A suggested change that would appease those who already Miss Bonus Heroes while keeping Shargets:

Have a very low chance (read: lower even than Bonus Heroes had been) to "finish" the Shard Meter any time Shards are accrued. 

Okoye's meter is at 201 and you just opened a Token? 204? WHATS THIS? Suddenly her meter is full. It's the thrill / excitement of pulling a Bonus Hero all over again.

Of course, you open the door for those upsetting situations where you were at like 480 and you pull one and only get a few extra shards from it, and some people would complain that it's not fair, etc, but I'd be willing to be that would be a very small group of people, since even then you're still getting several tokens' worth of shards from a single token, and the odds of doing it when it would benefit less than a single token would be astronomically small.

My 2c

Comments

• JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Or even randomly-awarded additional shards above and beyond the "standard" award would provide some of that dopamine boost.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem with shards is it shows you how long its going to take which is extremely demoralizing. With bonus heroes they could pop up whenever which made it exciting. Even though sometimes it would take months or weeks for it to pop up, but sometimes you got bonus heroes back to back which was amazing.

Now you know its going to X amount of time to accrue the shards needed to apply one cover, which sucks. Its so depressing knowing that its going to take this exorbitant amount of time, when the other method it could happen whenever and make your day.

I'm hating shards more and more everyday cause the best way to earn shards is by spending.

Im not spending another dime on this game.

• IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    The problem with shards is it shows you how long its going to take which is extremely demoralizing. With bonus heroes they could pop up whenever which made it exciting. Even though sometimes it would take months or weeks for it to pop up, but sometimes you got bonus heroes back to back which was amazing.

Now you know its going to X amount of time to accrue the shards needed to apply one cover, which sucks. Its so depressing knowing that its going to take this exorbitant amount of time, when the other method it could happen whenever and make your day.

I'm hating shards more and more everyday cause the best way to earn shards is by spending.

Hence my idea of throwing in random "full completions" - that would trigger the exciting boost.

Having it be entirely reliant on randomness was just lootboxy, which is problematic for children and has been shown to be very addictive to young minds. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Random "full completion"s are never going to happen, because they're entirely too strong.

Based on the HP cost to buy Shards in the store, and the cost of HP, we're looking at north of $100 to buy a single 5-star cover.

And you're suggesting that occasionally the meter just fills up. That's like the game randomly giving you, say, $60 worth of resources for free.

If you swapped your "full completion" with "5 shards", then maybe it might be a bit more reasonable. Or, given the shard values, maybe "double shards" on that single pull (and never on 10x or 40x packs)
  • IIAlonditeII
    JHawkInc said:
    Random "full completion"s are never going to happen, because they're entirely too strong.

Based on the HP cost to buy Shards in the store, and the cost of HP, we're looking at north of $100 to buy a single 5-star cover.

And you're suggesting that occasionally the meter just fills up. That's like the game randomly giving you, say, $60 worth of resources for free.

If you swapped your "full completion" with "5 shards", then maybe it might be a bit more reasonable. Or, given the shard values, maybe "double shards" on that single pull (and never on 10x or 40x packs)
    Lofty, perhaps, but no loftier than a Bonus Hero was, and they were comfortable utilizing those. And nevermind that at it's best and rarest, my suggestion is only equal to a bonus hero. Usually, if you have a hero targeted, you'll have some progress on it (to some degree). In otherwords, very rarely would you be redeeming an entire bar with this concept. Usually, you'd be redeeming much less.
  • JHawkInc
    You're suggesting both be in play, which is, at a bare minimum, better than bonus heroes. It's not "equal at best." It's better by default.

The point of shifting between them is to go from "one cover every X pulls" to "1/Xth of a cover every pull," and what you're suggesting speeds that up. Randomly filling the bar for shards is the equivalent of randomly putting you Z number of pulls closer to a bonus hero (without actually having to make those pulls).

The change in system was meant to be a mostly lateral move, and you're suggesting something that is faster, because no matter when it triggers it will result in more covers given out over time.
  • IIAlonditeII
    JHawkInc said:
    You're suggesting both be in play, which is, at a bare minimum, better than bonus heroes. It's not "equal at best." It's better by default.

The point of shifting between them is to go from "one cover every X pulls" to "1/Xth of a cover every pull," and what you're suggesting speeds that up. Randomly filling the bar for shards is the equivalent of randomly putting you Z number of pulls closer to a bonus hero (without actually having to make those pulls).

The change in system was meant to be a mostly lateral move, and you're suggesting something that is faster, because no matter when it triggers it will result in more covers given out over time.
    "mostly a lateral move" was actually a slightly backward move, that generated a more consistent pace.

You are correct, I am suggesting something faster. I thought this was apparent in post number 1.
  • JHawkInc
    Well, I thought it was apparent, and then you claimed it was equal to bonus heroes, which is a direct contradiction to the idea that it's faster.

"Slightly backwards plus a more consistent pace" IS lateral. The tradeoff matters. You can't look at the downside and call it bad and ignore the upsides (plural, because in addition to the consistent pace we're also getting colorless covers).

The point is that it isn't something that needs a drastic fix, and that even if it does need tweaking, the suggestion on hand is too heavy-handed to ever be implemented. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be cool with receiving bonus shards here and there. Make shards a resource that can be won for winning matches similar to iso and 2* covers.
  • IIAlonditeII
    JHawkInc said:
    Well, I thought it was apparent, and then you claimed it was equal to bonus heroes, which is a direct contradiction to the idea that it's faster.

"Slightly backwards plus a more consistent pace" IS lateral. The tradeoff matters. You can't look at the downside and call it bad and ignore the upsides (plural, because in addition to the consistent pace we're also getting colorless covers).

The point is that it isn't something that needs a drastic fix, and that even if it does need tweaking, the suggestion on hand is too heavy-handed to ever be implemented. 
    We are saying 2 entirely different things.

I am aware that adding my suggestion to shards is faster than Shards currently is. I am also saying that my suggestion, in itself, is not faster than Bonus Heroes. "Getting the rest of a cover" cannot be faster than "Getting a complete cover". Whether or not my suggestion, added on to Shards, is faster in total than Bonus Heroes depends entirely on the % chance of the event occurring. Obviously, if it were, say, 1 in 1,000, this would not be faster than Bonus Heroes was. By that same token, the % chance of the event occurring could be so low as to be a "tweak" and not at all heavy-handed. You're taking this as if this has to happen 1 out of every 20 pulls or something.

It seems you're more anxious to disapprove than to understand.

Also, please find where I've called it bad. I'd love for you to manage that!
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards

How many people were demoralized and hated rng on top of rng with bonus heros?

How many people quit spending or quit completely because of frustration of never knowing when a bonus hero would hit?

How many people asked for streak breakers so they had guaranteed progress toward what they wanted?

This is a lateral move that takes out the dry spells and rng. I like it. I'm actually more willing to spend than before because I know exactly what my purchase will get me.