1 missed objective in Seize the Day has me in 277th Place! Why?!

2»

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    It really needs to be like as follows for ranking rewards in pvp events : If a player gets a perfect score, they're in 1st place. If a player misses the least value objective once, they're doing the second best a player could possibly do and would be in 2nd place. If they miss the high value objective once, they're doing the 3rd best a player could possible do and would be in 3rd place. Basically if you're 1 less point from perfect, you're in 2nd, 2 points less you're in 3rd and so and so forth. This way when a person spends 3 days straight playing an event and they end up getting unlucky and miss a single objective, they won't feel so destroyed and ranked so very low for all of their efforts. Then all of the 6-150 or more brackets would actually have purpose and payout.
    I like this idea
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    This becomes much more of an issue when you lose because of a glitch. I would have been perfect in this last Colossal Tussle, except I lost one match on a freeze. That loss dropped me from #1 to #309. Their policy only lets them reward you one tier higher as "compensation." So a perfect run netted me the 4th or 5th tier prize because that's how far one loss drops you, and they refuse to make you whole.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've long advocated for 200 player pools. The greater collection of App games follow this reward protocol. Higher ROI for players, more players participating, more likely to buy into packs. Happier crowd all around. Downside is prizes are usually reserved for the 1st hundred. The second half would get a few crystals and runes. Highly competitive but worth the effort IMHO 
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    To directly answer the question it’s because of their refusal to change the system.
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I cast 2 of 3 supports so I missed a single 3 point objective and that has me in 277th place, going from earning 4 packs of Odyssey/Torment/Judgement, 55 Jewels, 65 crystals, and 3000 runes to 1 pack of Odysee, 10 crystals, and 3000 runes. That's a huge difference for a single objective being missed. I can't imagine what it would be like to actually lose a match. Probably drop to the 500-3000 ranking rewards and only recieve 3000 runes. That's insanely unfair! That's ridiculous! That's total ****! Participate in every match in the event, and miss a single objective or god forbid lose a match and be placed in the bottom rankings, completely bypassing 6-25, 26-50, 51-100, 101-250, and being bumped down down and kicked out to the curb for trash rewards. Who amongst the game developers came up with this brilliant idea??? This will or at least should cause everyone to eventually quit playing this game. It's not just Sieze the Day either, it's every ranking event. It needs to change now. If you go perfect, you're in 1st. Miss a single 2 point objective, you're in 2nd. Miss a 3 point objective, you're in 3rd. Miss two 2 point objectives, you're in 4th. Miss a 2 point and a 3 point, you're in 5th. And so on and so forth. That's how it should be. I'm sure everyone agrees.
    I feel your pain.  I have also complained about this before and have suggested a similar new ranking system. I even suggested this in the Q&A.  
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    You are assuming you are facing decks designed for those specific objectives, which isnt the case.  I know it can seem like it, but every time it's come up, the devs have said the decks we face on a specific node are not locked to decks created for that specific node. Through community testing, some events have shown to match you up against decks of the same color, if the node is color locked (like RtO), but nothing more.  That hasnt even been confirmed, only tested extensively by the community.
    You also cant assume everyone is playing for top rewards.  A lot of people play to progression and stop.  They dont need finely tuned decks meant to meet every objective, only decks good enough to get a win and one secondary most of the time (anyone who faces me in Challenge of the Courts would go against this type of deck).  A lock down deck is perfectly viable in that instance, especially with a limited card pool like Seize the Day. Assuming that Karn deck was built for the bottom left node of Seize the Day, and they ignored the speed objective (an objective a lot of people find annoying and skip) then playing lock down is a tried and true means of winning, and it gets you the first objective. 
    If I was under the impression the decks I would be facing were designed for fast wins (or Im new to platinum and constantly getting beat by better decks), I would pack a ton of lock down/kill and bounce and either play to my 3rd ability, or slowly build my advantage until I won (which is exactly what I did when I first hit platinum years ago).  Karn always has a win condition with his 3rd, just because Greg rarely uses it doesnt mean the player wasnt building the deck with it in mind, and it doesnt mean the player was "trolling" you. 

As far as troll decks goes, your under no obligation to complete those objectives.  As said before most people go for progression and are done by so they don't care about there deck.  Some people want to go for that perfect score so they make those decks to meet those objectives. 
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I hope this can be remedied soon- currently there are ZERO players ranking in the 6-25 or 25-50 brackets. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man I miss the good old days.
    In the first ever Terrors event I placed Top 10 with about 6 losses worth of missed points.  And that was back before ties, when your placement was based on how fast you finished your nodes!

