Why am I supporting this game?

FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2020 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I've had some growing frustration over the months with MTGPQ.  I've been trying VIP out for over 7 months now, as well as frequently buying extra content to try and support this game.

Now, thinking about that I've paid well over $200 into this game, in just this year, solely for digital content...and most of the cards I got either:
1) didn't worked as it should for *months*
2) still doesn't work now
3) causes a game freeze that results in an auto-loss.

Then I see with the new updates they've stripped our free rewards even more...

All this has really got me starting to feel like I'm a fool for contributing to a game that feels more now like a pay to win than a f2p game with purchasable content.

Should I drop my VIP?  Should I stop purchases altogether? What do you think?  What have your experiences been?

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @FindingHeart8 - I had a Master VIP for some months, but I dropped it, when they threw the “booster packs are not updated” bomb on us.

Since I have a complete legacy collection, I didn’t mind to much that some cards didn’t work, because I just played around with some other cards.

Right now a subscription for me is equivalent to purchasing 500 orbs for 50 bucks a month, I don’t do that. But I will buy specific offers if they give guaranteed cards that I find interesting. Also PW that seems interesting, but that is highly dependent upon the size of my gold coffers.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    I dropped from the Sub. and Coalition once the changes to crafting and booster packs came into play. I check in once in a while hoping for a huge over haul to the game , but all I see is an increase to the grind for less rewards ,a buggy product and overpriced digital cards. I play PaD which is far superior product for about 6 years now and coming back to to this is hard with such long load times. The whole Standard to legacy selling tactic never sat with me well , especially, for a virtual product. It was hard to break away at first with some of the money invested , but now I have my weekends back. Once you take a break , you'll realize how much of a slog this game is and have a hard time even loading the game.
    One thing to add is the lack of creativity in the game. Each set really doesn't bring much to the table. There are 2-5 really good cards every 3 months or so that you chase for a boat load of money only to have them disappear eventually. Oh well, just waiting for that reset.
  • redryder
    redryder Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    I was on master VIP for about 6 months. That enabled me to complete my standard collection before Zendikar dropped. Although I don’t have a complete legacy collection, it doesn’t make sense for me to continue VIP just for Zendikar. The non dupe packs will become orbs once I finish the Zendikar cards. I’ve enjoyed going back to f2p, getting packs feels more precious again. With VIP it always felt like more orbs. 
  • FindingHeart8
    Aeroplane said:
    I dropped from the Sub. and Coalition once the changes to crafting and booster packs came into play. I check in once in a while hoping for a huge over haul to the game , but all I see is an increase to the grind for less rewards ,a buggy product and overpriced digital cards. I play PaD which is far superior product for about 6 years now and coming back to to this is hard with such long load times. The whole Standard to legacy selling tactic never sat with me well , especially, for a virtual product. It was hard to break away at first with some of the money invested , but now I have my weekends back. Once you take a break , you'll realize how much of a slog this game is and have a hard time even loading the game.
    One thing to add is the lack of creativity in the game. Each set really doesn't bring much to the table. There are 2-5 really good cards every 3 months or so that you chase for a boat load of money only to have them disappear eventually. Oh well, just waiting for that reset.
    I agree with your points, but did you drop from the game entirely?

I have thought a lot about how much extra time I had in my life, which now MTGPQ absorbs.  When I started this game, I had a lot of time to kill, I was a college student who spent a lot of time waiting for the bus and had a student job that allowed me to sneak a match in here and there when my boss wasn't looking.  Now that I am a bit older, my time is more valuable to me, and looking at weekend matches that require at least 3-5 hours of my weekend, every weekend, feels more like a chore than actually enjoyment.

Still, as much as I actually *want* to take a very long break from this game, I don't think I could leave my coalition, we have such a great bond.  But as MTGPQ continues to become "more work, less loot," I keep returning to this point and wondering if continuing to play is the right choice.
  • FindingHeart8
    Tremayne said:
    @FindingHeart8 - I had a Master VIP for some months, but I dropped it, when they threw the “booster packs are not updated” bomb on us.

Since I have a complete legacy collection, I didn’t mind to much that some cards didn’t work, because I just played around with some other cards.

Right now a subscription for me is equivalent to purchasing 500 orbs for 50 bucks a month, I don’t do that. But I will buy specific offers if they give guaranteed cards that I find interesting. Also PW that seems interesting, but that is highly dependent upon the size of my gold coffers.
    Yeah having a complete legacy collection was my justification for continuing VIP top.  I'm not completely there yet, just missing a few masterpieces.  But I realize that I'm just stuffing the cards in a corner once I get them.  There is rarely an opportunity to *use* the cards as there are not many legacy events.

