**** Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov) ****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited December 2020 in Character Details

Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov)
4-Star Rarity (Legendary) 
Affiliations: Heroes

"As a soldier and test pilot for the USSR, Alexei Shostakov proved his skill and unimpeachable moral character. His homeland recognized these efforts by selecting him for the government's Super-Soldier Program, where he assumed the inspiring and patriotic mantle of Red Guardian." 

(Abilities listed at level 70, followed by 270) 4038 Health / 14956 Health
 37 |  42 |  33 |  9 |  10 |  8 |  23 |  3.5x
 74 | 85 |  65 |  12 |  13 |  11 |  43 |  3.5x
Man of Action - 8  AP
Red Guardian's powerful attacks level the playing field and the opponent. Deals 605 damage plus an additional 504 extra damage if there is at least 1 enemy Protect tile on the board. This power ignores enemy Protect tiles. (Max level 1179/983 damage)
  • Level 2: Deals 856 damage, deals 713 extra damage if there is an enemy Protect tile. (Max level 1668/1391 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 1107 damage, deals 922 extra damage if there is an enemy Protect tile. (Max level 2157/1798 damage)
  • Level 4: Deals 1609 damage, deals 1340 extra damage if there is an enemy Protect tile. (Max level 3135/2614 damage)
  • Level 5: Deals 2612 damage, deals 2176 extra damage if there is an enemy Protect tile. (Max level 5090/4244 damage)
Iron Will -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Red Guardian inspires his team to great heights by demonstrating his own resolve. Whenever an ally fires a power, Red Guardian creates 2 strength 25 Yellow Protect tiles. (Max level strength 50 tiles)
  • Level 2: Creates strength 35 Yellow Protect tiles. (Max level strength 70 tiles)
  • Level 3: Creates strength 45 Yellow Protect tiles. (Max level strength 90 tiles)
  • Level 4: Creates strength 65 Yellow Protect tiles. (Max level strength 130 tiles)
  • Level 5: Creates 3 strength 70 Yellow Protect tiles. (Max level strength 140 tiles)
Close Quarters - 8  AP
Red Guardian engages the enemy in single combat. Creates 2 strength 44 Attack tiles and stuns both Red Guardian and the target for 1 turn. If there are 5 or more friendly Protect tiles on the board, stuns the target for 1 additional turn. (Max level strength 85 tiles)
  • Level 2: Creates strength 76 Attack tiles. (Max level strength 146 tiles)
  • Level 3: Creates strength 107 Attack tiles. (Max level strength 207 tiles)
  • Level 4: Creates 3 strength 114 Attack tiles. (Max level strength 219 tiles)
  • Level 5: Creates strength 187 Attack tiles, can stun target for an additional 2 turns. (Max level strength 361 tiles)

Release Schedule

All times in Eastern

Store Offerings

Red Guardian & Friends - Nov 8-13

• 80 Item Vault

• 3x 4-Stars

• 1x Random Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov) cover

• 1x Random Magik (Classic) cover

• 1x Random 4-Star cover

• 7x Tokens

• 1x Legendary token

• 1x Mighty Token

• 2x Heroic Tokens

• 3x Beginner Support tokens

• 6x Iso-8

• 1x 5,000 Iso-8

• 2x 2,500 Iso-8

• 3x 1,000 Iso-8

• 15x 3-Stars

• 3x Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) covers

• 12x Random 3-Star covers

• 49x 2-Stars

• 10x Bullseye (Dark Avenger) covers

• 39x Random 2-Star covers

Release Debut:

Operation Spider Silk - Nov 5-10

• Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov) in placement rewards

Introducing… Red Guardian - Nov 5-12

• Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov) Shards

Featured Event:

The Hunt - Nov 9-13

• Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov) as a progression reward

Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. - Nov 8-13

• Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov) Shards

• Tokens to the Red Guardian & Friends Vault

Versus Tournament:

Red Alert - Nov 8-11

• Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov) as a progression reward

• Rewards tokens to the Red Guardian & Friends Vault

Comments

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    Operation Spider Silk...

Is that a new PvE?  I don't see another one during that time slot...
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    PiMacleod said:
    Operation Spider Silk...

Or someone's PvP?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    PiMacleod said:
    Operation Spider Silk...

