Options

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you never had rubber banding you can't call yourself a veteran
    *shakes fist at clouds*

abmoraz said:
    What's a....base(?) ball? That some kind of sport thing?
    It's like Cricket, only it has an ending.
    As a Scotsman, I'd take a T20 match over expensive rounders. They last about the same time as well. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CT1888 said:
    *shakes fist at clouds*

I see your rubber banding and raise you 3 attempts on offense in PVP.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    CT1888 said:
    *shakes fist at clouds*

I see your 3 attempts on offense in PVP and raise you environment tiles.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you have survived the warzone that was gambit. Then you are a vet?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's an interesting question. I'm guessing there are some people who consider me a vet, but given how many players there are who have been around longer than me, I don't really feel like it myself, even after 2 1/2 years and a handful of 5* champs. I think part of that feeling is that I don't really try to compete at the highest levels. I can get t50 in PvE on the strength of my roster, t20 if I really try and get a bit lucky, but I really don't care enough to go to the lengths of optimization that the people who win events do, and there are still a significant number of PvP events where I don't bother going past 575.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What's a....base(?) ball? That some kind of sport thing?
    It's what you watch when paint drying is a little too exciting for you.  Or you need motivation to get extra sleep or drink lots more beer.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Remember when adding a cover to your character was the original health pack?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AdamMagus said:
    Dang.  Nice throwback.

I was just thinking recently about how when you used to level up (by holding down the button, not just clicking it), a level up fully healed the character.

And so, my roster slowly grew, because i figured, why waste the instant health ups?  I just fought until they needed healing, leveled them once, repeat.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    Day 2131.

I play to progression for PvE.
    pvp.... Eh, just for fun, and the occasional prizes if im feeling like it.

Environment tiles.... Ah, i liked those.  It was a bit of random spice.  Of course, it was short lived.

Venom's 1 hit kill Devour was silly.  The things people (myself included) would try in order to get those web tiles out there.  I desperately tried to make Bagman work, since he could theoretically make 4 webs at once, which was an astounding amount then.

This isnt AS old, but heres something....
    I miss pulling a 4* from a standard token.
    Shoot, I miss just being able to spend ISO on the raffle that was standard tokens, hoping, just hoping, those 100 ISO pulls would get you the 2-star you needed for DPQ or PVE to roster that you sold because you needed the slot for a 3 star or higher who was about to rot on the vine...
  • Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    AdamMagus said:
    Remember when you needed five covers to get a one level power increase in a color?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beast1970 said:
    AdamMagus said:
    Remember when you needed five covers to get a one level power increase in a color?
    aaaaannnd we're done here.
    Well done, furry one.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beast1970 said:
    AdamMagus said:
    Been playing Disney sorcerer’s arena and you need 330 there just to max out a character. At least they don’t have colours but 330 is a bit much. 
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Remember when the Commander had to pay HP to open up Alliance slots?
  • darkwatcherDEZ
    darkwatcherDEZ Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Believe we have quite a few types here when using the term Veteran. Suppose its similar to a military veterans. We have many sandbox survivor veterans that earned the title, but we also still have veterans that survived WWII, Korea, etc.
    Funny how we also have that here with the "Back in myyyyyyyyyyyy dayyyy...Roadside bombs and Hulkbuster  = fear." "Oh yeah? Back in myyyy dayyyyyyyyyyy you breathed in mustard gas and walked on Gangrene feet! Oh and Moonstone robbed you of everything!"

Just our take - If you have been playing enough where the mechanics of the game are second nature, you can easily adapt to changes the devs put in place, you easily identify new character abilities as reused / re-tweaked abilities from older characters, and you find yourself coming here to give more advice then get it, you are likely a veteran.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Words like vet and whale get thrown around too casually.  Lots of players have experience with lots of facets of the game.  But very few true vets who have personal experience about the rise and fall of each tier as the top end meta.  Plus with a full and rich understanding of the various communication networks.

for me a vet need more than mere experience at using 2-5* chars to be a vet.  specifically vets have an understanding of how each tier evolved to compete against the prior tiers and place each char in its context.

how can someone claim to be an expert when they don’t have the experience of leveraging each tier at the rising edge of power, vs height of dominance vs everyone now chasing the next tier.

Specifically every era had its dominant char and you always had to work around a meta.  That has always been true in the 2*-3*-4* transition.  Bishop gritty is hard to play, but no harder than gambit, hulbuster, or patchmags, or even obw ares.

maybe just classify players as vet based on days and expert knowledge based on whether they actually played the tier when it was the rising meta dominant or falling meta.  

so new chairman of the board can all be vets based on days played,  but expert status depends on if they joined the tier early when d3 was still releasing chars and growing that tier. Maybe 1* expert know about the 4* to 5* transition, but a 2* expert would know how to do a transition but also have experience when that tier was the dominant play and knew how to defend points etc.  3* expert would know how to play that tier against stronger chars and the next higher tier etc.

• Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Bowgentle said:
    CT1888 said:
    *shakes fist at clouds*

I see your 3 attempts on offense in PVP and raise you environment tiles.
    I see your environment tiles and raise you 1 +20% Damage to Mutants boost.
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2019
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    StevO-J said:
    ZootSax said:
    AXP_isme said:
    This feels like it’s about to descend into the: I remember when... nostalgia thread. I’ll start!

I might be a vet because... I remember when true healing was nerfed and the pages of outrage it generated on the forum. 

Real pepperidge farms territory there. 
    I was thinking the same thing, although I'm such a casual player I'm probably more of an old, unofficial forum historian than actual veteran.

Then tell us, historian, of the glorious days when the forum (and the game according to the myths...) were ruled by Jamie Madrox..

;) 
    Challenge Accepted...in tv theme song form

Just sit right back and I'll tell a tale, I'll try to keep it tame
    it's all about @JamieMadrox and how he'd break the game
    His prow-ess in PVP was the stuff that led to dread
    and you can read all about it, in this forum thread (in this forum thread)
    (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/21635/the-legend-of-jamie-madrox)
    The tall tales started stacking up, a legend was assured
    I'll now cut this parody song short, because I'm getting bored...
    You are all Maddri.
    But I am Layla Miller.
    I know stuff.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just to throw a random line out there, I say anyone with a champed OML is a veteran (or anyone that had one and sold it when he was nerfed).  

I’m not serious, obviously there are people without a champed OML that qualify, but when I see a roster with some champed 5’s, but only 1 or 2 covers on their OML and Surfer I consider them a newbie. ;)