Which is why I was so excited to see the Hallows Eve event as an excuse to test out some of my newly acquired legacy cards.  But after half my matches hard freezing, forcing me to quit a turn or two from victory and take an auto-loss, any excitement I had in using what I spent my money to acquire is ruined.
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker

Still, as much as I actually *want* to take a very long break from this game, I don't think I could leave my coalition, we have such a great bond.  But as MTGPQ continues to become "more work, less loot," I keep returning to this point and wondering if continuing to play is the right choice.

I know it sounds callous but your coalition shouldnt be the reason you continue to play.  Games like this rely on that dynamic to keep you around.  How many times have people on this forum said the only reason they play past progression is for the coalition, all while enduring increasingly frustrating and grindy events, with little to no pay off?
    Your coalition will understand you need an extended break.  If they dont then your bond with them isnt as strong as you think.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Aeroplane said:

I have thought a lot about how much extra time I had in my life, which now MTGPQ absorbs.  When I started this game, I had a lot of time to kill, I was a college student who spent a lot of time waiting for the bus and had a student job that allowed me to sneak a match in here and there when my boss wasn't looking.  Now that I am a bit older, my time is more valuable to me, and looking at weekend matches that require at least 3-5 hours of my weekend, every weekend, feels more like a chore than actually enjoyment.

Yeah, I made my one man coalition and played  here and there then just couldn't bring myself to play anymore. I play Puzzle and Dragons which is quick to load , but an ongoing very challenging game. Having to "make time" to play just doesn't work , especially, when there are so many stops to the game. It's obvious they are not putting any resources or don't have the resources to make the game better. Most of the changes are to make money. That's ok if they give you a nice working product , but it seems to have gotten worse.

Taking a break is always a good thing. There are so many good games out there or just picking up a new thing even if its for a short time feels refreshing.
  • FindingHeart8
    Aeroplane said:
    Aeroplane said:

Yeah, I made my one man coalition and played  here and there then just couldn't bring myself to play anymore. I play Puzzle and Dragons which is quick to load , but an ongoing very challenging game. Having to "make time" to play just doesn't work , especially, when there are so many stops to the game. It's obvious they are not putting any resources or don't have the resources to make the game better. Most of the changes are to make money. That's ok if they give you a nice working product , but it seems to have gotten worse.

Taking a break is always a good thing. There are so many good games out there or just picking up a new thing even if its for a short time feels refreshing.

I agree, it feels like, at best, this game has grown quite stale...at worst, it's just a moneygrab.  I'm going to redirect most of my gaming expenditures to other games, which are still coming out with new material that is enjoyable.  For MTGPQ, I'm not sure if I'll keep V.I.P....probably not.  I think I'm going to revert back to a f2p player, and see if I want to keep playing :/
  • Wolfteeth
    Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    It’s all about the money now, I’ve been playing this game for years and it’s slowly becoming pay to play, it’s awful.  The new events and objectives seem loosely thought out, like 4 objectives of “creatures with toughness less than 3” and this new with 4 objectives of “creatures that cost less than 11”.  Do the designers think that this is fun? This is so lazy. I’m pretty over this game.  I will continue to play the weekend events but i have zero enthusiasm left to do anything else.  It’s too bad because this game used to be great 
  • Endbringer
    Endbringer Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2020
    Yeah they penny steal us everywhere, offering a tiny 5 jewels for placing 1st, M21 packs for All Hollows Eve even though Zendizar Rising just came out, as well as Chasing Flbthp having the last set rather than the newest. TotPW snagging 30 crystals every week day, missing an objective to drop a player potentially down to 300th place to get just some runes for your weekend long event, not allowing our VIP packs to carry over, dual art cards that should just already be the card you get from packs with a click option to see another picture; trial only giving 15 jewels now instead of 20, not providing more uses for mana orbs knowing people have asked for this for a long time because they're sitting on hundreds of thousands, and oh yeah, if the first card of any given pack is a duplicate, all the rest of the cards in the pack will be duplicates. That's not random, that's them deciding how much we get to progress no matter how much money we invest. Not to mention the fact that they know of all these errors and bugs that cause people to lose out on rewards and 95 percent of the time they deliver zero compensation. They never go into much detail or talk to you like you're a person when it comes to everything on these forums too. It's just a "thanks were looking into it" or nothing at all. The major suggestions people recommend to make the game better and a bit more fair, never ever get implemented. A 3rd deck slot costs 150 crystals? Are you kidding me?! Oh but if you invest in VIP you can actually have a few slots to save decks to play the friggin game without having to constantly remake them! That's plain wrong. They know if people want to keep those deck slots with all their 3 extra slots on every pw, they'll have to keep paying every month into the future or regress back to 1 or 2 per pw. That's them exploiting the very weakness they created and left us with and that's like some evil fish. 
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah they penny steal us everywhere, offering a tiny 5 jewels for placing 1st, M21 packs for All Hollows Eve even though Zendizar Rising just came out, as well as Chasing Flbthp having the last set rather than the newest. TotPW snagging 30 crystals every week day, missing an objective to drop a player potentially down to 300th place to get just some runes for your weekend long event, not allowing our VIP packs to carry over, dual art cards that should just already be the card you get from packs with a click option to see another picture; trial only giving 15 jewels now instead of 20, not providing more uses for mana orbs knowing people have asked for this for a long time because they're sitting on hundreds of thousands, and oh yeah, if the first card of any given pack is a duplicate, all the rest of the cards in the pack will be duplicates. That's not random, that's them deciding how much we get to progress no matter how much money we invest. Not to mention the fact that they know of all these errors and bugs that cause people to lose out on rewards and 95 percent of the time they deliver zero compensation. They never go into much detail or talk to you like you're a person when it comes to everything on these forums too. It's just a "thanks were looking into it" or nothing at all. The major suggestions people recommend to make the game better and a bit more fair, never ever get implemented. A 3rd deck slot costs 150 crystals? Are you kidding me?! Oh but if you invest in VIP you can actually have a few slots to save decks to play the friggin game without having to constantly remake them! That's plain wrong. They know if people want to keep those deck slots with all their 3 extra slots on every pw, they'll have to keep paying every month into the future or regress back to 1 or 2 per pw. That's them exploiting the very weakness they created and left us with and that's like some evil fish. 
    And breathe... 😋😛