The hunt will be his pve. I used to fail misunderstanding his pvp, too. Actually is not very clear if it is a new pve, it could be.
    Well, he is a protect tile and a bit of attack tile spammer. Equipped with a good punch ignoring protect. He can have good sinergy with a lot of characters.
    Actually is not the type of character that I like the most.
    Without watching the film, some people call him Hopper.
  • skittledaddy
    The Hunt is his progression event.

Spider Silk (if PVE??) could still be his placement event. 
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2020
    Operation Spider Silk preview is live.  5* Deadpool is also in the placement rewards for the higher SCL.  I guess we're all going in blind not knowing the difficulty of this event.  But based on the blurb it might be more goons and Dark Avengers. My guess is they'll finally use their new minions in this event.

• skittledaddy
    Operation Spider Silk confirmed in-game as a new PVE Event.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Looks like something we probably would have got in May if the movie release wasn't pushed back.
  • Bad
    Loosie said:
    Looks like something we probably would have got in May if the movie release wasn't pushed back.
    I love it a new event. I think they took the right decision releasing it now after another delay. After all, pves based on films never follow their plots, like cosmic chaos and pursuing thanos.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    That Yellow is going to be a problem.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    Anon said:
    That Yellow is going to be a problem.
    Yea, his pvp is gonna be full of britty teams.
  • marvel075
    marvel075 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    the only good thing about him is his yellow, (due to meta teams) and even that is mediocre. Other than that he looks SUPER basic, plus his shield training might be the worst out of all of them. His extra red damage won't trigger less an enemy protect is on the board (which he can't create himself), and on the day 3 node, you def don't want to trigger thing's passive just for his red.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 374 Mover and Shaker
    So can we get a breakdown of Spider Silk?  4x1-day pieces, or is there a 2-day one thrown in there?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m really excited for new PVE, but not excited about playing it on CL10 for the Heimdall shards I need
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    His abilities are straightforward, except for his Close Quarters, which is a little interesting. I hope his 5* partner is not Black Widow.  :D

I wonder if AIM Goons or Sentinels will be added in finally.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    I can see a lot of teams with about 40 protect tiles out by turn 10. He’s going to be on meta teams somehow .
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    His protect tiles are placed on only yellow tiles, unless you are pairing him up with BRB/Polaris, and maybe Magik. Then you get 40 protect tiles by turn 10.

I wonder if he can replace Mysterio in my fun team of Magik/Bishop(nerfed)/Mysterio. 
  • Michael1957
    fnedude said:
    So can we get a breakdown of Spider Silk?  4x1-day pieces, or is there a 2-day one thrown in there?
    Based on the total points needed, near 70,000,  it usually presumes a 4 node event. That’s my guess only . 
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    I'm not really feeling it. Negasonic and Elsa may not quite have been at the same level as Polaris, but at least their sets seemed interesting to me. Red, weirdly, comes across as though he's been rushed. I wonder if Apocalypse's set was originally designed for Red Guardian (other than the unstunnable with mutant allies).

Anyway, his Red is comparable to Peggy's. Better value if opponent has protects, worse if they don't.
    Yellow feels very lacklustre to me.
    Perhaps his passive could be updated to also grant him additional damage bonus from Protect tiles. That is, they would effectively double as both Protects and Strikes for damage that he deals.
    Blue seems expensive for what it does. The self stun means it's not spammable.

He's going to be a better defensive partner than Polaris for BRB. The self stun is less of a drawback in the hands of the AI that would only fire it once anyway. But really, I don't see anything that jumps out as either strengthening or altering the meta. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

• Bad

He's going to be a better defensive partner than Polaris for BRB. The self stun is less of a drawback in the hands of the AI that would only fire it once anyway. But really, I don't see anything that jumps out as either strengthening or altering the meta. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

What it is not very usual is that a 4* alters the meta. 
    He will have good sinergy with brb, but not better than polaris. Polaris auto spam posible protect and red guardian spams though firing a power.
    About shield training, him at max level will be a great help. If they pair him with karolina or wasp 4*, in example, it could be really interesting.
  • Michael1957
    I like the cover they chose for him. I remember buying the issue when it came out , Hercules was great in the Avengers lineup . I doubt we ever see him in the game .