Would You Support Banning Broken Cards with In-Kind Compensation?

2»

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cull broken cards. Compensation can be some mix of the above and/or something else altogether.
    Quantius said:
    jtwood said:
    Quantius said:
    jtwood said:
    Quantius said:
    The issue with that is that is gives the devs a "get out of jail free" card. It's a bandaid that absolves them of improving things and just gives them a tool for future broken cards and no incentive to not create broken cards.
    In all seriousness... Is that really a bad outcome?

Potentially. If that became their default option when something broke we could just keep losing stuff.
    But their default option is already to publish broken stuff. And that hasn't seemed to be be on a track to change despite our voluminous complaints for a very long time. So it's not really a shift from the status quo if they keep putting out broken stuff. The only change in the scenario above is that we actually get some form of remediation compared to now, where we get nothing but broken cards to sit around in our collection, to pull as dupes from packs, and to basically waste our time.
    I hear that, but recently Animist's Awakening was bugged, but then they fixed it. It's a card I use a lot, and I'm really glad it got fixed rather than logging in to find it gone and in it's place a couple of orbs. If there's no reason to fix a card, then I could only imagine how many good or fun cards would get melted away. Jodah was a lot of fun, but then he got bugged and didn't work. He got fixed.

Basically, not all bugged cards stay bugged. So what would be the time frame for something to get fixed v trashed? And what would their reason be to not just say "we tried, but we're past the "fix" time frame so here are your orbs."?
    I will concede that, sure, this could be something everyone wants to do but the devil's details end up derailing the idea in its entirety. I was more curious if people would even accept that end state as a concept.

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Keep broken cards. They should be fixed to work as designed/intended.
    I can remember a time when this game was significantly less buggy than it is now. If I believed it was absolutely impossible that we'd ever get back there - that this game will definitely just continue to get buggier and buggier with each passing update - then I'd just quit. And maybe that will happen eventually; there's a level of bugginess I just won't put up with or try to play through, and this game brushes up against that point at times already. But if it does happen that the game becomes too buggy for me to stomach and I lose hope for a less buggy future, I'm not gonna care what they do about all the broken cards, cuz I'm just gonna uninstall.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Quantius said:
    I hear that, but recently Animist's Awakening was bugged, but then they fixed it. It's a card I use a lot, and I'm really glad it got fixed rather than logging in to find it gone and in it's place a couple of orbs.
    Apart from that, Animist's Awakening is also a good example of why the idea would often be impractical.  The bug affecting AA could occur for every single card where a gem conversion was triggered by a gem match on the board.  The amount of work it'd take to identify all such cards and suspend them from the game (then bring them back once the bug was fixed) is probably not too far removed from the work taken to actually fix the bug.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Cull broken cards. Compensation can be some mix of the above and/or something else altogether.
    Volrak said:
    (then bring them back once the bug was fixed)
    Ah, see, I only envision this being applied to cards they just never fix. Gone for good. Never coming back.
    Culled.

• JohnnyXII
    JohnnyXII Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Yes, as with tabletop magic banning cards should be here. It keeps the game fair and level
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keep broken cards. They should be fixed to work as designed/intended.
    JohnnyXII said:
    Yes, as with tabletop magic banning cards should be here. It keeps the game fair and level
    I think they mean broken as in glitched, not overpowered.  Easy mixup tho