AI frustration

AZRAEL5
AZRAEL5 Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
edited February 2020 in MPQ General Discussion

impossible to play, the AI ​​always has better plays, the countdown, the protection or any special tile are eliminated quickly, while those of the AI ​​do not.

I understand that the game must have a level of difficulty, but there are moves that are absurd..😩

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Confirmation bias?

• Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler

Wait until you champ a 5* to 460 and become prey for lvl 550 players, that is real hell.

• qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards

In the Smash Hit event I did not bother to check out what TU the enemy side has. I found out the hard way it was a Penance Stare that downed my 5* Prof. X. Nice touch (not).

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020

I fought a Gritty team + Medusa, got shot of Kitty and Medusa reasonably well but Kitty got in a few boosts leaving an underpowered R4G. However I couldn't get to the remaining strikes and his next 3 turns were basically 1 minute long cascades that somehow wiped out all my BRB shields (thus not giving me the benefit of their protection) but left his buffed strikes in place and I lost the fight - the odds would have been very long for this result as BRB was sitting on 20K health, Thor was around 13k health and R4G was down below 6k but...it happened. R4G was left with 435 health on the turn his never ending cascade killed my Horsey Guy.

MPQ gonna MPQ...

• qandols

I hate those cascades...

• qandols

I can understand the frustration of the OP. I'm currently playing The Hunt (SCL 9) and thought I would relieve some boredom using someone else than GrittyPX and lined up (all champed) Iron man, Captain Marvel and DocOck. Only to have theme pummeled, cascaded and hit by cheap stupid DA powers each bloody move. So much time and energy laid down on this game and you are nearly forced to always use the same warriors over and over </rant>

• DAZ0273

The other one that gets me is enemy team-ups. Obviously I can't say this as 100% but watching the AI it rarely ever makes a deliberate move to chase team-up tiles. But you know what? They will fire their team-up EVERY match guaranteed! How do they do it? Do they have a secret stash of team-up tiles with them? I really would love to know this magic trick!

• argle_bargle
    argle_bargle Posts: 88 Match Maker

DAZ0273, that's weird because in my experience, they seem to prioritize TUs so they can fire their team-up as soon as possible.

Sometimes they seem to prioritize the color I just matched, seemingly denying me AP. Other times, they go off and do something else...

At least we can always count on them to go for a Match-4.

• DAZ0273

Theoretically the AI shouldn't do that - Justin of Demiurge wrote this really cool article about how the AI functions and here is a quote from it:

This scoring system means that the criteria for selecting a swap are:

That’s it. That’s all the logic. The first rule takes precedence over the second: the computer will always take a match‑4 over a match‑3. If there are two match‑4s available, the computer will prefer the one that will charge its abilities. If there are multiple best swaps, it will randomly choose one. Sometimes the match-4 also results in a match‑5, but the computer doesn’t “see” the match-5.

1. Number of matched tiles in a straight line, up to 4

Does the match charge an ability on the computer’s team?

The computer does not try to screw up your turn by dropping bad tiles either. Each new tile is selected at random, individually, without any feedback from the swap‑selection code. I did learn that Team-Up tiles drop with a slightly lower rate than color tiles. Each color is weighted with a value of 1.0, while Team‑Up tiles are weighted with 0.75. That means there’s about an 11% chance that a new tile will be a Team‑Up, and about a 15% chance for each of the colors.

Based upon that there should be less team-up tiles for the AI to pursue and so it should not really go after them unless there is a Match 4 available. I suppose it is possible that the AI chooses to brinbg along low value team-ups on defence or in opposition? So it might be a function that chasing team-up tiles does comply with the above. I don't think it has ever been clarified how the AI chooses a team-up to bring.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards

While i totally understand what @DAZ0273 is saying...

I can relate to @argle_bargle so much more!

Yeah, match 4s are first, but then they go for certain colors, and i see them chase team ups sometimes!

But its okay. I accept their "luck" whenever i get some of my own.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020

The luck happens on both sides, but it can be.... trying.... when you face a Prof X + JJ team that somehow someway manages to trip traps on match-4's EVERY SINGLE TURN.

Sometimes I throw that team out there in PvP just for giggles. It gets beat a lot, because it isn't a stun lock team, but it also wins A LOT. And you just know the other player threw their phone.

• DAZ0273

It has me thinking now - does low cost to fire factor in the choice of team-up? So maybe the AI does chase team-ups and I am just not realising it.

Whatever is happening that AI fires that team-up practically every time!

• DAZ0273

It has been said elsewhere that 5* Xavier seems to get more match 4's than you would expext on average and I have to say there does seem to be some truth to this in my experience - it makes me wonder if there is something in his code that affects this although it would seem quite a hard thing to achieve in isolation.

Probably confirmation bias but definitely some smoke...

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020

Why is it that there almost never any match 5's on the board, but every single time I have to play against Teen Jean the board starts with at least one match 5 available if not 2 or 3 and  a match 3 will lead to an epic amount of match 5 cascades that you never get when you actually want them?

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards

The worst is when you don't realize the AI has a black Loki TU and you're using Kitty or Grocket... ugh...

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor

I use Black Suit Spider-Man against Gritty teams, if the TU is a stun, it can get ugly.

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor

I used to think there was nothing behind it, but the “trend” I’ve noticed lately: allegedly the AI does not "see" match-5s, only match-4s & 3s, yet the computer routinely gets many more match-5s and crits than I do.

I also noticed the computer seems to now prioritize matching away my special tiles, even if they are not in one of the AI's strongest colors.

But maybe I'm just paranoid.

Still, even if you're paranoid, that doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you...

• Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler

I roll my eyes when I see the AI make a seemingly harmless match in a color they don't have, only because it knows that the tiles that will drop will result in a cascade or match-4.

It's not anywhere as bad as losses due to Profe$$or X churning out match-4's, but it's the one thing that I've experienced even since I was a youngling OBW/Ares user.

• Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Vins2 said:

I roll my eyes when I see the AI make a seemingly harmless match in a color they don't have, only because it knows that the tiles that will drop will result in a cascade or match-4.

One thing I've noticed kind of related to this is when the game shows you a possible match after a few seconds of inactivity, if you make that match, it usually sets them up for a much better move on their turn.  

More confirmation bias?  Eh, perhaps.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mayo said:

Wait until you champ a 5* to 460 and become prey for lvl 550 players, that is real hell.

I had gambit over 460 when he was released and loved beating 550 players. Short lived though and he’s just sitting there unused