What is going on with all these Okoye offers?!?!?

DAZ0273
DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
New HFH deal for a bunch of Shards for her, Sabretooth and Wolfsbane + some 3 star Mighty tokens. 3750 HP.

Are they justt milking the meta or should you Thorkoye guys be worried they have something planned?!?!?

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    shes getting nerfed
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    That would suck, i would think.  I dont even use her (i main kitty), and i think thats harsh.

Not because shes meta, but because you're selling a product thats gonna change...?   Not good business, imo.

So...  I would think that they arent gonna change her, because i cant see them consciously making the decision to sell a ton of her before making big changes.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    250 Okoye Shards
    450 Wolfsbane Shards
    450 Sabretooth Shards
    3 Mighty Tokens
    All for 3750HP

A typical 4* HfH goes for 3600HP with the following:
    1 4* cover (fixed colour)
    10,000 iso-8
    3 CP
    8 Elite Tokens

I thought this Ready to Strike HfH is quite a good deal.

What's with the focus on Okoye?

She was released on May 2018. I tried searching for special days surrounding her but those days are still far away.

Weird indeed. Every offer (non-cash bundles) surrounding her is cheap as well. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Those 250 Okoye shards would net me a cover but I am genuinely looking at this with some squinted eyes - the extra cover won't impact my 3/1/2 Okoye too much but this is all a bit weird around all these character rebalance questions...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is all market research.  They are using a good 5* to set a baseline for "X offer will generate Y revenue if the 5* is desirable." They aren't dumb enough to think that Wa5p will generate as much interest as Thor/okoye/kitty.
  • Jexy
    Jexy Posts: 52 Match Maker
    just champed her---I had terrible rng when she was released and now however many years later I have her. 5thor too high already to make that combo work optimally but I think she's good for more than just that.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jexy said:
    just champed her---I had terrible rng when she was released and now however many years later I have her. 5thor too high already to make that combo work optimally but I think she's good for more than just that.
    It's fine if Thor tanks red.  There is no problem running thorkoye unless he tanks red and yellow (or blue/purple).
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Tempting, but I'll pass. I definitely have the HP to spare, but 250 shards aren't enough to get me a cover (currently at 100/500). 5 more Shuri levels would get me there, but I'm not shargetting her right now, so that won't be any time soon.

With no 5* champs (or even fully covered), my 4/2/2 Okoye doesn't feel like one more cover is going to do a lot now anyway. Honestly, I don't even know what color I'd pick - another Yellow, I guess.

Sabretooth - champed
    Wolfsbane - well on her way to being champable (10 covers, with more coming from PvE soon)

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    KGB said:
    I think they are trying to get more 4* players to make the 5* jump. Most 4* players know they can't make that jump without at least 1 meta character (Okoye/Thor/Kitty) so this is a push to make her readily available for those of us who missed her when she was first released.

The lack of similar offers for Kitty/Thor might lead one to suspect that it's they who will get nerfed in some upcoming massive rebalance that lifts up the weakest and brings down the over powered (exploited) 4 and 5*s.

KGB
    I don't know if they want players to make the 5 jump or not exactly, but it's a good point that offering the best 5's to jump or transition is better for keeping interest vs - in the absence of offers/stores - the alternative for a new player which is basically:

1.  Build your 2s and 3s
    2.  Target the meta 4's and champ them
    3.  Save a ton of CP for a store that has the meta 5's (or at least some of them) which will take many months of hoarding.

The previously available option - build the entire 4 tier and champ them and build them, allowing you to chase 5's - that's not really viable anymore for new people since there are 90 4s.  You'll end up with some champ 4's and a metric ton of saved covers due to your massive iso debt.

The devs obviously need to find better deals to keep people to keep opening their wallets.  Making more money year over year is built into their business plan.

I wouldn't read that there will be any nerfs.  (Recall that about a month ago we had a number of Kitty stores and offers.)

Okoye and Kitty are simply the two best 5's to have, even at low covers, as you work on your lower tier characters and pair well with higher tier characters, obviously.

The game is too diluted to nerf meta 5's anymore.  IMO we are in a period of them capitalizing on existing characters until....well until that stops working or whatever.  They will not radically increase rewards so they need to lean into making the best characters easier to get, so people can feel like they are making roster progress and keep playing.

