play through refresh

Options
I know all about the refreshes and rubberbanding and what not, but I haven't seen anything on playing through a refresh time. I work nights so a lot of times I go in to work and a refresh has started yet not fully finished. Would the node continue to refresh as you play or will it stop and you have to wait another 12 hours. Therefore your only getting 150 aside from say a possible 400 that it gave off originally.

Comments

• My understanding is that nodes start at 100% of their base value, modified by the rubberband multiplier. Beat the node once, and the value drops to 80%, then 60%, etc. On a 12-hour refresh, 12 hours after the last time you beat a given node, its base value returns to 100%.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Each mission has a stack of attempts. The stack starts 5 high, and every time you take one attempt off the stack it takes 12 hours to refresh.

You get 20% of the base points for every attempt on the stack when you complete the mission. It then removes that attempt from the stack for 12 hours. So first time you get 100%, then 80% and so on down.

Now if you grind a stack down to 0 attempts and then start again when only 3 attempts have returned to the stack you will only get 60% of the possible points and that attempt will be removed for 12 hours again but it doesn't interfere with the other attempts still recharging.

The problem with this approach is you will not get a 100% opportunity, but you may get 2 80% attempts or 3 60% attempts depending on how patient you are. This isn't a good thing, as in a full stack you get a 100% and 80% and a 60% attempt.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Each mission has a stack of attempts. The stack starts 5 high, and every time you take one attempt off the stack it takes 12 hours to refresh.

You get 20% of the base points for every attempt on the stack when you complete the mission. It then removes that attempt from the stack for 12 hours. So first time you get 100%, then 80% and so on down.

Now if you grind a stack down to 0 attempts and then start again when only 3 attempts have returned to the stack you will only get 60% of the possible points and that attempt will be removed for 12 hours again but it doesn't interfere with the other attempts still recharging.

The problem with this approach is you will not get a 100% opportunity, but you may get 2 80% attempts or 3 60% attempts depending on how patient you are. This isn't a good thing, as in a full stack you get a 100% and 80% and a 60% attempt.

Ah OK so yes. It can only refresh 60%. If you play it at that point you will not get the full refresh. But how is it your saying you get 2-3 60%. Or 2 80%. Would it not just start at one or the other and then tricycle down as it did before?
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What he said sounded a little complicated so if you're confused at all, yes you can play through a refresh.
    The node stacks refresh from after you've completed them.
    So it's possible that instead of getting the score go from 100, 80, 60, 40, 20.
    You could end up playing for 20 points 5 times.
    It's not the optimal way to do it as you miss out on the extra points you would from letting it refresh fully.
  • I got you. Appreciate it guys
  • So is the strategy to play a node once and wait for it to refresh to full, play it once again wait, and only grind down on the last pass? Or, if I beat a node at 9AM (100%), another at 9:10 (80%), 9:20 (60%), 9:30 (40%) does it go back to 40% at 9PM, 60% at 9:10, 80% at 9:20 and back to full at 9:30 PM? In other words, regardless of the mechanics, what's the max possible efficiency? Also, does it make sense to open one node right away when the event starts, then wait until the nodes hit max? That's what I've been doing but I'm not sure that's the right thing.
  • So each try has its own 12 hour refresh. If you start a node at 8:00 AM and finish the 5th try by 9:00 at 8 PM it will still be depleted, at 9 PM it will be fully charged but if you look at it throughout that hour you should be able to see the stacks come back one by one?

And completing a match during that hour would drop you one notch and by 9 it would only go back up to 80% instead of 100.

So assuming i am understanding this correctly. Clearing each node a single time every two hours for the duration of an event is the absolute worst strategy possible. You will get all the base points available, but every node refresh will be completed at a mere 20%.
  • So each try has its own 12 hour refresh. If you start a node at 8:00 AM and finish the 5th try by 9:00 at 8 PM it will still be depleted, at 9 PM it will be fully charged but if you look at it throughout that hour you should be able to see the stacks come back one by one?

Thats correct.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    So each try has its own 12 hour refresh. If you start a node at 8:00 AM and finish the 5th try by 9:00 at 8 PM it will still be depleted, at 9 PM it will be fully charged but if you look at it throughout that hour you should be able to see the stacks come back one by one?

And completing a match during that hour would drop you one notch and by 9 it would only go back up to 80% instead of 100.

So assuming i am understanding this correctly. Clearing each node a single time every two hours for the duration of an event is the absolute worst strategy possible. You will get all the base points available, but every node refresh will be completed at a mere 20%.

Pretty much, yes.
    yes.
    yes.
    and yes.
  • Nemek wrote:
    So each try has its own 12 hour refresh. If you start a node at 8:00 AM and finish the 5th try by 9:00 at 8 PM it will still be depleted, at 9 PM it will be fully charged but if you look at it throughout that hour you should be able to see the stacks come back one by one?

Pretty much, yes.

So once you start a node, the best thing to do is grind it down all the way (or as much as you want) and wait for the full refresh 12 hours after the last win? Rinse and repeat?
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So once you start a node, the best thing to do is grind it down all the way (or as much as you want) and wait for the full refresh 12 hours after the last win? Rinse and repeat?

Yep pretty much.
  • Flume
    Flume Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    Just to clarify... All of the missions for a given event have independent refresh timers?
  • Flume wrote:
    Just to clarify... All of the missions for a given event have independent refresh timers?

Yes.
  • Is there any way to tell if a mission has hit max stacks, if you can't remember when you finished it exactly?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:

Yep pretty much.
    Well, that is if you want to deal with the scaling for complete deletions. Once you use up all the rubberbanding, the values are kinda peanuts
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is there any way to tell if a mission has hit max stacks, if you can't remember when you finished it exactly?

As long as you know how many refreshes you have pending on at least one mission node then you can figure out what your current rubber band multiplier is. Look in the event discussion thread to find the base values of the missions. Divide the current available mission score by the base score. Then divide that result by (100% - 20%* Number of Pending refreshes). That will tell you what your rubber band multiplier currently is.

You can then use that to check other missions to see if their current value is equal to the base value * multiplier. If you have refreshes still pending you'll find the values are 80%, 60% etc of max.

For example easy sub event 2 mission 01 has a base value of 62.5 points. If the current point value for it is 305 and you know you have one refresh waiting on it then your multiplier is 305 / 62.5 / 0.8 = 6.1X. You can check your other nodes against the base value to see which ones currently have values of 6.1X the base value. Those will be fully refreshed.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As I posted somewhere before, it would be really nice to have a gui element (popup, clock countdown, whatever) tell you how much time is left on your various refreshes.

At least that way newbies can see what's happening. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Cheers.