***** Onslaught (Psionic Entity) *****

Comments

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    @bluewolf

Feels like the plan is to something like this as an intro to new 5*s and stick to the PvP events on release. Pure speculation though.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was trying to say PvE don't run together with boss event. So, I noted that someone has to sacrifice 250 shards. 

If you look at the original post, Onslaught shards are named as placement rewards in "Introducing Onslaught." event even though it's pure progressions. So, there are still copy and paste errors.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    They always do that in 'feature events' like this.
  • RickOShay
    edited June 2020
    With Onslaught's blue against most Britty teams, it seems like you would be able to convert Bill's blue CD and / or Kitty's red CD into their weakest team color. I'm glad this applies to all enemy special tiles, and not just S-A-P's.
    Supposedly it works on repeaters too?

That said, Britty's weakest color is most likely to be Black. Getting 'free' matches in black doesn't really help Onslaught unless it sets up a match-4+. Of course, if you run him with your own Apocalypse, this black AP could be quite useful. 

Against Thorkoye I believe their weakest color is Purple, and that could turn a bunch of Thor's yellow specials into some great purple matches. 

Can't wait to play Phychic Blast against Hela after she fires her black lol. I mean, is there no cap on this damage? Imagine picking the perfect spot against 3* Storm's Hailstorm.  up to 15 x 5515 = up to 82,725
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did we ever get clarity on the strongest to weakest wording? Is that across the whole board or just in the row and column selected?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did we ever get clarity on the strongest to weakest wording? Is that across the whole board or just in the row and column selected?
    I saw a video and it’s just the row and column. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really need to start reading more closely. I saw Onslaughts Blue here and thought it only destroyed a row and was like "meh". Just drew a blue from the Relentless Onslaught store and read the description there. It said row AND column. Came back to the forums to verify and realized I need to read slower.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    RickOShay said:

Can't wait to play Phychic Blast against Hela after she fires her black lol. I mean, is there no cap on this damage? Imagine picking the perfect spot against 3* Storm's Hailstorm.  up to 15 x 5515 = up to 82,725
    That is an awful lot of things that have to go just right (including letting the enemy cast a potentially nasty spell, if storm is up at 500+) just to get 82k for 7ap.  it seems like there are ways to get that damage that are both less contingent and lower risk.

Onslaught doesn't seem bad, his green passive is pretty good and he really is 5.5* tier with that health and match damage, but he seems overcomplicated, which is rarely a great thing in mpq.

Also, does he really have 85k health?  His base health is much much lower than apoc's, and health scaling is, as far as I know, always normalized across characters.  I feel like he should be closer to 72k.

• RickOShay
    You are certainly correct. But it seems all too often that when I forget to look at enemy BRitty's Team Up, i'm surprised by a Hailstorm, Coercive Field, or Bird Strike :)
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing I noticed is how massive Onslaught is in battle. When hes in front you cant see anything behind him.
  • bluewolf
    edited June 2020
    Anon said:
    One thing I noticed is how massive Onslaught is in battle. When hes in front you cant see anything behind him.
    Well then, he should be good for some amusing posts on the subReddit, if nothing else.

EDIT:  I realize it's somewhat academic, but this post still says "New character ******" and hasn't been updated with the actual Onslaught details.....

I am glad he's in the game as he was the driving force behind Age of Apocalypse, maybe we will get one or more variants from that story in game.  I think he could be interesting in some nodes, too.
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2020
    Anon said:
    Like or dislike it the art for onslaught does feel very true to 90s comics art (disclaimer, I am not personally a big fan of the extremes of that particular style).  For that matter, Onslaught has absolutely no feet to be seen in the game, appears to be about six feet wide, and is muscled like a particularly ripped slab of muscle with extra muscles on it.  All you would need to do is add some extraneous pouches and I might believe that Rob Liefeld had donated the art for this character to demi (actually, he does have feet, they are just normally concealed by the ability tiles, so I guess Liefeld didn't draw this. . .). 

• bluewolf
    edited June 2020
    Andy Kubert is apparently responsible for Onslaught's original design.  However, Rob Liefeld was obviously influential in the era.  A defense of his design is that he was at first doing things somewhat behind the scenes, before revealing himself as part of Xavier, and there certainly were not any visual hints of that.

Also, when referring to the 90's, the word "extreme" is supposed to be written "X-TREME".

And yes, of course there was an "X-TREME X-MEN" comic book.

X-TREME X-MEN 1Salvador LarrocaL Comic Art Community GALLERY OF COMIC ART

(And you thought Bishop was annoying before. I mean obviously he needed a trenchcoat and sunglasses, right?  Guess they were going for a Terminator vibe?)
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2020
    Yup, that's the real 90s stuff right there.  Bishop's elbow is larger than his head (and both are smaller than his pecs), the ladies all have waists smaller than most wasps, and the guns "in" bishop's hands seem to be entirely untethered from the space-time continuum of his body.. 

Also, I'm pretty sure that in the 90s it was basically a legal requirement that all companies introduce an "X-treme!!!!!!" sub-brand for all their most popular products.  (long hair for men, and the 'rachel' for women were also near-mandatory and are on display in this panel).  Only missing the head-socks and some pouches.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok so after playing Onslaught in his second node of introducing Onslaught I feel he is hot Garbage.  I say this because of his blue.  It only changes tiles in the column and row selected and only does damage if there are special tiles in that column or row.  This means you might get 2-3 special tiles and very little board shake from this power.  His green is good for really the first time fired.  His purple is a little better than expected since the trap tiles go on random tiles.  He is an 84k health meat shield and that is about it.  I originally thought his blue would transform all strongest tiles on the board.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    I thought that it would change every enemy strongest colour on the board as well, but nope. Offensively, he's not good. Defensively, I'm still keeping an open mind. A potential ~20k match-4 with Prof X could scare off some players who want to minimize healthpack usage. That's between half to one third of most 5* HP.

Is Onslaught so bad that no one bothers to come up with more teammates for him, Prof X aside? 

Is he Wasp or Kingpin tier? Or Archangel tier?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    He could possibly be one of the worst char for AI. Blue is cheap but AI will be missing it and doing nothing. He can do his passive once and hurting a bit but after that there not gonna be more TU on board. He could become invisible and hurt a bit but there are 3 possibilities to match his traps.
    I would say the only threat he represents is that. Delaying the battle a bit and tiny biting into the shadows.
    The same tactics a player could use to win the battle playing him.
  • bluewolf
    I still consider Wasp the worst 5, because she utilizes a special tile that only she uses and that also locks tiles, making your play worse when using her. 

Onslaught is probably just very meh, not as bad as them, due to his health and match dmg and possible pairing with prof.

If a player doesn’t have Prof he gets moved down more to somewhere in the bottom 5-8 in tier. 
  • Vhailorx
    I thought that it would change every enemy strongest colour on the board as well, but nope. Offensively, he's not good. Defensively, I'm still keeping an open mind. A potential ~20k match-4 with Prof X could scare off some players who want to minimize healthpack usage. That's between half to one third of most 5* HP.

Is Onslaught so bad that no one bothers to come up with more teammates for him, Prof X aside? 

Is he Wasp or Kingpin tier? Or Archangel tier?

I think archangel tier sounds about right.  Onslaught has some value due to his high health (3rd among all 5*s behind Apoc, Carnage I think) and match damage (tied for first), and good green passive.  He will have some value in combo with Prof X and may be strong against certain opponents, but overall he just doesn't bring the universal functionality that top tier characters have  That's basically archangel, who excels against a very small group of opponents, but is otherwise not really worth the trouble.