Bug tdw [Investigating]

Julie71
Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
And soft lock during opponent turn kiora activated ability.  And nothing else, can access battle log. Lps hasn't activated.

Comments

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    On b node
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    For clarity, the bug appears to be something like:
    Whenever an effect applies a change in state to a double-sided card in hand, the game freezes.

Examples include:
    • Adding "can't be drained or raised" to a double-sided card in hand
    • Giving Flash to a double-sided card in hand
    • Disabling a double-sided card in hand

The Right node in the current coalition event (TDW) has a perma-support which does things to cards in hand when the 1st or 3rd Planeswalker abilities are used.  So on that node, the game is freezing any time players use their 1st or 3rd PW ability and have a double-sided card in hand.
  • coldity
    coldity Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I'm just wondering, because the flipcards were always playable in the TDW event since it has been released and to my knowledge they never caused any trouble or game freezes at all.

So why do they now??

• Yammanig
    Yammanig Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Both freezes I’ve had in that node have been when chromium has been activated . 
    Old event new freeze. 
  • WiLDRAGE
    WiLDRAGE Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Yammanig said:
    Both freezes I’ve had in that node have been when chromium has been activated . 
    Old event new freeze. 
    I have experienced the same twice.  Both times it was Ral's first ability.  The first time when I did it, second game when the CPU did it.
  • InfiniteChaos
    InfiniteChaos Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2019
    I had a freeze along with teammates who have had the same freeze. All in the Chromium node after AI triggered first ability. We were all playing against Tamiyo decks.  I’m wondering if anyone waited out the freeze and was able to continue play?
  • Wolfbane
    Wolfbane Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Same here, lost 2 charges on this. Also noticed the effect appears to manifest after triggering the permanent support or after opening the game status screen
  • Guestplayer
    Guestplayer Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    lucky you only lost 2... ive frozen 8 times on the top node and top right node then i lost 3 in a row due to ai having
    15 cascades in a row and 3-4 extra swaps each time...im really having a bad coalition weekend lol

• Volrak
    This is an active bug which is still causing many game freezes for many players.  Please prioritise it accordingly.

To repeat, the bug appears to be:
    Whenever an effect applies a change in state to a double-sided card in hand, the game freezes.

Today in a TGT game, the opponent played the Teferi, Time Raveler vanguard, and then used its 2nd ability ("The first spell in your hand gains 3 mana and Flash"), at which point the game soft-froze (menu can be opened but no other game actions can be taken).

• Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
    Volrak said:
    This is an active bug which is still causing many game freezes for many players.  Please prioritise it accordingly.

To repeat, the bug appears to be:

Today in a TGT game, the opponent played the Teferi, Time Raveler vanguard, and then used its 2nd ability ("The first spell in your hand gains 3 mana and Flash"), at which point the game soft-froze (menu can be opened but no other game actions can be taken).

I lost TWO matches because of this bug in TGT.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Oktagon_Support @Tombstone this seems pretty serious.  There are a lot of possible interactions that could trigger this bug, if it really is just "anything messing with a double sided card" triggering it.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hello guys,

Thank you for the feedback! This will be investigated.
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I’m getting this in training grounds too. Using Teferi VG’s ability to give a flip card flash +3 mana locks it every time. Probably does it in every event.
  • Larz70
    Larz70 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    @Oktagon_Support I posted this over at General Discussion but is reposting here to aid in your investigation.

The problem appears to be tied with back side of split cards.  Adventure cards seem to be implemented similar to a split card where the spell is the back side.  Here is the behavior when copying the back side of split and adventure cards:

1. When copying the back side and when it's filled with mana (as Thousand Year Storm does henceforth referred to as TYS), it uses the mana cost of the front side.  For example, Connive(7)/Concoct(8), when TYS copies and fills it with mana, it only gives Concoct 7 mana.  Not an issue when front side mana cost > back side mana cost.
    2. Once the back side copy can be casted, it actually is casting the front side (depending on what the front side does, it may not do anything).  For example, casting Concoct actually casts Connive but it won't do anything if the opponent has no power < 3 creature.  Casting the copied Threat of Thrash/Threat split card casts Thrash instead and asks you for a target.
    3. Similar to #2, the copied spell side of the adventure card will cast the creature instead onto the field.
    4. Once casted, it is returned to your hand and can be casted again (!).  In the case of split cards, you'll have to fill it with mana again (and just like before, it will cast the front side).  In the case of adventure cards, it automatically casts the creature again and goes into an infinite loop (log shows multiple casting but creature remains at 1x)
    5. When viewing the copied split card in hand, you can flip the cards back and forth, but if you choose the front side, it flips back to the back side when you return it to your hand.  In other words, you can only choose the back side (even though it only casts the front side)
    As you can see, the behavior is really abnormal.  Hopefully, this can be fixed soon.

If the fix is difficult to implement and the problem is primarily with back-side copies of split cards, I suggest turning copies into normal single cards (i.e., lose their split evergreen), similar to how adventure cards return as creature only without the spell side.  This might be easier to implement as you already have a way of turning split cards into single cards.

Thank you.
  • Volrak
    This looks like the same bug as https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/80893/teferi-time-raveler-bug (It affects far more than just TDW).
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I made the mistake of using Veil of Summer with a flip card in hand today. Cost me a match in RaW. Hopefully this one gets fixed in 4.0. So many flip cards are integral to competitive play, especially for set restricted events like RaW where we can’t use ELD (yet?).