MPQ with iOS support for old versions

MPQ team, can you create a “light” version of MPQ without the animations that will be possible to run longer on old iOS machines? Let’s be honest, you have the skills to make it happen.

How many players run on old platforms?

10%, 20% or 50%. Did you have that data consideration?

I am seriously surprised 😮 by your message that I will be throwing away three IPADS and replacing them with new ones for my family to keep playing MPQ. See other post.

Tagged:

Comments

• 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler

Upcoming iOS 8 and 9 Incompatibility (2/20/20)

LakeStone20 Feb 2020

Hi Everyone - 

We wanted to provide advance notice that sometime shortly after March 15, 2020, Marvel Puzzle Quest will no longer be compatible with Apple devices using iOS 9 or earlier. The minimum spec the game will support will be iOS 10 at that time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you!

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor

111MCH111 said:

How many players run on old platforms?

10%, 20% or 50%. Did you have that data consideration?

According to the Poll in the other sub-forum (at the time of this post)... 0%. 0% run an OS that is over 8 years old.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

I suspect the problem is that they don't want to build (and test) multiple versions of the game each release.

The same thing happened with support for 32-bit Android devices. Google provides the tools to let developers to package up binaries for multiple architectures in their app, and to automatically slim down the package sent to a user's device by only including binaries it can use. Despite this, Demiurge cut their 32-bit customers loose.

Presumably there is some feature they can use by setting the baseline to iOS 10, and they feel it is more important than the pain caused to the small number of customers on the old devices.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are 21 total staff members on this game (according to the credits) not counting the writers who at most are called in once every few months when a new PVE is produced.

I think they simply don't have the staff to support different builds etc.

Also given what seems to be a very small subset of players using these old devices, I can easily see why they would choose to go this route and move away from supporting them.
  • 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:

I think they simply don't have the staff to support different builds etc.

Also given what seems to be a very small subset of players using these old devices, I can easily see why they would choose to go this route and move away from supporting them.
    Hi Bluewolf. Thank you for your answer. Currently I have replaced the oldest two iPads with two iPad 2018.  The iPad generation is next on the wish list. Thank you all for comments and insight. I consider the Topic closed. Let’s focus on matching tiles 😎