Zendikar Speculation Thread

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2020 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Its that time of year already!  With Zendikar Rising spoilers coming hot and heavy which cards are you most excited to see in PQ form?  What are your ideas for how new mechanics will be ported over?  What walkers do you want to play around with already?  Lets get speculating!

(official card site for reference:  https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/zendikar-rising)

Comments

• Mburn7
    Options
    I am really curious what everyone think of the Party mechanic.  Something that is looking for 4 different creatures will definitely be tricky to port to a format where you can only have 3 creatures at a time.
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Guess those mutation creatures will have a bit more use with that then.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They might make creatures gain additional creature types, to fit the 4 creature types into the 3 slots.

But I'd bet the party triggers will be support token (hopefully indestructible as long as the creature is out). No limit to those!
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dual side land/something-else cards will be hard to translate to mtgpq, where lands are less important. But hey, we should get cheap single color lands to replace the gates
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Dual side land/something-else cards will be hard to translate to mtgpq, where lands are less important. But hey, we should get cheap single color lands to replace the gates

I was thinking they would be split cards that are either a spell or a gem conversion spell.
    But it would be interesting if they made "Basic Land" supports of each color (at the start of turn convert 1 gem to COLOR maybe) and just had the flip spells create the appropriate token.
  • spellsmasher
    spellsmasher Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    I am looking forwards to a green/black Nissa, and a new Nahari. I am sure Jace will be strong as well, but really looking forward to Nissa and Nahari. And mostly Nissa, I am hoping that she has better or equal power to Nissa WW, one can dream. Though it will be hard to displace Garuuk as the goto for green/black. And for Nahari I am hoping her powers revolve around equipment and making it easier to get out etc.

Also the I agree the party mechanic will be kind of interesting to see what they do with this. Though there is the card Outlaw's Merriment that produces support tokens of different types. So there may be some solution there.

The flip cards should be pretty interesting to see as well, if they do turn out to be a mana converter on one side and a spell/creature/enchantment on the other, it may change which converters are considered most useful. I mean it is not as bad as MTG to get a land on a later turn in this game. Though the castles, which are my preferred converters may be a bit tough to beat. But having the option in late game to be able to draw a converter then just decide to flip it for the spell ability could be very useful.