Is Bishops jump in front move broken (bugged)

Options
dingo
dingo Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
Took him for a spin in pvp and he wasn't jumping in front no matter the damage. Anyone running into this?

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I believe its a broken interaction with Wiccan, who has a tanking passive when he hits 6 AP in all colors.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wiccan seems the most likely cause.  The only alternative i can think of is that enemy didn't have enough match damage to proc your bishop (only plausible if you have a very high level bishop or were not fighting 5*s)
  • dingo
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I believe its a broken interaction with Wiccan, who has a tanking passive when he hits 6 AP in all colors.
    Wiccan wasn't in his Demiurge state.
    Vhailorx said:
    Wiccan seems the most likely cause.  The only alternative i can think of is that enemy didn't have enough match damage to proc your bishop (only plausible if you have a very high level bishop or were not fighting 5*s)
    I attacked a BRB/Bishop team. Took out BRB and Bishop started jumping in front again with just Wican left.
  • Mrcl25
    Mrcl25 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2020
    Options
    It's a bug.  Same thing happens when you use Bishop with other characters that have a jump in front passive, like Thing and Worthy Cap.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    well well this big will make PVP much more enjoyable for at least 1 event 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wymtime said:
    well well this big will make PVP much more enjoyable for at least 1 event 
    Just like how I encountered still some Gritty's last event, but no Gritty's, if you know what I mean.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 571 Critical Contributor
    Options
    yep. Any character that also has jump in front powers kinda breaks him a little (Rogue, Thing, HammerCap, etc)
  • dingo
    Options
    Bishop still works with Sinister,  just tried it. I think something changed with BRB. Didn't  notice anything changed in the wording of his powers though...
  • bluewolf
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have a theory about BRB.  Maybe something changed from earlier as far as how he works, but here goes.

His Clash of the Worthy is a conditional passive, much like, say, Iceman's and Sinister's (and Wiccan's) passives which only trigger when there is enough AP.

However, BRB's passive is based on the board condition (is there a CD out or not?) and requires the player to gather AP to place it.  This theory is supported by people observing BRB slowing down matches sometimes in general, suggesting that there is some extra "work" the game is doing when he is being run.

It's possible that when you have Bishop, and Wiccan, and BRB out all at once the game is getting stymied as to which one to prioritize as far as putting someone in front with all these passives impacting who does what.

So again the problem might be that Wiccan has a passive which is conditional (does he have enough AP or not?) and it's causing a bug when interacting with Bishop, and for whatever reason it's broken when Wiccan doesn't have enough AP.

Odds are no one (or almost no one, certainly not many high-end players) has chosen to run Wiccan with BRBshop before this, and BRB is only 6 months old, and the last Wiccan PVP was last June during Pride Month.  So the bug could easily have existed the whole time BRB has been in the game but no one knew or cared.

(There are 210 or so characters now, no one can test them all and make sure there aren't bugged interactions, right?  Or they knew and just let it slide because they don't have the time to fix everything when the release pace is relentless.)

It might be interesting to try BRBshop with some people like Iceman or Sinister in a pick-3 pvp, and see if Bishop works right, or if he's running into an issue like with Thing or Worthy. 
  • PinkoMcFlyToo
    PinkoMcFlyToo Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I am positive I was encountering the bug with Sinister/Bishop/Wiccan yesterday.
    My Bishop was not jumping to the front consistently, but did so sporadicly.
    Now I was going against a BRB Kitty team. Not even going to try and speculate how that could cause a problem.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    I am positive I was encountering the bug with Sinister/Bishop/Wiccan yesterday.
    My Bishop was not jumping to the front consistently, but did so sporadicly.
    Now I was going against a BRB Kitty team. Not even going to try and speculate how that could cause a problem.
    With Sinister you have the conditional dmg avoidance, and Wiccan has conditional tanking/go in front..... so I think there could easily be Order of Operations issues there for the game to run into when Bishop is supposed to jump in front.