lose a portion of that (relative to their total point total as the current system works). Likewise if you have a team of 141's and beat a team of 85's, you get 10 points or something.

This system does a few things. It encourages you to fight above your lvl, not above your point total. It discourages tanking because if you're stuck facing low lvl teams, there won't be many points to get you going. It may or may not affect the frequency of retaliations (though I'd rather this mechanic was abolished all together).

I can forsee some possible abuse, for example get a high point total and then stick in a bad team so when someone beats you with a good team, you don't lose many points. However, there is nothing stopping someone from attacking you with their sub par characters for full points. IE: you put in a tank team by beating a seed team of lvl 15's. Instead of me beating you with my lvl 100 team, I pull out some lvl 20's from my roster.

This may even encourage more diverse use of characters.

I'm guessing this would involve a good deal of coding and isn't likely, but I'd still appreciate comments.

Comments

• The abuse of mid-range teams by strong opponents is a problem with the current match-making system, but the other problem with the match-making system is that it generally can't find you opponents that are worth anything at all. My most commonly-used hero team is composed of 3 141s; under this system the only opponents I could ever fight who would be worth their full value would be similar teams of maxed 3*s. I have no objection to that level of challenge, but gimping my point returns from all of the other fights would basically make me incapable of earning any points. Not only would I have the current tiny sliver of available worthwhile opponents, but all of those worthwhile opponents who didn't have their teams maxed would be worth proportionally fewer points and would have a proportionally more rewarding retaliation. Point scaling would basically make people with maxed teams non-viable in PvP.

There isn't anything wrong with the idea of a challenge-based reward; it's just that the retaliation system and janky match-making in this game prevent it from being feasible.
  • I also have a strong team and I recognize that I would rarely get more than 25 points per match. But if you don't tank, your mmr should have similarly strong teams. When I wasn't tanking, I was always fighting 141's, I don't see why you would be any different.

So on the contrary, if you stay within your mmr, you should consistently get between 20 and 30 points. Also if you really wanted more points, you could **** yourself with one low level character.
  • More or less, yeah. But all of my opponents aren't level 141. And once your guys are level 141, a system like this means that at best you will get all of the points you are otherwise entitled to for a fight. Again, until the pool of opponents stops being so shallow, I don't think any system that restricts it would be helpful.
  • I think there would be less incentive for leveling (and therefore playing for and/or purchasing ISO).

I could play with lv 15s against other lv 15s for normal points (e.g. 25). But if I level them to lv 20, I need to face lv 20s for same points. So I'm still fighting opponents equal to me for same points but I had to spend ISO.
  • I think there would be less incentive for leveling (and therefore playing for and/or purchasing ISO).

I could play with lv 15s against other lv 15s for normal points (e.g. 25). But if I level them to lv 20, I need to face lv 20s for same points. So I'm still fighting opponents equal to me for same points but I had to spend ISO.

I think you have a valid point here. I don't know how scaling works in pve with a lol lvl roster, but the concensus seems to be that it is favourable. So you may be right, this could potentially lower incentive to make your characters stronger.

So I propose and amendment, what if the average level of the other team has a base value of points and this is added to the moddifier that compares your team to theirs.

So your team is 141, the enemy team is 141. The base value of beating that team is 10 regardless of your level. Your level matches theirs, so the comparative points are worth 25. Meaning you would earn 35 points for beating that team.