Flash could do with a rework

andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
I got the Daxos of melitis pack and started playing around flash and found the following:

Flash -only- triggers when you are attacked by an opposing creature. 

So a destroy, exile or bounce wont happen when there is only one creature , with summoning sickness on the board.

And even stranger, a self buff won't play at all unles attacked.

Maybe an idea that flash cards will trigger (with  play prompt where applicable) at the end of the casting phase instead of the start of the attack phase (since there is none when there is no attack.

Also, the manadrain cards with flash are quite useless: you drain mana -after- stuff has been cast, so you don't actually slow down your opponent....

Thoughts?

Comments

• Zethish
    Zethish Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Absolutely agree. Flash is very under-utilized right now due to the requirement of having an opposing creature attack.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    I still don't like the mechanic. It falls into the "things the AI cannot use" category.
    I wish all of those aspects of the game would either go away or get coded into the AI's capabilities.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    jtwood said:
    I still don't like the mechanic. It falls into the "things the AI cannot use" category.
    I wish all of those aspects of the game would either go away or get coded into the AI's capabilities.

If its too complicated for the AI to know not to target its own creatures with kill spells, I'm pretty sure there is no way to get it to intelligently use alternate casting mechanisms like flash, cycling (and the new "exile a card from your hand variants), and split cards/adventure.

Not saying it wouldn't be awesome if it could happen.  But I don't think there's any chance of that happening.
    (fun fact, I said the same thing about Vanguards once, so there is hope!)
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    jtwood said:

If its too complicated for the AI to know not to target its own creatures with kill spells, I'm pretty sure there is no way to get it to intelligently use alternate casting mechanisms like flash, cycling (and the new "exile a card from your hand variants), and split cards/adventure.

Not saying it wouldn't be awesome if it could happen.  But I don't think there's any chance of that happening.
    (fun fact, I said the same thing about Vanguards once, so there is hope!)
    Of course it’s not possible. It was my apparently-too-subtle way of saying it shouldn’t really exist in this game... along with other mechanics that make the PvP experience worse. 
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    I like Flash cards and I like turning any spell into a Flash card with a certain awesome Vanguard.
    I don't like the fact that it (and subsequently the Anticipation mechanic) are absolutely useless against a creature-less opponent.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Zzyzzx said:
    I like Flash cards and I like turning any spell into a Flash card with a certain awesome Vanguard.
    I don't like the fact that it (and subsequently the Anticipation mechanic) are absolutely useless against a creature-less opponent.
    This! 

Having a creatureless opponent or have disable the creatures in one way or another should not disable flash
  • andrewvanmarle

Another problematic flash card:

Karametra's blessing creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn (eot)

If enchantment creature it gets prevent dmg and hexproof until eot.

The hex proof will only "work" during your turn when greg would use a flash card to target this creature.

Greg never uses Flash.

Using the effect during Greg's turn means using it AFTER he played his spells, making hexproof redundant.