Prof X, Mr. Sinister, or ?

heybub
heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
I am a 4* player looking to move to 5* land.  I mostly play PVE, but would like to do some more PVP (if possible).  I have been hoarding for quite some time and decided to unload my CP for BRB in the last vault.  I did not fully cover him, and will use my LTs to do so.  I have 271 LTs which should net me ~4covers for each color for each 5*.  I don't plan on champing any of my 5*soon and probably keep them ~330 to prevent scaling.

My 5*s (of note):
BRB 1/2/5
Thor 5/5/3 
Hela 2/5/5

Questions for the forum:
1) Should I pull with Prof X, go for Mr. Sinister, or wait for mystery guest.  Mr. Sinister looks meh, but I don't feel Prof X is that great.  Mystery guest seems like a bad bet given the string of poor 5*s.
2) Do Prof X or Sinister have any synergy with BRB/Thor/Hela (or Carnage since I would pull with him too)
3) People seem high on Prof X, but I don't get it.  What's his appeal?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    His Signal boost can be absolutely lethal. I like him a lot but mine is only 4/2/1 so I haven't experienced his full potential.

Sinister looks overly complicated to me and traps tiles are a mixed bag but he could be annoying to fight against.

I am sitting on a bunch of CP and am seriously considering pulling before Prof leaves but I am going to wait to hear a bit of feedback on Sinister first from early adopters - sometimes the forum can be waaaaaaay wrong on new relaeses before anybody play tests.
  • heybub
    So Prof X is all about making 4/5 matches then?  Who does he pair well with?  SW, 3* IF, Nightcrawler, basically guys that flood the board with a specific color so maximize the chance of a big match?  How does his purple work when he chooses Jubilee, are there a lot of cascades and big matches?

Mr. Sinister looks like he might be ok in PVE, but all those trap tiles are hit or miss.  Also trying to keep track of them will be a pain since they have different effects.  I agree that it is hard to judge a character on paper, especially one with unique effects and it really may come down to who to pair him with.  

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    In addition to those you mentioned Domino and C&D are useful partners too.

I've even teamed him with 3* Hulk and Hulk Bombed some Gritty or Grocket/Guardian teams.

KGB
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love Professor X. His purple is versatile, he can tank amazingly (especially on an all X-Men team), and Signal Boost can get out of control really fast, especially with some board shake from whatever source. And yeah, you can get some great cascades from using his purple to call Jubilee.
    MEHulk and Chavez work nicely with him too, tho Hulk competes for purple use.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Professor. Professor. Professor. He’s so good. 

Read just my section on Xavier if you want my thorough breakdown on him (though it’s geared more for 5* players than transitioners). He’s not one I’d suggest anyone pass on. 

(By the way. I’m creating a guide like this for the ENTIRE 5* tier. I think I may be insane or way too obsessed with MPQ, as each entry is lengthy; but yeah... I’m already halfway done lol). 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor

(By the way. I’m creating a guide like this for the ENTIRE 5* tier. I think I may be insane or way too obsessed with MPQ, as each entry is lengthy; but yeah... I’m already halfway done lol). 

Can't wait to see it DD!
  • heybub
    helix72 said:

Can't wait to see it DD!
    Hell yeah.  Sounds awesome.
  • heybub
    Thanks for all the advice.  It seems pretty unanimous that Prof X is the way to go.

I will pull and let you know how it turns out!

• heybub
    I unloaded my LT hoard, 272 pulls.  I finished BRB, max covered Carnage, and got Prof X to 5/5/2 with a little help (converted my extra 5 purple pulls and got a blue from 4* champ rewards).  I also max covered a few 4*s.  My bonus heores were Shuri and Okoye, so now I have 1 cover of Okoye.  In hindsight, might have been a better idea to BH Prof X for that 3rd black.  I lvld my max 5*s to 300 for now.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    heybub said:
    I unloaded my LT hoard, 272 pulls.  I finished BRB, max covered Carnage, and got Prof X to 5/5/2 with a little help (converted my extra 5 purple pulls and got a blue from 4* champ rewards).  I also max covered a few 4*s.  My bonus heores were Shuri and Okoye, so now I have 1 cover of Okoye.  In hindsight, might have been a better idea to BH Prof X for that 3rd black.  I lvld my max 5*s to 300 for now.

Thanks for all the advice!

That is some pretty nice results, BRB seems like he will be a real pain going forward also, so enjoy!
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    heybub said:
    helix72 said:

Can't wait to see it DD!
    Hell yeah.  Sounds awesome.

Done!

• heybub
    Been playing for a few days after the hoard dump, and overall I'm pretty happy.  I had been saving up for nearly 2 years, and I didn't get the 3 5* meta characters to dominate PVP, but these new characters have injected some life into the game for me, and I can actually play PVP.  I've hit the 4* reward the last three events, which was pretty much undoable before.  I have some completed 5* characters which never would have happened it I just opened LTs as I went.

FYI, BRB/Knull/Medusa is a pretty solid team with good defense.

Thanks everyone for all the advice over the last year or so.  I think it really paid off.
  • Soaresx4
    Soaresx4 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    heybub said:
    I am a 4* player looking to move to 5* land.  I mostly play PVE, but would like to do some more PVP (if possible).  I have been hoarding for quite some time and decided to unload my CP for BRB in the last vault.  I did not fully cover him, and will use my LTs to do so.  I have 271 LTs which should net me ~4covers for each color for each 5*.  I don't plan on champing any of my 5*soon and probably keep them ~330 to prevent scaling.

My 5*s (of note):
    BRB 1/2/5
    Thor 5/5/3 
    Hela 2/5/5

Questions for the forum:
    1) Should I pull with Prof X, go for Mr. Sinister, or wait for mystery guest.  Mr. Sinister looks meh, but I don't feel Prof X is that great.  Mystery guest seems like a bad bet given the string of poor 5*s.
    2) Do Prof X or Sinister have any synergy with BRB/Thor/Hela (or Carnage since I would pull with him too)
    3) People seem high on Prof X, but I don't get it.  What's his appeal?

Thanks in advance.