OKTAGON Q&A Session - February 2020 *UPDATE (03/04/20)
UPDATE*Thank you all for your comments and feedback here. A special shoutout goes to @Volrak who even posted a detailed list with cards. This shows us how dedicated and serious this community is.
Adding Defender to several cards was inherent to the change to Vigilance. Therefore the Game Design team had already included this change but we are going to announce which cards will receive Defender in the next Pre-Release Notes, later this month.
We are also opening the Q&A Session Question Form for this month today. Access the link in the Q&A March Session HERE.
Q&A Session1. Would it be possible to include pauper as a format in the future? Or have every event with pauper deck restrictions once in a while? Just to spice things up + it's new player friendly.
Answer: A lot of the team members here at Oktagon are long and vivid Magic the Gathering players and Pauper would fit well in Magic: Puzzle Quest, too. Sorry about not being more specific about how and when, but we have indeed plans for this format.
2. Have you considered moving the matches to be server side vs. user side. Similar to Puzzles and Dragons and other games where even if your game crashes the match state is saved because it occurs server side and once you reconnect your match is at the same point. This would get around the frustrations of many players that are driven by the game crashing mid-round.
Answer: Yes, we have. Unfortunately, the current implementation prevents us from doing this without a huge rework. However, we are planning to change how the event charges are handled in the backend in order to prevent any losses when a match is not ended as expected or when a crash happens.
3. Why are things that are confirmed to be "as designed" by Oktagon or D3 being changed without notice (in patch notes or otherwise) and then much later after bug reports are filed said to be "as designed" with the new programming?
Answer: We admit that there have been cases like this before, and even with the QA Testing phase during development, we still rely on player reports after the release. We apologize for stretching all your patience and thank you for being such a serious and dedicated player community. We are constantly working on improving the information flow and to not only get everything new in the Release Notes but also to update the Patch and Release Notes with the fixed and adjusted items.
4. I would like to express my appreciation for how you handled the Vigilance ability on the following cards from Throne of Eldraine:
1. Questing Beast
2. Realm-Cloaked Giant
3. Faeburrow Elder
4. Linden, the Steadfast Queen
I think this should be the standard for how the Vigilance ability is translated over from paper into Puzzle Quest. In paper magic, you only want to block with things under two circumstances: a) you know your blocker will survive; and b) you are desperate to prevent taking direct damage. The way this version of the Vigilance ability has been applied to these cards is a pretty close approximation to how it works in paper, because it provides the player with the opportunity to keep their creatures in play for maybe a turn or two longer than before. I say bravo to this decision. I also hope this can be applied to every creature that has Vigilance in the game.
Answer: These 4 cards were designed with the intent of playtesting an alternative version of Vigilance. Many cards with a different design serve this purpose: to playtest new mechanics, alternative versions of existing abilities, etc. Then, depending on player feedback, we may implement it as a permanent change or utilize the mechanic in later sets/releases.
After somes tests done with cards from Throne of Eldraine, Vigilance changed to better represent the ability and to give more value to the creatures that have the ability. Allowing them to survive against deadly attacks, when blocking.
The current Vigilance hint reads:
Take a look how these 4 cards will be changed on 4.1 version:
5. Why won't you give us all charges at the beginning of an event so people can play when they have free time?
Answer: We have plans to make events with different formats and charges, including this option.
6. Do you ever plan to put WAR vanguards (rare and mythic) back in the WAR booster pack where they belong to?
Answer: There are no plans for Vanguard Cards to enter the regular Boosters at the moment. Neither WAR nor any other collection.
7. Are there any plans to make the Exclusive Vanguard cards from War of the Spark craftable?
Answer: There are no plans for Booster Crafting to include Vanguard Cards.