All of this will lead to less and less variety of teams in PVP.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't oppose these offers, I grabbed this one and got two 10 packs on her vault, but if they really want people to target the more meta 5s to jump to 5* land then they need to find a solution to 5* dilution. Because it's really soul draining when you try and save up cp in the hopes that the 5* that you want more covers for, finally gets a store, and then you pull almost nothing but 4s or covers for the other 5* characters. I'd still like to see a streak breaker for 5s that could give out a decent chunk of 5* shards for every ten 4* covers that you pull.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Nerf incoming. They are gonna change her passive to only work with actively fired abilities and not passive abilities. So using her and thanos with medusa to fast clear PVE nodes is going to go away as that is a huge issue that needs to be addressed????? SMH
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nerf incoming. They are gonna change her passive to only work with actively fired abilities and not passive abilities. So using her and thanos with medusa to fast clear PVE nodes is going to go away as that is a huge issue that needs to be addressed????? SMH
    How to kill your game 101:  Nerf the meta character(s) you just sold to players in vaults and bundles.

It was one thing to nerf Gambit or OML when the only people who spent were going into buy clubs or blowing money on Starks and using the CP to pull pull pull.

It's completely different to democratize the deals by making the covers actually attainable for less than several hundred dollars, so you are opening up the potential audience many times over.  And at that point you think the devs think it's a good idea, after making a much-desired character suddenly more attainable, to nerf them? So you radically increase the number of players you are screwing over?  When your game is only sustaining the number of players month after month (not growing)?

Do you really think the devs are that foolish?
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    How to kill your game 101:  Nerf the meta character(s) you just sold to players in vaults and bundles.

It was one thing to nerf Gambit or OML when the only people who spent were going into buy clubs or blowing money on Starks and using the CP to pull pull pull.

It's completely different to democratize the deals by making the covers actually attainable for less than several hundred dollars, so you are opening up the potential audience many times over.  And at that point you think the devs think it's a good idea, after making a much-desired character suddenly more attainable, to nerf them? So you radically increase the number of players you are screwing over?  When your game is only sustaining the number of players month after month (not growing)?

They have made questionable decisions in the past, I wouldn't put it past them. It's not like we have any insight to what they are doing, the results of the character balance feedback, poll results etc. They have had limited communications with us about the overall health of the game, current state, future plans, road-maps etc.

I just won't be surprised if she catches a nerf because of her partnership with Thor in the PVP meta scene. 

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 said:
    shes getting nerfed
    I was coming to say the same.

In all serious though I think they just know how popular she is and they want to test their shard strategy on a character they think people will pay vs one they won't.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    I’m 10 Shuri shards from finishing mine...a nerf would be the pits!
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Sure, they’ll absolutely nerf her while people still haven’t put away their torches and pitchforks after feedergate 😂

seriously, I think they just try to sell bundles with a char that is actually the best char in the whole game and which everyone wants to have as high leveled as possibly
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m 10 Shuri shards from finishing mine...a nerf would be the pits!
    It reminds me of when I was a new player. All everyone talked about was OML and how awesome he was. Then one day I spent some cp and got his yellow cover. I was so happy. Then like less than two weeks later they nerfed him. It's part of the reason why I stay in 4* land because I fear that I would champ Kitty and then they would nerf the hell out of her and make her pretty useless but I would still be stuck with 5* MMR in pvp.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    DAZ0273 said:
    New HFH deal for a bunch of Shards for her, Sabretooth and Wolfsbane + some 3 star Mighty tokens. 3750 HP.

Are they justt milking the meta or should you Thorkoye guys be worried they have something planned?!?!?
    It is just a cash cow. As kitty
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:

They already tried to pull off a similarly malicious move with the first wave of shard rewards.  It took a monumental uniting of the playerbase to get that turned around.  Maybe this time the devs think they could get away with it. 

If they do the same refund method as they did with Gambit, the pool of "victims" (for lack of a better word) will be much bigger, but the potential outrage would be less unified.  There'd be a portion of that playerbase begrudgingly fine with the conversion to other 5* covers.   There'd be a portion who'd argue that players with Gambit/Okoye got their time in the sun with her, and ample warning that she'd be nerfed by a certain date in the future.  If they timed the nerf right, there'd be people mad, but still willing to wait on quitting because anniversary is right around the corner (if they hadn't killed the playerbase's hopes for that already).