I do not agree with all your wrongs but the point is well made.
  • JamesGam
    JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Its really unfortunate but the game seems to be going in a very pay to win direction. 

Some of it may have to due with the VIP exploit whiplash. I wouldnt be surprised if the statistics associated with that timeframe (which should now be coming to an end) became greatly skewed; resulting in this current state. 

And those who didnt participate in the exploit have lost the most. I didnt use my trial and I can say without a doubt that it has been and still is becoming more and more difficult for free to play players. 

What I dont understand is why the game is in its current state. There have been vast improvements overall and it appears there are tons of people subscribed to VIP. Additionally, there are accounts of personal non-VIP purchases. The game is guaranteed to be making tons of money compared to a year or two ago.. but why does this game seem to be going in the wrong direction? There are so many things wrong that greatly mask all the improvements in this game. 
  • JamesGam
    JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2020
    And as for quitting.. its hard, i know. 

But if your going to quit; its better you go all in and bite the bullet. You stay with your coalition chat; something is bound to come up to give you an excuse to download the app. You really got to cut it all off then as you regain your time and distance yourself from this app - youll start to forget and move on.

You can always come back but dont give yourself a reason until your ready because from my experience none of these new improvements to the game have satisfied my future outlook or hope for this game. Hope was the only reason I clung on but I regret every moment of it. 

Its like those terrible relationships you stay in because you dont want to start over, you dont want to lose your investment, you are afraid you wont find someone better.. etc. 

And heres a hard bit of cold truth. Now, I dont know how other coalitions are but these people you stay with.. very rarely will they ever be your best buds. They arent going to your wedding, they arent going to be there for you during tough times, they arent going to jump on a grenade for you. I mean they'll help you out a bit, they'll throw some condolences; but, they got their own lives. They arent bad people; in fact, they are awesome. And maybe you'll meet a very select few who care; but, thats like 1-2 peeps out of like 50. Most arent your homies so do what you need to do and take care of yourself first because no ones going to do it for you in this game - good luck. 
  • Wolfteeth
    I hope they read every single word of this and respond 
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Wolfteeth said:
    As long as they don't respond "we're looking into it" ... 😁
  • Wolfteeth
    Bil said:
    Wolfteeth said:
    As long as they don't respond "we're looking into it" ... 😁
    Right??? I used to be so psyched on this game and would buy a planeswalker from each set to support the game with other occasional bundles from the vault, now I have zero urge 
  • FindingHeart8
    edited November 2020
    Thank you for the candid feedback guys, it means a lot. :)

I have played almost everyday, regularly 2-4 hours now, going back to...wow, 2016.  I was so excited for this new set to drop.  I had been looking forward to it for months.
    But my dislike for the increasing moneygrab tactics, and the increasing necessity for playing for free rewards is changing my feelings about the game.  I don't enjoy the game like I used to; it feels like a chore, and the rewards no longer balance the cost, both by money and time.
    The entry barriers for new players now are too high.  These new changes the developers have made do not look promising for the longevity of the game.  I hope they reconsider the wishes of the players base, it is still very possible to make rewards easily accessible for players, while making a considerable profit for the company.
    Anyways, I plan to drop my VIP this month, and I'll probably only play the game on occasional weekends only.  If I still feel this way, I think that means it's a sign that it's time to move on.

Rant over, thanks for coming to my TED talk.