How important is Okoye tanking over Thor? / And advice on what to do

Options
Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
Here’s my situation:

Okoye = level 453
Thor = level 440 (5/5/3) with 4 saved

So in chasing BRB covers in his release store, I pulled down 4 additional Thor covers. Oh... and another 500 shards for good measure after Shardmas 2. 

I’m curious on what to do here. As I see it, my options are 

1) 440 Thor w/ 8 saved and 500 shards

2) 459 Thor w/ 6 levels over Okoye

3) 440 Thor with 4 saved and start a 5-cover dupe (wish I’d have thought of this 4 saved covers ago!)

I don’t think a 459 Thor is any scarier than a 440 on defense. Both are easily beaten.

On offense, the question is whether matches will be faster with Thor’s increased power damage or slower since I won’t be matching my two primary offensive colors (red/green) and only getting them passively. 

Has anyone made this “transition” from Okoye tanking to Thor tanking, and ultimately is it worth it? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Adding a poll for funsies. 

How important is Okoye tanking over Thor? / And advice on what to do 46 votes

Save all the covers so Okoye keeps tanking!
43%
DeNappaRealstuff_NameChangeabmorazVhailorxBasepuzzlerjreddsupergarvKGBmarshallProtoformXProjectus2501furbear00000BzhaiskittledaddyVins2nordhofswedenMrcl25MoonKnightIIAlonditeIIfuzz22 20 votes
Champ your Thor and deal with him tanking red (probably forever)!
43%
KolencekillercoolGrimSkaldCT1888jackstar0LavaManLeeultimate_rizzo[Deleted User]bluewolfPants1000BoyWonder1914granneYakiyasaibowla33dramatistMomo988Scofiejp1Godzillafan67PinkoMcFlyToo 20 votes
Start a 5-cover dupe!
6%
JackDeath666Borstockcrackninja 3 votes
I don’t know dude... that’s a tough one...
6%
maguirenumber6ThaRoadWarriorrandomhero1090 3 votes

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m similarly interested in Thor builds these days; trying to decide if a 5/0/2 build is worth chasing for PVE clears with Okoye or if it makes a huge difference that he is champed
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    More data:

459 Thor increases over 440 Thor

+2,101 AOE damage on green
    +2,014 damage on red (+108 for each special)
    +103 protect strength on yellow (which I’ll likely never use)
    +80-100 bump in match damage in primary colors
    +7,823 health

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Power damage from thor is effectively meaningless.  Okoye black is all the power strength you need.

Assuming you have 5 green covers and will not use thorkoye as a defensive team in PvP, there is no need to champ Thor at all.  Better off with okoye tanking red.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Power damage from thor is effectively meaningless.  Okoye black is all the power strength you need.

Assuming you have 5 green covers and will not use thorkoye as a defensive team in PvP, there is no need to champ Thor at all.  Better off with okoye tanking red.
    What are your thoughts on the dupe option? If I could down the road get a dupe to a decent number of covers, I could use it with Okoye, and champ the main to play with others. 
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My Thor is about four levels higher than Okoye, and it works just fine. If he's in god-mode you really don't need to worry about matching red and green because you'll get plenty. If he's not in god-mode it'll get him there quicker.

I should point out, in the interests of full disclosure, that I hate soft-capping on principle.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I couldn’t believe the difference in dealing with Gritty teams when my Okoye started tanking red. Very nice.
  • Vhailorx
    edited December 2019
    Options
    granne said:
    My Thor is about four levels higher than Okoye, and it works just fine. If he's in god-mode you really don't need to worry about matching red and green because you'll get plenty. If he's not in god-mode it'll get him there quicker.

I should point out, in the interests of full disclosure, that I hate soft-capping on principle.
    It works just fine when Thor tanks red.  It just works even better when he doesn't.  And there are basically not offsetting benefits to leveling Thor.  The extra power damage is trivial when okoye will regularly do 20+k on every cast (and whenever possible you will bring a 3rd like sabertooth to proc okoye more efficiently).  The extra health is of limited utility since you need tp half kill him anyway.  And the extra match damage is actively detrimental.  So you basically only care about the champ rewards.  Some HP, 1 LT and 25cp.  Nice to be sure, not worth the extra in-game utility IMO.  Of course, ymmv if you hate softcapping.  I personally find that planning and abstinence are very often extremely effective in MPQ's economy, so I only make a big(ish) leap like that when there is clear, immediate benefit.  Especially wherever the cost of waiting is limited, and the move is irreversible.

