Challenge of the Courts - Unlock all Nodes

Options
Feiticiera
Feiticiera Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
Can we please have all nodes of CotC unlocked from the get go?  Losing your first match for whatever reason locks you out of the event for hours, I would rather be able to keep playing your game despite the loss instead of diverting my attention elsewhere while I wait for the node to refresh.

I tried searching the forum for this same request before posting, apologies if this has already come up before. 

Comments

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2020
    Options
    This has been requested since the event was first launched, and it was a good idea then and it's a good idea now. It's absolutely ridiculous to make the first four battles so much absurdly more important than later battles and it's especially ridiculous to punish people for not being able to start the event immediately. It'd be a pretty great event if it weren't for that one utterly hare-brained design choice.
  • Vangor
    Vangor Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Personally I think that the requirement to unlock each node is a good idea. It rewards the players who stay on top of the events by giving them a leg up on the procrastinators.

• Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like the idea of unlocking nodes.  I HATE the idea of punishing folks for not being on the app the moment the event starts.  I'm not sure how to fix the latter without changing the former, though. 
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like the idea of unlocking nodes.  I HATE the idea of punishing folks for not being on the app the moment the event starts.  I'm not sure how to fix the latter without changing the former, though. 
    I mean, theoretically it seems like they could just make it so that the other nodes start gaining charges when the event starts, just like the 1st node, and you simply can't use those charges until you unlock the node.
  • Vangor
    Options
    In CotC you have 8 hours after the event starts. 8 hours is hardly "the moment the event starts" Don't be disingenuous, its unbecoming.
  • Nyarlathotep
    Nyarlathotep Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Vangor said:
    In CotC you have 8 hours after the event starts. 8 hours is hardly "the moment the event starts" Don't be disingenuous, its unbecoming.
    That does not have anything to do with anything.
    The point still stands. 
    You play node one, first match for the event. You try and go for both objectives. So you have a limited powerlevel for the deck. 
    But you get matched up versus a well crafted combo heavy deck with way higher powerlevel / rarity cards.
    Or greg get's a lucky cascade into 6 cards and just overruns you. 
    Now you have to wait multiple hours to try again. 

And rng is a little devil sometimes, because your next opponent can easily be another mythic / mp heavy combo deck. 

It has happened to me before. 
  • Vangor
    Options
    @Nyarlathotep so you're saying that there should be no penalty for losing a match fair and square? 
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Vangor this format penalises you HARD if you lose any of the first 3 battles as you not only lose that fight but also the unlocking of the subsequent nodes. So lose the first fight you can’t unlock 2-4 until you win the next first node battle. That is a severe penalty. The fact that the rare or lower objective is also the first fight further increases the risk. 
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This will not be an issue next week
  • Vangor
    Options
    Look, @Avahad if the loss is due to a game crash (as happened to me on node one in the most recent and node 3 in the previous one) I get it and I agree. However, if it's a fair and square loss, the solution is simple. Don't lose.
  • Michael_WC
    Michael_WC Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    @Vangor If you are going in with a Peasant deck and you are matched against a Mythic/MP heavy deck and lose then our definition of "fair and square" are on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum.
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @Vangor a lose fair and square is fair enough if it costs you ONE match- in this event it can cost you up to FOUR matches if it comes in the first round of matches 
  • Vangor
    Options
    @Michael_WC it's a risk you take. As do I and anyone else trying to top the leaderboard.

@Avahad but that's the nature of the event though, isn't it? The leaderboard for these events are so competitive that a loss in any round will keep you from the top spot. If you arent trying for the top spot then it doesn't matter anyway since you can get all the progression rewards by fighting only half the battles
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vangor said:
    The game is global, so some people are asleep for most of those 8 hours. It’s a very punitive setup that CotC has going on right now. Not only do you need to bring your A game, some people have to start and end the event when they should be asleep. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just don't get why this is still an issue.  We had the EXACT same problem with Rising Tensions and it was resolved pretty quickly.  Don't get why this event is any different
  • thesmallesthuman
    thesmallesthuman Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    For whatever it’s worth: this event is one that actually can potentially highly reward you for *waiting* to join, thanks to its small brackets. 

Those who join early enough that there’s only one charge available in the first node take the biggest risk. Take a loss, wait 8 hours to try again while everyone else gets ahead of you on the rest of the nodes. If you wait until another charge has built up, you have two chances to unlock the first node and so on, and your odds of being in a bracket of players with the same number of charges are high. 

Can you still get screwed by the timing? Sure. Is it a strange and silly way to set up the charges, that they have already addressed and rectified in other events? Yup.   Do I wish the charges would build up on the last 3 nodes as well? Eh. Maybe. Depends on how much time I have available :P

In the end, considering the highest rewards leave you zero margin for error anyway, a loss is a loss and my favorite way of dealing with the silliness is to give myself more room to breathe charge-wise. 

(And yes, I am posting this publicly in the hopes that more people will wait with me to join until the event is at least halfway over, therefore creating a higher number of last minute bracket flips and giving us all better odds of going up against players with equal number of charges available 😜)
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For whatever it’s worth: this event is one that actually can potentially highly reward you for *waiting* to join, thanks to its small brackets.
    This is a good point. I joined on the halfway through the last day last time, squeezed in all but one charge, and finished in 3rd place. It wasn't an enjoyable experience cramming in so many charges at once, but it was an alternative option to getting some nice rewards.