Options
2»

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    Options
    James13 said:
    Gatewatch was basically defeated by Emrakul, yes.  And Emrakul ominously noted that it wasn't "her" time yet.  Emrakul will be back and is happy awaiting her time of destruction.

You have to take note somewhat of what Ugin said about the Eldrazi titans.  It's not malevolence or anything that guides them.  View them more of a till that turns over the soil.  Or a volcano that erases/builds new islands in the multiverse.

Nahiri used the nature of them to seek revenge against Sorin.  Emrakul didn't really appreciate the fact she was brought there when the plane wasn't ready for her.  Yet.

The Eldrazi are kind of a force of nature.  Operating at a level or dimension beyond the ones of the planeswalkers, Bolas, etc.  Because they are somewhat primal forces they could be predicted and manipulated.  But they are still soemwhat unknowable.  The manifestations the story has interacted with were described by Ugin as if a human reached a hand of themselves into a pool of water and we, as fish, see only the hand and try to understand it as such.  The titans we know are a fraction or piece of an unknown whole elsewhere.

That makes them kind of fascinating from the story perspective.
    It is pretty neat especially the way you described it, but this also could easily be used as a crutch to patch up huge holes in the storyline.
    "Well, I guess they just didn't feel like finishing the battle because *ominous unknowy reasons*"

But maybe I'll think differently if they explain it thoroughly later, and it makes sense.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a crutch so much as heavily "elder gods" Lovecraft inspired.

And it's as cool a place as any to take inspiration from.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    James13 said:
    I wouldn't call it a crutch so much as heavily "elder gods" Lovecraft inspired.

And it's as cool a place as any to take inspiration from.
    Yeah, the entire Emrakul thing has a very "At the Mountains of Madness" feel to it.
    Probably why I loved it so much  :D