• Vhailorx
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

What are your thoughts on the dupe option? If I could down the road get a dupe to a decent number of covers, I could use it with Okoye, and champ the main to play with others. 
    That's a viable strat.  The upside is as you said.  The downside is as follows:. I did the same thing with 4* Prof X.  I built a dupe (currently 5/3/0) to keep my winfinite team functional.  But I use winfinite less and less in 5* land.  So basically I just wasted 8 champ levels on 4* X that would have gotten me an extra 5* X cover today.  Both the upside and downside are limited, but this is also a play you can't un-make.
  • Mrcl25
    Mrcl25 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Having Okoye tank red helps a lot in fights against Gritty.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Meta and smart underbuilds can kiss my shiny metal Talos. Max champ is the endgame.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you've already converted the covers you received to saved covers, then creating a dupe won't be particularly effective. You could roster a second Thor with the shards, but you'd only be able to apply one extra cover to the dupe due to the 3:1 exchange rate for converting saved covers to power levels.

It seems better to stick with one copy of Thor, whether you keep him underlevelled or decide to champ him.

• Daredevil217
    Options
    jamesh said:

If you've already converted the covers you received to saved covers, then creating a dupe won't be particularly effective. You could roster a second Thor with the shards, but you'd only be able to apply one extra cover to the dupe due to the 3:1 exchange rate for converting saved covers to power levels.

It seems better to stick with one copy of Thor, whether you keep him underlevelled or decide to champ him.

I have 4 on the vine and 500 shards. 

I thought I could turn that into a 5-cover dupe. 

The main (only right now) Thor is under-leveled with 4 saved.  I didn’t think I could use his saved covers to upgrade a dupe’s power level. The plan (well one of many) was to keep Thor #1 at 5/5/3 +4. Thor #2 would be 2/1/2. When I get Thor #2 to 13, I’d champ Thor #1 and have a 454 and a 440. Then any future Thor’s earned would go to the 454. Also, I can build the dupe 5/5/3, and any extra I pull outside that build could be saved to the main for when he’s champed. Or does it not work that way?
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, creating a dupe just sounds way more work than it is worth - how long before you will reach 13 covers on the dupe? Who knows what the meta will be, or if there will have been nerfs in that time, so instead of

I know that this game can be played long, but I cannot imagine doing that. 

As above, I created a dupe Prof X, but by the time I had it built the way I wanted it, I didn't need it. The time involved for an extra 8 covers is way longer.

Fwiw, my Thor tanks red over Okoye, and the vast majority of the time that's not been a problem, and it's a bonus when trying to get him below health threshold as was mentioned earlier. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. My Thor is also 440, with Okoye tanking red over Thor. So far I haven't champed him even though I got a few saved covers for him now. Never really thought about rostering a dupe until you mentioned the option here! But I will probably not do that as it would probably take years to gather covers for him.

I considered using a support to increase Red match damage for Okoye, but I don't know if there is one and also ever since I got the Royal Talon Fighter for her, I'm unlikely to swap it out just for that.

For now I'm not really considering champing him, I like Okoye tanking red just fine as it will make Thor last longer and prevent more teamup AP being eaten by Okoye's passive.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,707 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Never been a problem for me. Extremely rare I have to make a thor match, almost never happens. Most of the time I can cure that firing yellow and then matching TU. I can see the benefit but it’s a non issue for me and mine has tanked red since the day okoye came out and always will.

I don’t use that team against gritty anyway, I use DD and BSSM as it’s far more reliable for me.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Champing him would effectively double the odds of having to match a colour with Thor in a Gritty fight. Having to reset Thor mid-PvP is awful.
    The meta might change and you can always save for an Okoye store, don't build a dupe.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    [...] I didn’t think I could use his saved covers to upgrade a dupe’s power level. [...]
    Is that how that works? I figured the pool of "saved" covers was available for all instances of that character, but i could see it being either one; I've not had that situation arise on my own roster
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you do make a dup, and intend to use the lower level one in matches, you'll have to re-select him each fight, since the game will switch to the higher level one every time.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,278 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My champed Thor is so much fun to play with in the game that I don't regret him taking Red/Yellow over my champed Okoye at all.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Never been a problem for me. Extremely rare I have to make a thor match, almost never happens. Most of the time I can cure that firing yellow and then matching TU. I can see the benefit but it’s a non issue for me and mine has tanked red since the day okoye came out and always will.

I don’t use that team against gritty anyway, I use DD and BSSM as it’s far more reliable for me.
    I play that team for fun against Gritty a ton. But in crunch time, when I need a quick hop against a sea of Gritty, there is none faster than Thorkoye. And the importance of Okoye tanking in THOSE matches can’t be understated. I totally forgot about the Gritty factor. 

If you do make a dup, and intend to use the lower level one in matches, you'll have to re-select him each fight, since the game will switch to the higher level one every time.
    This is another good point. I’m so sick of Thorkoye that I really only use them when I need speed. I didn’t think about how having 2 would slow me down. 

Right now I’m leaning toward saving the covers in the event of a meta shift (another excellent point stated earlier) and continuing on with the 440, but I still have awhile to decide.