Supports and duplicate max champs

Options
Sm0keyJ0e
Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
I've brought this up before, but it's really becoming a problem for me now and I'm starting to see it affect others in my position. I have two level 370 Rocket & Groot's, but only one can have a support equipped to it. The game's dumb design auto-selects the healthiest of equal-leveled toons. It takes me 5-7s every single match to scroll back down my roster looking for the one that has the support equipped that I want to use. Since this character hasn't been assigned 5* covers/shards/rewards yet, I do not want to sell the dupe. In fact, I would gladly spend whatever HP/ISO/CP or whatever to drop him even one level so the game won't auto-select him every time.

In the meantime, I get the right toon auto-selected half the time, and the other half I either use the non-supported toon or I have to scroll past 100 characters trying to find the one I want to use. And by the way, 5-7s each match is an eternity in a game built on speed.

Frustrating experience in PVE to say the least.

Comments

• bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I never actually noticed that -  that seems like a flaw. I've seen with costumes that you can have a different costume applied to  each duplicate or the same costume to both. You'd think it would be able to handle it being applied to all copies of the character.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you tap the info button of a character and then back out of the character screen you should be located at the position of that character in your roster in the character select screen. Not sure if this helps you, could be you already did this, so I'm sorry if I am stating the obvious. And this only works faster if the character is far enough 'away' from your highest level characters I guess.

This is only a work around for the selection bit mentioned, not the no dupe for Supports part that is the main subject of the thread. But I only recently found out this works in some cases with dupes, so I felt it might possibly help a bit.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You can't equip the same support on duplicate characters but there is nothing stopping you from equipping separate supports on the two copies. I have done this with my two copies of 3* Dr. Strange.
    It won't help you with the game auto-selecting a copy to play but at least they can both have some kind of support on them.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Rhipf said:
    You can't equip the same support on duplicate characters but there is nothing stopping you from equipping separate supports on the two copies. I have done this with my two copies of 3* Dr. Strange.
    It won't help you with the game auto-selecting a copy to play but at least they can both have some kind of support on them.
    I believe the issue becomes that you cannot have duplicate supports, so while each R&G can have a support they cannot both be equipped with the same support. Ex The Milano.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Loosie said:
    Rhipf said:
    I believe the issue becomes that you cannot have duplicate supports, so while each R&G can have a support they cannot both be equipped with the same support. Ex The Milano.

Yes, that is the point I was getting at. Since you can't have duplicate supports you would need a different support on each duplicate character.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    this comes back to my pet-peeve- non searchable/filter  roster
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Given how frequently you get dupes, it would be interesting if they had it set up so you could either save a dupe Support or collect riso.  This would create even more places to use riso, which might work to the benefit of an active Support economy.

However, it would require some UI work if you got a Rank up and needed to (theoretically) decide which of several dupe Supports you wanted to rank up.

All that said, I think a major hurdle in terms of Supports is that a lot of players are confused about which ones are good and where to put them, and making more options probably wouldn't help that situation.
  • LLohm
    LLohm Posts: 84 Match Maker
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    The easiest solution here would be to NOT auto-select a toon other than what you put in yourself manually. This is actually an issue throughout the game. There are times I want to use a lower-leveled version of the same character because some (XFDP, for example) become worse for your needs as you level them higher. If I want to use my level 70 XFDP then so be it, let me leave it in there. Stop replacing it with the much higher version and forcing me to skip through 80 pages of toons to find him again after every single match.

It's also prevalent in boss fights. For some dumb reason, whenever Hawkeye is a boss essential, the game always selects my 2* version even though I have a max champed 5* version (and various other higher tier versions).

It's an archaic mechanic that doesn't make sense. Stop overwriting my selection and leave in who I choose. If I want a healthier version I can go select that one myself.
    I absolutely get what you’re saying since I’m experiencing the exact same problem.

However, I’m glad I don’t have to scroll through my roster looking for the next 2* that’s alive for their essential node.

If we can have a nice middle ground where only essential characters get auto selected, it will be the best solution.

For what this is worth, I have 3 maxed champed rocket and 420 roster slots. It’s a lot of scrolling.

edited for spelling
  • peterdark
    peterdark Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'd like to see an icon for supports equipped on the roster screen... although it won't necessarily help with the 7 seconds scrolling through to find rocket
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The thing about supports that really irks me is that I can't see who is attached to each support (unless it happens to be a support that has a specific bonus power for a specific character).  Many of the more generic supports don't have this and I have to filter through my roster and look at each character and what support they have.  There should be an easier way to see who each support is attached to on the main support info page.  I know you can also see who it is attached to by going through the steps of reassigning as it asks to confirm the switch but this is a laborious process as well. 

It does seem to me that they should fix the OP issue as that is a pain and a lot of time loss.  I still think the best way to solve roster selection issues is to have a favorites part of the roster that keep x amount of characters that you typically use that you can quick select, or x team combinations that you typically use etc. 
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was trying to do the same thing yesterday. The existing screens are really poorly set up to see what is equipped to whom. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They want you to have only one max champ and to use healthpacks.

I would not expect a fix on this.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a combo of two distinct problems:

(1) the game has ~200 characters now.  We need MUCH better roster sorting functionality.  Folders, favorites, * tier sorting, etc.  This is years and years overdue.

(2) we can have duplicate characters, but not duplicate supports.  And supports have a lock to prevent too much swapping.  This is dumb.  Either let is move supports around freely, or let use recruit extra copies on lieu of extra red iso.  Hell, you could even probably monetize support slots at the same time to make this work and the community would probably be ok with it.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It would be nice to be able to sell off levels as necessary to combat this issue. Perhaps at some rate that is less than ideal so you are sacrificing enough that you will think carefully about the move to avoid strategic team building such as Thorkoye or the old Winfinite Charlie’s Angels.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Options
    Did they fix this?! My Rocket died completely before my other Rocket went to battle. Usually it rotates between the two.

Anyone else notice this? If so, kudos to the dev team for fixing a long-standing issue exacerbated by supports!
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Did they fix this?! My Rocket died completely before my other Rocket went to battle. Usually it rotates between the two.

Anyone else notice this? If so, kudos to the dev team for fixing a long-standing issue exacerbated by supports!
    @Sm0keyJ0e

When did you observe this?  I was using 3* Deadpool yesterday and it rotated between my two maxed DP, with the one with more health being picked automatically.  
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The open of sub 2 for Webbed Wonder today, slice 2.

Edit: myself and at least one other person will most definitely be paying attention to this for tomorrow's sub. I did test a level 70 Prowler in DDQ, but the next node/match had my maxed Prowler put in place, so it would appear it's possibly only equally leveled toons (and based on your observation, maybe even then where one has a support and one doesn't?)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I sort of assume this kind of change would require an actual app update (to R195, for example).  I hope it did get changed but I remain dubious.

Looking forward to the report tomorrow.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Options
    Welp, unfortunately this wasn't actually updated. Confirmed my Rockets rotated in and out after each match after putting a different costume on each. Oh well.