Has Apocalypse change the meta?

Options
2»

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No, but he has created more variety to the meta.
    Apoc is one of the best characters in the game. While that may not make him meta (usage determines that), he’s great. His best ability is probably the fact that Thorpocalypse runs through BRBitty teams like nobody’s business. Just make sure you match an enemy shield early and deny blue, kill Kitty (maybe deny red a bit), then kill BRB. 

Then vs BRGritty, just add BSSM, and don’t worry about matching shields early. Deny blue, kill R&G first (see if you can not use Apoc’s red on R&G if you can), deny red (there won’t be a lot anyway cuz of Thor), then kill Kitty, saving the black nuke for a one-shot to BRB.

Yeah, I've been playing Thor/BRB/Apocalypse in the current PVE and that really solves the "chase after yellow" limitation.  Boost red/yellow chase after whatever since Thor is feeding you red, yellow, and green, then when you can cast yellow, then probably cast red and literally kill one or two foes in one shot.  It's very, very good.
    Won't be quite as good when he isn't boosted, but it's still a solid team.  Regarding Thorpocalypse above - remember Apoc's red is not affected by protect tiles, and even unboosted it's doing 52k or so damage to one or two opponents (4 hits of 4k + 9k,) so it really doesn't matter how big those protect tiles get, at least for red.
    I've been playing with how to spec him, at this point since your attacks are boosted, I'm thinking 3/5/5.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He’s honestly just a really a well-designed counter-meta character.  Which makes him part of the meta by default. 

Bishop/Worthy- he ignores stuns (with a mutant)

Kitty- he spams protects way faster than she can overwrite them. 

Bill- he ignores protect tiles (with red)

1/2 Thor- he does random hits of damage (black) and damage for the lowest health hero (red)

And yeah I play him 3/5/5 for the 4th hit of red. 
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No, but he has created more variety to the meta.
    Of the last five latest (Sinister/Havok/iHulk/Yelena/Apoc) I'm hearing folks say they are trying Apoc in PVE (and really like him boosted, as do I) - but I haven't heard many saying he's their go-to in that portion of the game.

By far of those I'm seeing iHulk the most out there: but in part because he's a natural pair with Okoye, you don't need him super high to have a good team composition with those two, and lots had Okoye already champed as one of their PVE go-tos.

I do see Apoc as a 3rd quite a bit in PVP, in lots of team compositions. I don't see him as a 2nd that much, but there are a few teams I've found that have cracked for new characters and are using iHulk/Apoc. I've seen BRB/Apoc for those that either have much bigger BRB than anything else or perhaps don't have Okoye.

So he's out there, he's changed meta a bit, but I don't think he's the "must have" that people hoped for. There's always hope for the future though, who knows which old 5* will pair with newer ones.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Others: please specify
    I voted that because there are too many factors.
    As said above he is a round designed character. He has a lot of good properties, he has huge pool health and match damage, cheap powers and inmune stun posibility.
    This last one allows him to mess with bishop teams that are on the top without too much fear of losing.
    On defense his huge health pool is a threat because is not posible to deny all his colors and if BRB is there the priority is to deny blue.
    He was relative recently released so its early to say, people dont have him advanced enough for using him.
    He is not broken enough to be meta but with BRB he can be. Its sure that he has created more variety to the meta tough.
    And finally I think there is one who deserves another poll like this: Has Ihulk changed the meta? Then I would vote yes without a doubt.