I Think I'm Done

Options
mrixl2520
mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
Had a weird experience yesterday after browsing the new Dual Deck event cards and new Theros Vanguards. Rather then feeling excited for new cards I felt exhausted. There are so many cards and events to try and make sense of now I am literally overwhelmed, and not in a good way. The last few sets have been kind of disappointing to me, there doesn’t seem to be much synergy between anything anymore. I love building decks and mastering the new mechanics, but the current stuff either doesn’t work without key cards, is bugged, or even if it does work is clunky/underpowered. 

This has come after my interest in paper Magic has also fallen off. I was a huge paper magic fan for about 10 years, but about 2 years ago I moved away from my hometown (Seattle!) and ultimately lost touch with my playgroup. Puzzle Quest was my go-to source of MTG, and even though it is quite different then paper, it has held my interest firmly since launch. I have loved this game. I spent many, many hours enjoying it, rarely missing a day. But today was the first day I intentionally haven’t booted it up. There is so much craziness going on in the world right now that I need to pay attention to instead. I will still find time to play games, but this little game has lost my interest. 

I’ll probably still poke around the boards now and then. I never really got to know any of you great folks, but I have enjoyed your discourse and analysis. Farewell, and may the swaps be ever in your favor.

~Mrixl2520

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I totally get it. Everything you said makes sense. Best wishes!
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's funny, but I had exactly the same reaction. Too many cards we will never get the normal way, too many unclear events, and new planeswalkers... well, let's say I didn't find the latest PW interesting enough to buy, even with crystals. I don't intend to quit the game, but I didn't have the patience to check the cards one by one as I did in the past, and that's not a good sign.
    Ironically, we've been clamoring for more (new) content in the past but I think the timing is wrong ...
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me seeing three galleries on facebook, opening them up, browsing through the cards and then having the same reaction as you guys: "meh". 

Good luck for any cards piercing the legacy cardbase. I'm done with legacy altogether when it comes to brewing... too many cards, too many interactions, at the rate at which the game is behaving crippling SLOW I don't have the time to build and test decks. It would take FOREVER. 

As for the cards themselves, from a design perspective I can tell they are:
    - Fun to design and program. I get how as a developer I could get excited over "oh, look, what a cool interaction I'm making here... we're building new innovative cards".
    - Boring and paradoxically unnecessarily complicated cards. I read all that text, look how complicated or dependent on what the opponent does and then I just don't care. Let's look at those in details:
    • More creatures than your opponent > really? Who cares?! This isn't paper magic anyway and we're talking about a very low limit anyway (at most 2 if you print this on a creature). Meh.
    • Constellation - fun in paper magic, boring in MTGPQ. I have yet to see a Constellation card worth playing. Not to mention all those damage values copied from paper magic are still laughably bad. Why are you still doing that? A planeswalker has 130 life and I should be excited over a 2 life drain effect on casting an enchantment? Lol...
    • Exile the first Aura card from your opponent's graveyard - who cares?! 
    • Draining mana from hand - haven't you already learned that's a mechanic to be taken in small quantities, not all over the place? 95% of those cards I don't even bother reading their "drain" effect.
    • More graveyard gems - which is a parasitic mechanic, so again, long term, who cares? I have yet to find any of the escape cards be any useful.
    • Experience made me laugh - another keyword, another complication for minimal added value that you find on a minimal number of cards. Parasitic and boring.
    • The whole From the Vault is so underpowered I couldn't care less about it. Buried Alive is such an exciting card in paper magic yet so downpowered in MTGPQ context. Cabal Patriarch requires you to KILL your creatures to give an opposing creature -4/-4... really?!. Cephalid Emperor cares about Cephalids, which are a dead creature type... parasitic. The whole Threshold mechanic is terrible, I couldn't have cared less about MORE Threshold cards. What's so great about Chlorophant to be a mythic? Cognivore does not get pumped for each reinforcement so it's at most a 8/8 that gets +3/+3 for each reinforcement. Meh... And I could go on...
    I'm sorry for the harsh feedback but that's the reality coming from a PLAYER's perspective, not a developer's or designer's. Then again I haven't been competitive for many months now (prior to WAR)... Maybe competitive players feel differently. I know new sets have been the only exciting thing for me now in MTGPQ and even that is not the case for these new released items... sorry.

• JamesGam
    JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I skimmed; but, I am pretty sure I feel the same way and agree with about 99% of everything here. 

I am tired. I used to write long, extensive comments but I am exhausted from the disappointment of the game and this forum. In fact, I started writing a long post but deleted it and wrote this because what does it matter? Who cares? 

Oktagon, you guys did try. And there are some great changes that were made but everything took too long (bugs), everything was filled with drama (player lvls, VIP, rewards nerf to both of these), everything was left unanswered for too long. 

And now, you've nerfed all the sets so that building a great deck is 1 in a million. Now we only have mediocre decks to play with. I mean there are some still some strong cards per set and some OP cards; but, far fewer than before. And they feel more like stand-alone OP cards as opposed to synergistic. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tilwin90 said:
    I have yet to see a Constellation card worth playing.
    Nathalzar has said that the exclusive Eidelon is one of the best cards in the set

• Feiticiera
    Feiticiera Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Protean Thaumaturge is an amazing constellation card. You can buff him to match the toughest creature on the board each constellation for 7 casting cost.