Switching Gears - How the Grinch Stole your Progress

Options
Kevmcg
Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
Quick Summary of status - Day 1872, Level 200, 400 roster slots - full 2* and 3* farms, most 4* dupes are champed, all 5* champed except for most recent, but will be when I use my 1000+ pulls.

Only going to talk about the current fiasco to say that I am disgusted at the decision making and unfairness. Many others have commented with all the right thoughts, perceptions, and facts which I agree with. The RIGHT decision to provide established norms of FAIR rewards should have already been made and applied. Taking a long time to decide is also BAD.

BACK TO THIS POST TOPIC - We all need to understand and not get distracted from the larger, long term issue - LOSS of CP.

Of all the resources, CP is the most critical. Established players earn more Iso and HP than they need through regular play, but you can never get enough CP. CP is the engine that drives 5* and the 4* feeders as well as gaining all the other resources. Smart players know how fast they earn CP (1500 per season), how many pulls it represents, and roughly what pull results they will earn. Any reduction in CP is a MAJOR blow to progressing in the game and its enjoyment for players.

The shard system is a distracting shiny object. Knowing exactly where you stand seems, at first, like a good thing. Until you realize, you now know that you have partial shard characters all over the place in various stages of development. When you target a character, you have to make sure you make it just over the threshold before you switch to another. The Bonus Hero system gave you full levels when you earned them - no waste. The most disturbing part of the recent changes is the reduction in rewards for players with farms. It is already significant how much slower we are receiving shards that equate to a BH at the 2* and 3* levels. Some say that we will get PVE/PVP rewards in the future. That should have already been launched. Until then, we have taken a large step back. Based on current decision making, I expect it will be 1/3 of the fair amount.

I'll close with this - the game has been around for over 6 years mostly because match-3 play is timeless and the Marvel brand is fantastic. It would not hurt to err at times on the side of players. Even though we will always want more, there is a level of FAIRNESS that we all expect when we play a game and devote time and resources. What is the harm in providing established and fair DIGITAL assets to the entire player base. What is the harm to providing a Target Hero system ADDITIONAL to Bonus Heroes? What is the harm in adding MORE CP to rewards as the game ages with ever more characters?  You are seeing the harm that is caused when you go the other way. This is the Holiday season and this was not the time to be a Grinch!

Comments

• shinnaruto
    shinnaruto Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    They have replaced this difference with shards that can be purchased with hero points, which can be paid for with money. It is just the further monetization of the game. Need that 13th Kitty and Hawkeye cover for the meta?? Keep an eye on the shards rotating through the store!

It is also stretching out the game's end.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm with Daz on this. Stop looking solely on how changes affect you. The debate on retroactive rewards is already a divisive battle between vets and non-vets. This doesn't help the game improve for all players.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They have replaced this difference with shards that can be purchased with hero points, which can be paid for with money. It is just the further monetization of the game. Need that 13th Kitty and Hawkeye cover for the meta?? Keep an eye on the shards rotating through the store!

It is also stretching out the game's end.
    Funny thing is, because HP is something that I naturally earn in-game, I was mostly ok with this. But I'm not ok with that fact that my shard store is completely random, and I legit have no idea when to expect that Kitty, who I'm targeting at the moment, may be in there. I also don't remember to look every day, so there's even a possibility she's been there, but I missed her. 

So then I can say, well hey, at least I can focus on Emma and 3-Clops! Well yeah.....but I have to go through the painful slog of earning shards. Focusing on my shard collection on pulls with 3-clops might work decently fast enough, but then I'm not getting Emma covers, I'm getting shards.......only enough for 1 1/2 of Emma Cover for each flip of 3-Clops. My Emma still needs another 13 champs levels before I start getting Kitty shards, and I have no choice but to move at a snails pace to get them. What a fun year 2020 is going to be. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    An honest piece of advice to 5* players - don't play down the loss of HP. It might not matter to you but include it in your complaints because it is the lifeblood for lower roster players (not including myself here as I am an advanced 4* player but the HP loss hurts also). You will get more players across ALL tiers supporting you if you include them in your complaints and all players seem upset in various ways at all of this. 
    Yup, HP reduction is a big deal too.  Not as much of an issue for 5* players (at least not until one hits the 2k per roster slot threshold), but it's even more important for newer players who are HP starved more aggressively.  I think that is a significant topic worthy of discussion. 

But I interpreted this thread as a discussion about the loss of cp relative to the retroactive rewards uproar in the context of 5* players.  And HP is not relevant to that particular topic.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    An honest piece of advice to 5* players - don't play down the loss of HP. It might not matter to you but include it in your complaints because it is the lifeblood for lower roster players (not including myself here as I am an advanced 4* player but the HP loss hurts also). You will get more players across ALL tiers supporting you if you include them in your complaints and all players seem upset in various ways at all of this. 
    Yup, HP reduction is a big deal too.  Not as much of an issue for 5* players (at least not until one hits the 2k per roster slot threshold), but it's even more important for newer players who are HP starved more aggressively.  I think that is a significant topic worthy of discussion. 

But I interpreted this thread as a discussion about the loss of cp relative to the retroactive rewards uproar in the context of 5* players.  And HP is not relevant to that particular topic.
    No probs and agreed.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't like the loss of HP either, but is not as damaging to progress as the loss of CP.
    Yes - newer players care more because of the need to add more slots in shorter time. I "only" have to add one every 2 weeks or so.

They got you covered for that though. Just so happens, less CP, means fewer covers, means fewer slots needed as quickly.

This is not a topic to discuss vets vs. newer players - EVERYONE'S progress has been slowed under new system, new players may not notice it yet with other resource needs clouding the issue - as is the retro reward issue.
  • shinnaruto
    shinnaruto Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    It is all pushing everyone more to buying.

Need roster slots? Buy a Logan's Loonies.
    Need those 5* covers? We got the shards for sale! Buy a Logan's Loonies.... or two.
  • Treras
    Treras Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2019
    Options
    HP and CP reduction in rewards will hurt everyone but that's the way D3 want's it.

Now they only need to "balance" the meta chars (Thor, Kitty, etc) and *then* release new OP chars. That's yet another way to force players to spend.

Grim prediction? Well see.