To the people that create the powers of each character - good job!

Options
Projectus2501
Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
edited June 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
I was writing this in another thread but it seems worthy of a new one since compliment threads are in deficit on the forum.

The guy that is in charge of creating the powers for each new char does a great job mapping their powers. Thank you and this is much appreciated. 

Ps: could not end without a critic. The opposite can be said for the guy that chooses the level of each new char. Legion as a 4? Okoye and kitty as the most powerful chars in the game?... Seems random.

**Mod note: Edited title to better reflect the members of the dev team. - fight4thedream

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Gonna go out on a limb and point out that some powers are probably designed by ladies too.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,914 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was going to make a similar thread for 5* specifically. I remember around when Ronin and Sabretooth dropped, I was getting mad that we were getting Captain Marvel and Rescue quality 5*s but the cool powers seemed to go to the 4*s. But I’d say the recent string of 5*s have been awesome.  Of the last 10 releases (Storm, Iceman, Professor, Carnage, BRB, Sinister, Havok, Hulk, Yelena, Apocalypse), Sinister might be the only one I don’t like. Onslaught will likely join this list, as at least on paper, I don’t love him. But hoping to be surprised. But releases like Apocalypse and Hulk especially have a chance to be all time favorites of mine!

bluewolf said:
    To be fair and accurate, the credits list what appear to be two women on the design team, including the lead designer. 
    Glad you pointed this out!
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Gonna go out on a limb and point out that some powers are probably designed by ladies too.
    Let's not make this a gender thing. My native language is not English. I just meant whoever does that job. Man, women or cat
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To be fair, I wasn't thinking gender when the OP said 'guy'.  I call lady-friends in my life "dude", or include them in with the "guys" all the time.

Only on the internet can we be so injured as to take words of congratulations and twist them into something less.
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Let's not make this a gender thing. My native language is not English. I just meant whoever does that job. Man, women or cat

I certainly don't mean to suggest that you are a bad person.  and communicating effectively in a second language is always impressive, so I don't mean to criticize your english. 

But i didn't make it a gender thing.  gender is a thing that exists all by itself (or at least because of society at large and not because of me).  and I think that part of the reason that women don't always feel welcome in certain subcultures, like gaming, is because people in those subcultures frequently use language that excludes women (even if that language is used unintentionally).  so my goal is to politely point out that fact when i see it happening irl, and hope that maybe people will be at least a tiny bit more aware of this issue moving forwards. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    To be fair, I wasn't thinking gender when the OP said 'guy'.  I call lady-friends in my life "dude", or include them in with the "guys" all the time.

Only on the internet can we be so injured as to take words of congratulations and twist them into something less.
    I think we all know that the stereotypical developer most people would picture is historically a man.  And it's no secret that women have been struggling to be taken seriously as game creators for a very long time, even now it's an issue.  Anything we can do to support developers being appreciated for their work, regardless of who they are, should be something we strive for.

There are plenty of players who view gaming as "boy's/man's world" and view women as interlopers.  I don't like to give them reasons to think I agree.

The word "dev" takes just as long to type as "guy" and avoids any potential miscommunication.  I'm not trying to tell you how to speak, lol.  From my perspective if someone says the singular word "guy" to refer to a generic person, it's a male.  If someone says "you guys" or "hey guys" it just means everyone in the room/audience and it becomes a non gender specific noun, an alternative to "hey people".  It's just my take.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    There are a few characters where "designed by cat" would explain SO much :)
  • 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2020
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Felica Hardy or Patsy Walker? 4*🐱 
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    111MCH111 said:
    ZootSax said:
    Vhailorx said:
    I was going to suggest selina Kyle from Burton's "Batman returns" but that reference may be a bit dated.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    111MCH111 said:
    ZootSax said:
    Vhailorx said:
    I was going to suggest selina Kyle from Burton's "Batman returns" but that reference may be a bit dated.
    And working for the 'enemy'....
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gaming and comic culture historically was oriented for men, concretelly superheroes comics. Those designs reveal a deep love for each char.
    Indeed lastly they are rising their marks on originality and char research. For me too, Ihulk  apoc and now this legion are masterpieces. Who was the one that had the idea of choosing a zombie hulk from a new comic story? However the char is great and allows a total unique play.
    With the expectation of these new chars Im buying the concept of this new fast release. Good work!
    And we should accept more each release as it is instead of calculating tiers and levels.