That was an exception, (it started the same day the new set came out and had very set-specific objectives) but even after that 2 losses would still get you in the top 50-100.

Nowadays its so easy to get perfect or near-perfect scores 1 loss immediately bumps you into the 0 rewards bracket.  Its so frustrating, especially with how many losses can be caused by bugs or crashes (or just horrible RNG).  Before I stopped playing I was getting more or less the same scores as I did back then (0-2 losses per event) but instead of getting rewards for that I was getting 1000 useless runes.  That's not the reason I stopped playing, but it certainly didn't make me want to stay.

For once I can't think of a solution (other than a severe power de-escalation of all cards and walkers, but nobody wants that), but man do I understand the feeling.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    Man I miss the good old days.
    In the first ever Terrors event I placed Top 10 with about 6 losses worth of missed points.  And that was back before ties, when your placement was based on how fast you finished your nodes!

That was an exception, (it started the same day the new set came out and had very set-specific objectives) but even after that 2 losses would still get you in the top 50-100.

Nowadays its so easy to get perfect or near-perfect scores 1 loss immediately bumps you into the 0 rewards bracket.  Its so frustrating, especially with how many losses can be caused by bugs or crashes (or just horrible RNG).  Before I stopped playing I was getting more or less the same scores as I did back then (0-2 losses per event) but instead of getting rewards for that I was getting 1000 useless runes.  That's not the reason I stopped playing, but it certainly didn't make me want to stay.

For once I can't think of a solution (other than a severe power de-escalation of all cards and walkers, but nobody wants that), but man do I understand the feeling.
    Agreed, doesn't even take a full loss to bump you out of the rewards section, just miss a single objective for whatever reason and the 15+ matches you won perfectly dont count for squat.
  • Persil
    Persil Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2021
    This becomes much more of an issue when you lose because of a glitch. I would have been perfect in this last Colossal Tussle, except I lost one match on a freeze. That loss dropped me from #1 to #309. Their policy only lets them reward you one tier higher as "compensation." So a perfect run netted me the 4th or 5th tier prize because that's how far one loss drops you, and they refuse to make you whole.
    Same here. After the first 9 matches of current Colossal Tussle:
    - games won: 8
    - games lost due to freezing glitch: 1
    As a result: rank 380, yeeey!

Interesting to note that you also had a freezing glitch in Colossal Tussle. To me, it happened 2nd time in a row - I had exactly the same problem in December, with the same node and same PW. Do you remember, if yours was in the left node, too? Or were you using Teferi?

I already left a ticket for that: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/84346/game-freezes-with-empty-gems-left#latest
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Persil said:
    Same here. After the first 9 matches of current Colossal Tussle:
    - games won: 8
    - games lost due to freezing glitch: 1
    As a result: rank 380, yeeey!

Interesting to note that you also had a freezing glitch in Colossal Tussle. To me, it happened 2nd time in a row - I had exactly the same problem in December, with the same node and same PW. Do you remember, if yours was in the left node, too? Or were you using Teferi?

I already left a ticket for that: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/84346/game-freezes-with-empty-gems-left#latest
    I don't recall which node it was, but I don't use Teferi. I got through this event with no freezing.
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    from the games shareholders perspective  it would be in their best interest  to fix the reward system to be a total point based system rather than rank (on non coalition  events). I've completely quit on playing events if I miss one objective accidentally... if you don't go flawless  what's the point of continuing  to play.... And that hurts the "active player" metric they are  striving for. I've had 2 daylong events I would have kept playing and grinding on... but oops one missed objective... I guess I'm done with that event now.
  • Persil
    Persil Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Tezzeret said:
    from the games shareholders perspective  it would be in their best interest  to fix the reward system to be a total point based system rather than rank (on non coalition  events). I've completely quit on playing events if I miss one objective accidentally... if you don't go flawless  what's the point of continuing  to play.... And that hurts the "active player" metric they are  striving for. I've had 2 daylong events I would have kept playing and grinding on... but oops one missed objective... I guess I'm done with that event now.
    True that. The game which froze for me was 4th, out of 18 in total. It didn't matter that there are 14 games left, it didn't matter that the freeze was not my fault - I was done with the event.

BTW you mentioned "active metric player" - is there any data/info on the actual numbers, or any hint what's its value, or how it have been changing over the past?
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    There is almost for certain  data on that... Not  available to us... certainly  not to me! One of the key factors most  mobile  apps look at to gage success is how many active players are playing and how long they are playing for in a sitting. Imo that's why they made vanguards the way they  did. It slows down gameplay and makes matches take longer.