How important is Okoye tanking over Thor? / And advice on what to do

2»

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champ your Thor and deal with him tanking red (probably forever)!
    I've never had my Okoye tank red over Thor.  Sure, it means some awkwardness occasionally as I have to avoid red (particularly when taking down Gritty,) but it's almost always avoidable.  As a counterpoint to those saying to keep Thor softcapped - I use Thor a lot.  Not just for PVP, but also for PVE, and in PVE Thorkoye is often overkill - I can do more damage with a different character and I don't have to build TUs for the boom.  The damage/AP gen every turn adds up fairly quickly.
    Looks like everyone here is making a good argument, though.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2019
    I had been chasing Thor for a while, and was incredibly excited to be a part of the Thorkoye club, so I champed him without looking back. He had no champ levels until recently, so I'd been rocking with a 452 Okoye/450 Thor. I pulled a champ level from Worthy Challengers, and Shardmas got me 2 additional levels, so now its 453 Thor/452 Okoye. 

Thor tanking red now hasn't really made a difference - but its worth noting that I have the fortune of having BSSM champed, so Thorkoye chills on the bench while BSSM/Daredevil deal with the Gritty teams. I don't necessarily share the same views on softcapping, but as Granne mentioned Thor gets to God Mode a little sooner. This occasionally comes at the cost of not being able to retain as many TU tiles in the beginning due to "Wakanda Forever", but the yellow you eventually start getting passively makes up for this. 
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Save all the covers so Okoye keeps tanking!
    Okoye tanking is way more meaningful than the extra damage. You'll lose that much power strength in one turn of her burning TUP for not being in front, so you'll have lost the ability to actively match red for no actual benefit.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okoye is my only 5* Shard-collector and Shuri is my 4*. It's going to be a LONG time before my Okoye is tanking, but I also don't mind how it plays now. The burns are rare and the boosts to his health are pretty meaningful. My Thor just passed 60k total health and 30k for half lasts a lot longer than 20k and below... even when there are accidents.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Save all the covers so Okoye keeps tanking!
    My Thor tanks red, but I don't use thorkoye that much.  I DO know there's been enough occasions where there's only ONE match available on the board, and it's a Thor color.  Then he eats 20k damage in cascades the next turn.  The less opportunities you give the AI to screw you over, the better.  
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I've always had Thorkoye at baby champ levels. It almost never forces Thor to be left in front. Okoye tanks off colors over him too. 
    Only "good" reason to keep Okoye tanking red is to deny red matches for the AI a bit more. Some fights against high level 5's might not have been wipes if I could have removed red more actively. Probably. Or the RNG would have still provided the AI with the AP it needed. :) 
    Keeping Thor TU damage under DD's is way more important for keeping him hidden, if that's a team you like to use...