What is going on with all these Okoye offers?!?!?

Options
2»

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Most dev decisions that seem foolish to us, are so because they don't benefit us.

On the other hand the number of pure "Screw the players" moves are not that frequent.  Yes, Sharpocalypse part 1 was a horrible plan on their part.

But to sell people shards/covers for Okoye then nerf them would be an absolute statement of "DO NOT TRUST US.  We will cheat you at our leisure."

If they do it, hey, they deserve the utter failure they would bring upon themselves.

But I am 100% certain they won't.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tempting, but I'll pass. I definitely have the HP to spare, but 250 shards aren't enough to get me a cover (currently at 100/500). 5 more Shuri levels would get me there, but I'm not shargetting her right now, so that won't be any time soon.

With no 5* champs (or even fully covered), my 4/2/2 Okoye doesn't feel like one more cover is going to do a lot now anyway. Honestly, I don't even know what color I'd pick - another Yellow, I guess.

Sabretooth - champed
    Wolfsbane - well on her way to being champable (10 covers, with more coming from PvE soon)

Think of it in another way. 

Okoye is probably the best single 5* champ.  You have 8 covers already, and this would add some shards, which you don't need to convert to a cover straight away.  So this effectively brings the championing threshold down to 12 covers + 500 shards, making it less likely you would be stuck with a bad distribution.

I eventually covered Thor from classics, and Okoye is my current project.  I have 2/0/2, but just under 1,000 shards from targeting and the previous vault, and now I will be adding these.  So I am basically halfway, and I'll get there eventually, and it will change my game.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I had wolfsbane at 350 shards and 8 covers anyway so this was a no-brainier for me. She gets to 209 and is shield training ready, if she ever comes around, the rest is gravy. The price was comparable to a 4* HfH but the rewards are better (for me, at least). 

If I had to guess I would think this is part of the process of working out the right price point for shard sales. We’ve seen some real money bundles for meta and non-meta 5*s. We’re now seeing the in-game currency deals in the same vein. 

Joke’s on them coz I bought it for the 4* shards. 🤣
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm guessing they did it because Okoye is awesome.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok, i got those last 10 shuri shards I needed to get her to 13 covers; now if this "nerf" can wait just a bit longer while i grind up 35k iso to finish champing her....
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    Incoming nerf confirmed! 😉
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    MegaBee said:
    Incoming nerf confirmed! 😉

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    abenness said:
    Tempting, but I'll pass. I definitely have the HP to spare, but 250 shards aren't enough to get me a cover (currently at 100/500). 5 more Shuri levels would get me there, but I'm not shargetting her right now, so that won't be any time soon.

With no 5* champs (or even fully covered), my 4/2/2 Okoye doesn't feel like one more cover is going to do a lot now anyway. Honestly, I don't even know what color I'd pick - another Yellow, I guess.

Sabretooth - champed
    Wolfsbane - well on her way to being champable (10 covers, with more coming from PvE soon)

Think of it in another way. 

Okoye is probably the best single 5* champ.  You have 8 covers already, and this would add some shards, which you don't need to convert to a cover straight away.  So this effectively brings the championing threshold down to 12 covers + 500 shards, making it less likely you would be stuck with a bad distribution.

I eventually covered Thor from classics, and Okoye is my current project.  I have 2/0/2, but just under 1,000 shards from targeting and the previous vault, and now I will be adding these.  So I am basically halfway, and I'll get there eventually, and it will change my game.
    You talked me into it.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    abenness said:

Okoye is probably the best single 5* champ. 

Oh, my sides! I'm laughing, so hard!

In whatever the event was that was one character only, my 550 Okoye was nothing to all the 450 PX's, as well as a bunch of other 5*'s.

450 Kitty and the 4* stunners take it out all the time. I doubt they take on 550 JJ or PX or Strange or Kitty like that.

The Okoye nerf talk in this thread has had me laughing for days as well. I actively look for Okoye teams to beat in PVP - they are one of the easiest 5*'s to beat. I think it's great design actually: it is a support character that makes your other characters (including non-5*'s!) better and therefore is good on offense, but it's laughable on defense.

If I was going for one 5* to move into 5* land, it would be Kitty for sure. If I was going to go for two based on the meta I see, it wouldn't be Thorkoye - it would be PX + something or BRB/Kitty (so Kitty is still a good place to start!)

I wish PX/Kitty/BRB/Ice/JJ/Thor/DD were half as easy to beat as any Okoye team is.

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just got around to reading to the end of this. 

If they nerf Okoye after the introduction of the challenge nodes in CL10, they WILL kill the game. We need every tool in the box available to us to make it through those nodes and a nerfed Okoye will severely hamper the ability to do that, so much so that you would likely see a big exodus of high end/vet players. 

Sidenote: Original flavor Gambit and OML might be helpful for those nodes...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I figured it was just another step in draining HP from the game economy. Reduce HP rewards while providing good incentive to spend HP hopefully gets people buying more HP.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    SnowcaTT said:
    abenness said:

Okoye is probably the best single 5* champ. 

Oh, my sides! I'm laughing, so hard!

In whatever the event was that was one character only, my 550 Okoye was nothing to all the 450 PX's, as well as a bunch of other 5*'s.

450 Kitty and the 4* stunners take it out all the time. I doubt they take on 550 JJ or PX or Strange or Kitty like that.

The Okoye nerf talk in this thread has had me laughing for days as well. I actively look for Okoye teams to beat in PVP - they are one of the easiest 5*'s to beat. I think it's great design actually: it is a support character that makes your other characters (including non-5*'s!) better and therefore is good on offense, but it's laughable on defense.

If I was going for one 5* to move into 5* land, it would be Kitty for sure. If I was going to go for two based on the meta I see, it wouldn't be Thorkoye - it would be PX + something or BRB/Kitty (so Kitty is still a good place to start!)

I wish PX/Kitty/BRB/Ice/JJ/Thor/DD were half as easy to beat as any Okoye team is.

Missed this reply earlier.

I'm not saying she is the best as a team of 1, or the best 5* out there for someone who has lots to choose from.  I'm saying she is the best starting point for moving into single-5* mmr.  Part of the reason there is the large number of 4* (and 3*) she can work with.

Kitty is obviously the other choice, but your pick-2 team would be Gritty 99% of the time.  I lean towards Okoye because you can run a variety of teams, and adjust depending on who you are facing or who is boosted.

I use Gritty extensively, and my climb is impacted by availability of health packs.  Having a true heal like Doom or Okoye or Daredevil would be very welcome.